Turning Stone Classic XXIX Updates - 2018

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone following this TS Classic?

We are getting down to late Saturday and the matches only get better.

I attempted to drive out today, after being delayed at work because of all the emergency situations from the weather.
The road conditions are state of emergency quality, so I was reduced to watching Hatch vs Shaw from a Dennys off the thruway (which was a great match with some surprises and unbelievable Shaw shot making - great to hear Danny D in the booth).

The snow is tapering off and the plows are taking care of the roads so I'm planning to get out there tomorrow to set up camp and watch the finals.

Shaw looks unbeatable as always.
Daigle is surprising John Moora in the one loss side. Can be pull off the upset?

In disappointed Basavich got knocked out earlier, I wanted to get a chance to watch him play.

I have to say, thank God for Upstate Al and the stream. We'd all be missing out if it wasn't for Al and the guys.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Daigle sends John Moora out of the tournament.
Martin had really played a ton in the last few years, even making an impressive showing at the world championships on Doha. Good for him, and I'd like to see him get into Sunday.

But to do that he'll have you play Nelson Olivera next, and then most likely Dennis Hatch after that at 8

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
This is quite a shock.
I only got a chance to watch the end few racks.
The announcers were discussing a soft break. Did cicero just run a 5 pack to close out that match??

I think there was at least one safe in there as well, where Shaw had no chance to hit the OB and tried to tie another ball up, unsuccessfully.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stopped watching to eat when Shaw was up 4-0 I think. And he ended up losing 9-5?! wow. What happened.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there was at least one safe in there as well, where Shaw had no chance to hit the OB and tried to tie another ball up, unsuccessfully.

If counting that safe, would it have been 5 or 6?
So Jayson was in the lead, and only got back to the table once to kick at a ball.

Cicero shawed Shaw at turning stone.
Somewhere, in the distance, Mika is smiling.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I stopped watching to eat when Shaw was up 4-0 I think. And he ended up losing 9-5?! wow. What happened.

At 5-2 shaws opponent started getting all the rolls lucked in a ball and ran out then, lucked in two nine balls, then another 3/9 short rack, then soft broke and had a EASY lock down safe. His soft break made a ball in the lower r/h corner almost every time.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched it also and the soft break rule was mentioned more than once. Should Jason have raised the issue? Joey did get a roll or two but also played very well.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If counting that safe, would it have been 5 or 6?
So Jayson was in the lead, and only got back to the table once to kick at a ball.

Cicero shawed Shaw at turning stone.
Somewhere, in the distance, Mika is smiling.

Ahem...I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you that it's Shawr
...after all, this is Upstate Al's stream.
:smile:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Canadians really bringing it this event. These guys have all become so strong as a group over the last few years. They deserve the success.