Selling cues

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
OK ... couple new folks on my 8ball team this session. Couple folks don't have cues. I am willing to lend one to a team member on league night,, but ...

NOW ... selling.
I'm willing to sell a few cues - not my good ones .. but decent. Does like 15% to 20% less than what I paid sound reasonable?

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bought new and played, down 40%. Bought used, might break even. From my experience, doesn't matter if custom or production, they all go down.

PoppaSaun

Banned
Who knows. You seem like the type of guy who may have overpaid for cues, in which case, no 15-20% off does not sound like a good deal.

If they are production cues that you bought new, I wouldn't pay over 50% of retail. If they are production cues that you bought used at 50% of retail, I'd pay what you paid, depending on condition.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
OK ... couple new folks on my 8ball team this session. Couple folks don't have cues. I am willing to lend one to a team member on league night,, but ...

NOW ... selling.
I'm willing to sell a few cues - not my good ones .. but decent. Does like 15% to 20% less than what I paid sound reasonable?

Lookup the same/similar cues on eBay for prices and go from there. You don't want to end up with hard feelings from a teammate over the price of a cue. Might be best to not sell a teammate anything - remember, no good deed goes unpunished.
Jason

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
New team members means possibly new friends and/or new long term, regular acquaintance. I'd advise giving them a price that they'll still be happy with once they learn a little bit & realize what the cue is actually worth. If they over pay & later find out, which they will, then they'll feel like you took advantage of them. You might be better off directing them to a reputable place to buy a new cue. Whatever you do, don't charge too much, IMO.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New team members means possibly new friends and/or new long term, regular acquaintance. I'd advise giving them a price that they'll still be happy with once they learn a little bit & realize what the cue is actually worth. If they over pay & later find out, which they will, then they'll feel like you took advantage of them. You might be better off directing them to a reputable place to buy a new cue. Whatever you do, don't charge too much, IMO.

Then I have two questions, are you on a league team and is there room for another player, and second, wanna build a new friend a cue?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

NOW ... selling.

Last few used in good shape cues I sold to people I know where for about 25% less than what I paid for them, but close to 40% off the new current price.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Then I have two questions, are you on a league team and is there room for another player, and second, wanna build a new friend a cue?

New team looking for a solid 4 handicap player. Friends first before moving the relationship into a new cue :grin-square:

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
OK - thanks folks.
Not sure I'd go 40% off for any of mine - but I'll also point them to this site and see if they might want something from someone here. I'll tell them it's usually 25% - 40% if buying used too.
To be honest - I really hate to see a few my old players go, but I guess I'll still see most of them around.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what

I have been offered on brand new custom one of one guaranteed for life cues.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
It really depends on the cues, what they are, desirability, who made them, conditions etc.
You can't put a percentage on how much to lose, or even mark up, and sometimes it comes down to availability with cues.
There is no set way to determine it.

Everybody had different taste in cues, and many cues are just too expensive until they hit the secondary market.
A 40% loss isn't uncommon with many cues purchased new at retail prices, and if you call the cuemaker to get the prices he charges, good luck selling them.
I have never called the cuemaker with pricing questions unless I intend to order a cue.
It is virtually impossible for me to make a deal with guys who say "the builder said the cue is worth $$$ " or "the Blue Book says the cue is worth $$$"
Maybe 20% of the used cues out there can sell for close to what the cuemaker tells them it's worth, and 10% that bring a premium.

Then there are the guys who listen to people in the pool hall... "I was told this Viking is worth $2000"

There is no reason to lose 15-20% if you don't have to, just depends on the cue, and how bad you want to sell it.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Guess you missed the sarcasm. AZ is funny in how they interpret posts. One day I am a libeler,the next I am naive.

Yea - text on the Internet can be tough. Especially in larger groups where not everyone knows everyone. Sarcasm and humor don't always come across to everyone.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea - text on the Internet can be tough. Especially in larger groups where not everyone knows everyone. Sarcasm and humor don't always come across to everyone.

I love Sarcasm and Humor..

I do agree with your first post. I sell a lot of cues. I would think 15 to 20 percent off of cue that's in good condition is totally fair.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am with the "check the going rate" idea on ebay and probably some of the Facebook groups, although many ask almost full retail. I generally look up "sold items" on ebay. That tells me the realistic market in most cases. I agree with Eric that if you sell them too high you might end up with a problem since they will inevitably come across someone who knows of a better deal somewhere out there in internet land, especially if they are production cues.