# Of U.S TOP Players From The U.S?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I consider SVB, Bergman, Thorpe, and Woodward the only VERY TOP players coming from the U.S. Maybe it's only SVB. Johnnyt

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I assume you mean top world players from the us. If that is what you mean, then only svb can be considered top ten in the world.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I would say Shane is probably the only U.S. player who's in the top 20 in the world. Dechaine is probably still the 2nd-best U.S. player, though Bergman might be close, but I would not put either of them in the top 20 in the world.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I assume you mean top world players from the us. If that is what you mean, then only svb can be considered top ten in the world.

Agreed. Of today's crop, SVB is the only American with significant credentials in events having large internationally balanced fields. Dechaine, of course, has lots of wins over top international players in the biggest events, but he must be viewed as inactive.

I feel that SVB, and I'm not talking about world ranking or performance rating but about the countless matches I've seen live and on stream, is the only American that can be considered top twenty five in the world. SVB is, of course, one of the truly elite players in the world, in my top five.

Last edited:

The-Professor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. Of today's crop, SVB is the only American with significant credentials in events having large internationally balanced fields. Dechaine, of course, has lots of wins over top international players in the biggest events, but he must be viewed as inactive.

I feel that SVB, and I'm not talking about world ranking or performance rating but about the countless matches I've seen live and on stream, is the only American that can be considered top twenty five in the world. SVB is, of course, one of the truly elite players in the world, in my top five.

How do you think the Americans stack up against the world at games like one-pocket or banks? I would think we would have a couple of players that would be considered top 20 in the world in those disciplines.

I would also think that Skyler would be considered top 20 in the world if you played rotation on a bar box.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
The best American players start and end with the Mosconi Cup list (forget the results). It amazes me how much Hatch and Oscar are overlooked. Oscar is tough as nails and Dennis can just flat out play.

You throw in One Pocket and Tony C and Scott make the list.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I would say Shane is probably the only U.S. player who's in the top 20 in the world. Dechaine is probably still the 2nd-best U.S. player, though Bergman might be close, but I would not put either of them in the top 20 in the world.

Fargorate....which is much more indicative of who’s who...
Shane number ONE
Mike Dechaine is number 18
Justin Bergman is number 23

There are 14 Americans in the top hundred.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
How do you think the Americans stack up against the world at games like one-pocket or banks? I would think we would have a couple of players that would be considered top 20 in the world in those disciplines.

I would also think that Skyler would be considered top 20 in the world if you played rotation on a bar box.

If you used that criteria, only Russians would be at the top at Russian Billiards....
...and probably on South Koreans would place at four ball Billiards.

It only makes sense to rate on games played internationally.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The best American players start and end with the Mosconi Cup list (forget the results). It amazes me how much Hatch and Oscar are overlooked. Oscar is tough as nails and Dennis can just flat out play.

You throw in One Pocket and Tony C and Scott make the list.

Oscar is #76 and Dennis is #80.
Mind you, I think it’s an honor to be in the top 100 Fargorate.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oscar is #76 and Dennis is #80.
Mind you, I think it’s an honor to be in the top 100 Fargorate.

I'm still not selling my farm on relying on Fargo rate just that ya I know ya da ya da but on this player played this player who played this player but it's shown a couple chinks in the armor that will eventually correct it self but it's not there just yet

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm still not selling my farm on relying on Fargo rate just that ya I know ya da ya da but on this player played this player who played this player but it's shown a couple chinks in the armor that will eventually correct it self but it's not there just yet

I like it a lot better than the WPA rankings.....
Shane is #52....Orcullo is #53

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you used that criteria, only Russians would be at the top at Russian Billiards....
...and probably on South Koreans would place at four ball Billiards.

It only makes sense to rate on games played internationally.

But there is a difference, the games you list, as well as snooker and 3C, are played on different tables. 1P, 14.1, 10 ball, 9 ball, Rotation, all are on the same equipment with same rails and pockets (aside from the obvious table to table differences). The pool games require different strategies and shot knowledge but when you move to a different type of table and game it changes more than that, you need different mechanics and techniques as well.

Which kinda brings me to a different area, if billiards was in the Olympics I think it would be bad if there was only pool type games, it should be Snooker, 3 Cushion and 10 Ball or 9 Ball and maybe Trick Shots. Just like in Skiiing there are several very different events. Imaging a giant hall with 8 Snooker Tables, 8 3 Cushion Tables, 8 pool tables, all going on at once in the middle of 60,000 spectators.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

In one pocket, we've got many of the top 25, with guys like Scott Frost, Shannon Daulton, Larry Nevel, Shane Van Boening, Billy Thorpe, Justin Bergman, Sylver Ochoa, Brandon Shuff, Earl Strickland and others.

In banks, the US is king. Skyler Woodward, John Brumback, Billy Thorpe, Justin Bergman, and Shannon Daulton, are probably the cream of the American crop.

Yes, the US is rock solid is some of the non-rotation games.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In one pocket, we've got many of the top 25, with guys like Scott Frost, Shannon Daulton, Larry Nevel, Shane Van Boening, Billy Thorpe, Justin Bergman, Sylver Ochoa, Brandon Shuff, Earl Strickland and others.

In banks, the US is king. Skyler Woodward, John Brumback, Billy Thorpe, Justin Bergman, and Shannon Daulton, are probably the cream of the American crop.

Gotta throw Justin hall in there too...1p and banks.

Our last little slice of the slice of a sport!

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jason Miller is every bit as good at banks as anyone mentioned here

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Jason Miller is every bit as good at banks as anyone mentioned here

Sorry, I'm not a guru of either banks or one pocket and I'm really just listing the guys I've gotten to watch that have played well. Banks is a game I've only seen at Derby City and one pocket is a game see at Derby City and at the Accu -Stats Make it Happen One Pocket event.

Wow, I thought that Brumback, by reputation, is considered, along with Eddie Taylor, the best bank pool player ever. If, as you suggest, Jason is his equal, Jason is obviously worthy of mention.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason Miller is definitely right up there with the best of the best when it comes to banks