CITIES treaty.......................

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading a thread on the general forum about shipping certain wood species. I Googled this and it looks like rosewood's days are numbered if not already over. I tried reading but got bogged down in the legalese so i'm asking cuemakers this: as of now what is the law as far as bringing these woods into the U.S.? Seeing how way more rosewood is used than ivory these regulations could really hurt cuemaking.

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried reading but got bogged down in the legalese so i'm asking cuemakers this: as of now what is the law as far as bringing these woods into the U.S.?
It depends on which Appendix they are classified under. The swooping change that went into effect in January for all rosewoods not already on the list added them to Appendix II, which means they need a specific certificate to be imported. This went into affect on cocobolo several years ago and it is still, legally, being imported. There is just a higher cost because of the certificates, inspections, etc.

FYI

Appendices I and II

Appendix I includes species threatened with extinction. Trade in specimens of these species is permitted only in exceptional circumstances.

Appendix II includes species not necessarily threatened with extinction, but in which trade must be controlled in order to avoid utilization incompatible with their survival.

from https://cites.org/eng/disc/how.php

JC

Coos Cues
I have often wondered if some of these species, BRW for instance, can't be successfully farmed somewhere it isn't native to. A long term project for sure but viable?

JC

Cody Cash

Registered
I have often wondered if some of these species, BRW for instance, can't be successfully farmed somewhere it isn't native to. A long term project for sure but viable?

JC
Introduction of a plant species into other ecosystems can have a devastating effect on that ecosystem. I'm not sure but I would guess that most countries have regulations on the planting of non native species

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on which Appendix they are classified under. The swooping change that went into effect in January for all rosewoods not already on the list added them to Appendix II, which means they need a specific certificate to be imported. This went into affect on cocobolo several years ago and it is still, legally, being imported. There is just a higher cost because of the certificates, inspections, etc.

FYI

Appendices I and II

Appendix I includes species threatened with extinction. Trade in specimens of these species is permitted only in exceptional circumstances.

Appendix II includes species not necessarily threatened with extinction, but in which trade must be controlled in order to avoid utilization incompatible with their survival.

from https://cites.org/eng/disc/how.php
Thanks. I'm telling you, nuclear physics is childsplay compared to this treaty. I got lost about 10 words in. The specifics of what is App.1 vs. App.2 would require a law degree to de-cipher.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JC

Absolutely, Indian Rosewood is raised on plantations in Indonesia and other locations.

Thank you Google

Dale

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Exactly. And EI Rose hasn't been the same since. It has become a shell of it's former self. Sad

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. And EI Rose hasn't been the same since. It has become a shell of it's former self. Sad

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. You mean planting trees in rows like a cornfield gives a different result
than letting them mature over centuries in a thick rain forest?

Dale

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. You mean planting trees in rows like a cornfield gives a different result
than letting them mature over centuries in a thick rain forest?

Dale

That along with pushing growth to the max and harvesting for lumber in 30 years something that would take 100 for nature to do on her own. The results are not the same. One tree farm I was looking at some years back demanding trees be harvested after 7 years. The only viable species was Teak, nothing else would produce GOOD usable lumber in that amount of time.