Old McDermott 1x2 case

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
0c467a408aea9c48ea972bb65d417058.jpg

Always wanted one of these. Got one now but it is on its last leg. Is anyone doing repairs on these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO a professional rebuild would likely cost what a decent used example of one would cost anyway. Time and materials...

Removing and replacing the lock alone requires some disassembly tricks. These cases were not designed to be taken apart.

I will be curious what McDermott says. It would not surprise me if they turned away the work.

If the Fellini style lock is damaged, there are some available, but they aren't cheap. I have one left, but it isn't for sale.

It could be recovered without a lock kind of like a Ron Thomas case if it has a good vacuum seal. Some of the McD cases were made that way, in fact I can't see the other side on this one and am only assuming it has a lock.

Refinishing the wood ends will often remove any logo there as they were often very shallow.

If the lining is good it makes a great storage case even without restoring it.

If McDermott can't or won't do it contact JB. Although he may not take the work on he may have some good advice. In fact I would contact him anyway.

I could do it, but no way do I have the time. I am in the middle of rebuilding a similar one (not a McD) for myself and haven't gotten to touch it for months.

If you end up wanting to sell it for parts feel free to contact me, I may be interested if it is cheap enough, maybe you could get your money back out of it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just got my reply from Mcdermott. they do not offer case repair.

I am not surprised.

Generally speaking, if you want one of these, or a Fellini, or Thomas, or Centennial, or Engles, etc...condition is key.

Fixing them up can be a real can of worms. Not only can it be difficult, but you might have trouble finding somebody to do it since most of said cases aren't made any more (Thomas is a notable exception).

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not surprised.

Generally speaking, if you want one of these, or a Fellini, or Thomas, or Centennial, or Engles, etc...condition is key.

Fixing them up can be a real can of worms. Not only can it be difficult, but you might have trouble finding somebody to do it since most of said cases aren't made any more (Thomas is a notable exception).

There is a luggage repair shop here. I will probably ask them if they can repair it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk