US Amateur Straight Pool Championship

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this event? I was reading The Straight Pool Bible and I saw that Arthur Cranefield was the collegiate, amateur and world straight pool champion which made him the only one to do so.

The amateur championship is what intrigues me. Anyone know how many years it was ran? Any of the big time players from the past besides Cranfield won it and then turned pro? When was the last time it was ran and who won it?

Do you think there would be any small interest in a revival if someone were to attempt it?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this event? I was reading The Straight Pool Bible and I saw that Arthur Cranefield was the collegiate, amateur and world straight pool champion which made him the only one to do so.

The amateur championship is what intrigues me. Anyone know how many years it was ran? Any of the big time players from the past besides Cranfield won it and then turned pro? When was the last time it was ran and who won it?

Do you think there would be any small interest in a revival if someone were to attempt it?
How you are going determine who is allowed to enter? I suppose one barrier to entry would be the lack of any prize fund.

I have not heard of any national amateur championships after WW II, but I may have missed something in the BCA record books. Charlie Ursitti's site doesn't seem to cover amateur play.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I figured that money prizes would be a no go since amateurs tend not to get paid when it comes to anything national championship. At least that's the way some others sports are.

Still, I wonder how much interest there would be if anyone tried to do one.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I figured that money prizes would be a no go since amateurs tend not to get paid when it comes to anything national championship. At least that's the way some others sports are.

Still, I wonder how much interest there would be if anyone tried to do one.
As an alternative to creating a new tournament you can just enter the American Championship for $300. You can reserve a spot for next year right now for $100. The tournament is already in place with a promoter and a room and good players.

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As an alternative to creating a new tournament you can just enter the American Championship for $300. You can reserve a spot for next year right now for $100. The tournament is already in place with a promoter and a room and good players.

I wasn't aware that the American 14.1 was open to the public. I thought it was invite only. Is the $100 a non refundable deposit?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wasn't aware that the American 14.1 was open to the public. I thought it was invite only. Is the $100 a non refundable deposit?
You need to contact Peter Burrows for details, but I think he was accepting open entries this year due to cancellations.