ivory mid-extension

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will a short ivory mid-extension above a steel or synthetic joint simulate the characteristics of an ivory joint?

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
Was it that dumb of a question? :)

Well..... If you add in an ivory extension to a steel joint, you now have an ivory / steel joint. Not an ivory joint. I think the only way to tell for sure of the similarities, is to do a side by side comparison of the 2.

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well..... If you add in an ivory extension to a steel joint, you now have an ivory / steel joint. Not an ivory joint. I think the only way to tell for sure of the similarities, is to do a side by side comparison of the 2.

Yep...what you have created is a steel / ivory joint. How will it hit? I have no idea to be honest. They resonate at completely different frequencies. If I had to guess (and it's truly just a guess,) I would think it would be a little slushier than stainless. I wouldn't think the energy transmission would be all that fantastic, but again, it's a guess. If someone asked me to do something like that I would probably do it, but it would be non-refundable in regards to the "hit" being what the customer "wanted." If I am reading the OP correctly, I think all you have really done is made an ivory joint ring TBH.