Silver Member
2017-flyer_orig.jpg

Andy

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is right before the US Open 9-ball in Norfolk, which is a two-hour drive away.

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting this.
This event seem to be growing and with good reviews.
Is there any information about this year's "World 14.1" that Dragon puts on at Steinway? Last year is was moved to early September after years of a mid summer date.

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of the top players will hit this busy schedule:

World Pool Series, Steinway NYC, Sep 27 - Oct 1
World 14.1, Steinway NYC, Oct 2-8
Gotham City 9 ball, NYC, Oct 14-16 or Great Dismal Swamp 9 ball, North Carolina, Oct 13-15
American 14.1, Richmond VA, Oct 17-21
US Open 9 ball, Norfolk VA, Oct 22-28
Steinway Classic, NYC, Oct 30 - Nov 1

Andy

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Gotham City 9 ball, NYC, Oct 14-16 or Great Dismal Swamp 9 ball, North Carolina, Oct 13-15

Andy

So here's my question -- I'm in the mood to take a little road trip this year and go watch some top flight 14.1. What recommendation would the good folks here make in the case of deciding to spend a few days at the Steinway 14.1 v the Diamond 14.1?

Lou Figueroa
what to do
what to do

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, I'm a little biased since I help put on the American 14.1 at Diamond Billiards.

1. Richmond, VA has reasonably priced hotels. About $100 a night at Four Points Sheraton.
2. The owners of Diamond Billiards never have a cover charge to watch all of the matches Tue-Sat.
3. You can sit fairly close to most matches.
4. The US Open 9 ball starts the day after our tourney ends. 2 hours down the road if you want a good long road trip.

Andy

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Andy

Thanks for posting this info in plenty of time for people to make arrangements to attend. I plan to hit a few of these.

Thanks again.

Kevin

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, I'm a little biased since I help put on the American 14.1 at Diamond Billiards.

1. Richmond, VA has reasonably priced hotels. About $100 a night at Four Points Sheraton.
2. The owners of Diamond Billiards never have a cover charge to watch all of the matches Tue-Sat.
4. The US Open 9 ball starts the day after our tourney ends. 2 hours down the road if you want a good long road trip.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. I will take all of that under advisement.

Just on it's face, certainly the event at Diamond would be far more affordable in terms of venue, air fare, and hotel. Cost is certainly not the only consideration but an important one nonetheless.

I shall have to ponder what I wish to do.

Thanks again.

Lou Figueroa

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Andy
Several other points that may sway your decision. On the first 3 days of the tournament, the action concludes in the early evening due to league play. If you're looking to play somewhere, there are multiple rooms within the Midlothian/Richmond area. Good restaurants within close proximity, including the menu at Diamond. Nice sports bar nearby for the off nights, which you need that time of year. Not to mention better weather.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several other points that may sway your decision. On the first 3 days of the tournament, the action concludes in the early evening due to league play. If you're looking to play somewhere, there are multiple rooms within the Midlothian/Richmond area. Good restaurants within close proximity, including the menu at Diamond. Nice sports bar nearby for the off nights, which you need that time of year. Not to mention better weather.

OK, I know you're trying to help and perhaps for most guys these things would register. But honestly, for the limited time I'm there I want to watch evening matches. And I'm not traveling to play but to watch. And my idea of a good menu is what I might find after a quick ride into Manhattan. (And I hate sports bars :)

One more thing: I kinda like the idea of 14.1 with guys dressed up a bit, so I'm leaning towards Steinway.

Lou Figueroa

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
agree with Lou on all points.

thank you for bringing up the no evening play bit, will influence my decision as well...

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
agree with Lou on all points.

thank you for bringing up the no evening play bit, will influence my decision as well...

Yes.

If I flew out to watch a couple of days of 14.1, got there in the afternoon, checked into my hotel, made it to the pool room, and found out there would be no evening matches (because of leagues?!) I'd be more than a little unhappy.

So what other pitfalls are out there? I believe the Steinway event has a dinner one night that halts evening play but I'm not sure what night that is.

Can anyone who has attended shed some light for an out of towner?

Lou Figueroa

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I believe the Steinway event has a dinner one night that halts evening play but I'm not sure what night that is.

Can anyone who has attended shed some light for an out of towner?

Lou Figueroa

Last year, the event ran from Monday through Sunday. For the first 6 days, matches started at about 11 am and ended at various times from about 8 pm to 11 pm. The exception was Wednesday evening, which was reserved for the hall of fame induction banquet.

The last day, Sunday, was just one match, the finals. It was played to 300 points and ran about 5 3/4 hours starting at about 1:30 pm.

[Info based on watching streamed matches, not on-site attendance.]

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last year, the event ran from Monday through Sunday. For the first 6 days, matches started at about 11 am and ended at various times from about 8 pm to 11 pm. The exception was Wednesday evening, which was reserved for the hall of fame induction banquet.

The last day, Sunday, was just one match, the finals. It was played to 300 points and ran about 5 3/4 hours starting at about 1:30 pm.

[Info based on watching streamed matches, not on-site attendance.]

Gracias, Large for the intel.

Lou Figueroa

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Andy

And now the WPA has set dates for the World 10-Ball Championship in Manila -- men's event Oct. 16-22.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And now the WPA has set dates for the World 10-Ball Championship in Manila -- men's event Oct. 16-22.

Here is the article in the Manila Times: http://www.manilatimes.net/world-pool-championship-will-return-manila-october/338993/

The article says that the WPA would make the official announcement in August when the WPA President would visit the Philippines. So far as I can tell, there has been no such announcement. The event is not on the WPA calendar at:
http://wpapool.com/calendar/action~month/exact_date~1506808800/request_format~json/

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the article in the Manila Times: http://www.manilatimes.net/world-pool-championship-will-return-manila-october/338993/

The article says that the WPA would make the official announcement in August when the WPA President would visit the Philippines. So far as I can tell, there has been no such announcement. The event is not on the WPA calendar at:
http://wpapool.com/calendar/action~month/exact_date~1506808800/request_format~json/

That event in Manila has been rescheduled.
I believe the new date is first quarter 2018.