Dominant eye relative to cue sight line

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I know from talking to him..His name is Wong. He's from Singapore, and is a ranked player there. He's 34, but looks 20. He's in the US on a military visa, for 2 years, and living in Mountain Home ID. He played in the BCAPL team event with a team from there. He is right handed, right eye dominant, and clearly puts the cue directly under his left eye. As I said, he had a beautiful stroke and knew how to use it. Is that enough information...so you can try to play pool detective Fran? :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

What's the player's name?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

It seems to me that the little gizmo should be embedded in the shaft so it's visible while you're down over the shot. In the vid they get their alignment position while standing behind the shot, which I understand is great for proper alignment of body/stance. But once the player is down over the shot, his perspective of the shot line is different. If it looks off, the player will attempt to fine tune it based on what he/she sees, so an alignment gage within the vision while down in the shot would be handy.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I know from talking to him..His name is Wong. He's from Singapore, and is a ranked player there. He's 34, but looks 20. He's in the US on a military visa, for 2 years, and living in Mountain Home ID. He played in the BCAPL team event with a team from there. He is right handed, right eye dominant, and clearly puts the cue directly under his left eye. As I said, he had a beautiful stroke and knew how to use it. Is that enough information...so you can try to play pool detective Fran? :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

No, sorry, that's not enough information. An amateur player named Wong won't help in finding him. Plus, there may either be a specific reason for his cue placement or it may not even be the best placement for him. There's no way to know based on the little information you posted.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me that the little gizmo should be embedded in the shaft so it's visible while you're down over the shot. In the vid they get their alignment position while standing behind the shot, which I understand is great for proper alignment of body/stance. But once the player is down over the shot, his perspective of the shot line is different. If it looks off, the player will attempt to fine tune it based on what he/she sees, so an alignment gage within the vision while down in the shot would be handy.

I use a Balance Rite cue extension in the middle of my cue. If a gizmo could be incorporated into the BR that would work also. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKoMZrg1MAg
The only thing I would add to this video is that the student when standing directly behind the cue notice where on his body the butt end of the cue is pointing. This spot is where the grip hand when holding the cue in a standing position should start. The body and the feet have to be arranged so that when you fall down into the shooting position that the vision center or shot line be maintained.

John
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
It looks to me that the device would be in the same place as a Balance Rite Cue Extension.

I use a Balance Rite cue extension in the middle of my cue. If a gizmo could be incorporated into the BR that would work also. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKoMZrg1MAg
The only thing I would add to this video is that the student when standing directly behind the cue notice where on his body the butt end of the cue is pointing. This spot is where the grip hand when holding the cue in a standing position should start. The body and the feet have to be arranged so that when you fall down into the shooting position that the vision center or shot line be maintained.

John
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I have used in the past to help with my vision center or shot line from the standing position all the way down into the shooting position. Just keep them lined up.

Attachments

• Iphone Pictures 003 (Small).jpg
    Iphone Pictures 003 (Small).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Iphone Pictures 004 (Small) (2).jpg
    Iphone Pictures 004 (Small) (2).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 174

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Dan,

I appreciate your comment here and I'm definitely interested in your saying that you place your cue under your recessive eye. I don't have enough information to actually conclude if that placement is actually better for you or worse. Even though you may think it's better, it may not be.

I am always open to the idea that there is a better way to do it. However, after many hours of trial and error and video feedback and slow motion, I find that this method works better than dominant eye.

As you probably know, pool fundamentals are much more complicated than most people imagine. Sometimes the smallest of variables can cause us to change to where we feel we made a correction, but in actuality, it's a compensation.

Yes, and sometimes it is not easy to tell the difference between a band aid fix and a fundamental one. I recently found that I needed to do something with my wrist to assure a straight finish to the stroke. Does this wrist change now allow me to shoot under dominant eye and throw out everything I've been doing? Probably not but I have not yet gone back to test that idea out. I'm continually trying to find the variables that matter and the ones that don't.

The next time you plan to come into the City, let me know and I'll be happy to take a look at you --- my treat --- you just have to pay your table time. :)

OK then... it's a play date. :smile:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am always open to the idea that there is a better way to do it. However, after many hours of trial and error and video feedback and slow motion, I find that this method works better than dominant eye.

Yes, and sometimes it is not easy to tell the difference between a band aid fix and a fundamental one. I recently found that I needed to do something with my wrist to assure a straight finish to the stroke. Does this wrist change now allow me to shoot under dominant eye and throw out everything I've been doing? Probably not but I have not yet gone back to test that idea out. I'm continually trying to find the variables that matter and the ones that don't.

OK then... it's a play date. :smile:

Good for you for experimenting. I never knock anyone who is willing to experiment, regardless of whether I agree with their process or not. We all have our opinions about how to go about doing things.

Most of the time, time will tell you whether or not your experiment was a success. I've sometimes had to stick with something for as long as a year in order to determine if it really was for me.

However, there are those scary rare occasions where your results seem satisfactory enough to deceive you into believing that the experiment was a success. That's why it's really helpful to have someone on the outside checking you out every so often. It's happened to me many times in my playing career, and thankfully, I had a core group of trusted knowledgeable friends who were there for me to spot something going on in my game.

---- When I offer to take a look at someone's game, I mean it, and I work just as hard as if that person was paying me to do it, so it won't be a play date.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for you for experimenting. I never knock anyone who is willing to experiment, regardless of whether I agree with their process or not. We all have our opinions about how to go about doing things.

Most of the time, time will tell you whether or not your experiment was a success. I've sometimes had to stick with something for as long as a year in order to determine if it really was for me.

However, there are those scary rare occasions where your results seem satisfactory enough to deceive you into believing that the experiment was a success. That's why it's really helpful to have someone on the outside checking you out every so often. It's happened to me many times in my playing career, and thankfully, I had a core group of trusted knowledgeable friends who were there for me to spot something going on in my game.

---- When I offer to take a look at someone's game, I mean it, and I work just as hard as if that person was paying me to do it, so it won't be a play date.

I'll send you a pm if I have an opportunity to get over there. Thanks!