What's a poor man's Whitten?

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I really like Whitten cases. I have a 1X2 in fact. I want a 3X6, but at circa $800.00, that's a little much. What I like most about them is their bullet proof construction; those really strong tubes wrapped in material from top to bottom.

Can anyone recommend a less expensive substitute that has similar bullet proof construction? I like some of the other, less expensive cases out there, but none I've found have the redundant protection that Whitten has.

Thanx! -Z-

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
What does redundant protection mean?

There are many copies of Whittens out there being sold for low $. It always amazes me that people on this forum go absolutely nuts if someones copies a few maker's style as if the world is going to end but those very same people are absolutely silent at the prolilferation of Whitten knockoffs.

So...to me the poor man's Whitten is a Whitten knockoff.

If you want a case that is more protective than a Whitten in my biased opinion....my brand might be the value you are looking for. Only talking protection though since you brought it up. Real Whittens are nearly perfect in workmanship and have the sort of elegance we aspire to.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really like Whitten cases. I have a 1X2 in fact. I want a 3X6, but at circa $800.00, that's a little much. What I like most about them is their bullet proof construction; those really strong tubes wrapped in material from top to bottom.

Can anyone recommend a less expensive substitute that has similar bullet proof construction? I like some of the other, less expensive cases out there, but none I've found have the redundant protection that Whitten has.

Thanx! -Z-

I would suggest either JB, or an On-q by Garth Bair. Just my opinion. :cool:
j2

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
What does redundant protection mean?

Thank you for responding. By "Redundant Protection" I meant that a butt/shaft is protected not only by the hard inner tube or sleeve of a Whitten case, but by the exterior wall of the case as well .
In retrospect redundant wasn't the best way to describe what I was trying to say.

What I'm looking for is a similar level of butt/shaft protection in a cue case. I can live without leather and some of the other materials that drive the price point of a Whitten.
For what it's worth, I've spent about 2 hours over the past 3 or so weeks on the JB Case website. I very much like JB cases. -Z-

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Thank you for responding. By "Redundant Protection" I meant that a butt/shaft is protected not only by the hard inner tube or sleeve of a Whitten case, but by the exterior wall of the case as well .
In retrospect redundant wasn't the best way to describe what I was trying to say.

What I'm looking for is a similar level of butt/shaft protection in a cue case. I can live without leather and some of the other materials that drive the price point of a Whitten.
For what it's worth, I've spent about 2 hours over the past 3 or so weeks on the JB Case website. I very much like JB cases. -Z-

Got it. Well in our cases you have the cushion to protect the cues.

Protection Matters Video <--------

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want tubes inside a tube construction with great protection then Instroke provides that. I think Instroke cases are great from a protection and use standpoint, they're only drawbacks are mediocre leather quality and the hard plastic feet that suck on hard surface floors. Otherwise, great cases and I love playing out of the them save for that plastic foot issue.

JB cases/interiors are my current preference. The Whitten tube design is tough but the tubes are big and the cues do knock around in them. They don't have the little bit of padding that the Instroke cases have. JB cases have no inner tubes (unless you go custom with a tube case) but they are well padded and inside a strong outer tube. Having owned Whitten, Justis, Instroke, JB, etc....my favorites are the Instroke and JB setups by a good margin. My Fields case has a 2x4 interior by JB and I feel my cues are very well protected.