Practice Game of Bowlliards

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope I will be crediting the right person in Alan Hopkins coming up with this concept many years ago. For the last approx. 20 + years, 90 % of my practice is with the game only.
Your rack any 10 balls in a triangle rack leaving the back row out. Break from the kitchen area. Break Is free, if you scratch on the break or during the game, you shoot out of the kitchen, option of spotting a ball on the foot spot or lagging out of the kitchen if you scratch and your last ball or two are also in the kitchen.
After the break, shoot any ball out of the ten and run the table. Download a regular bowling sheet. You will be playing all frames just like in bowling. If you break and run all 10 balls, you mark yourself a strike, if you make 4 balls and miss, then run the other six balls, you mark a spare. You score the same way as bowling. The perfect game of course is a 300 just like in bowling.
I believe it was Alan Hopkins who tried to market this game as a league possibility way back when. This is a great game to play when you have any number of people together and tired of scotch doubles and sitting around waiting for your turn. We play ten cents a ball difference to add a little fun.
My wife likes the game, but, we do give her three trips to act as handicap. She can miss once........miss a second time, then finish for her spare. If she misses once and then finishes, she gets a strike. Really helps her wanting to play and practice as well.
Different tables will alter scores. My Pro 8 table at home has very deep pockets and hangers happen very easy. My lifetime average out of the 300 possible at home is 207, on a bar box ( find one not taking quarters !!! ) my lifetime average is 236.
I have 11 total 300's on bar box tables and 5 total 300's on my home table. The bonus here is that if you are stringing strikes together, that last ball creates a little pressure giving you the same feeling as a 8 ball to win a match in 8 ball. You must finish to win. You play a couple of these back to back and you will also start getting your mind stronger for longer stronger play. Turn on the TV, Radio or something to fight through the distraction as noise is going to be around and you have to turn it off mentally.
Let me know if anyone has tried this game or if you do try it, what you think. I have always loved this practice idea to get in stroke, braking clusters and finishing. Of course, a bad luck leave after a break can ruin a 300 in a hurry. Start sticking that cue ball !!!

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope I will be crediting the right person in Alan Hopkins coming up with this concept many years ago. For the last approx. 20 + years, 90 % of my practice is with the game only.
Your rack any 10 balls in a triangle rack leaving the back row out. Break from the kitchen area. Break Is free, if you scratch on the break or during the game, you shoot out of the kitchen, option of spotting a ball on the foot spot or lagging out of the kitchen if you scratch and your last ball or two are also in the kitchen.
After the break, shoot any ball out of the ten and run the table. Download a regular bowling sheet. You will be playing all frames just like in bowling. If you break and run all 10 balls, you mark yourself a strike, if you make 4 balls and miss, then run the other six balls, you mark a spare. You score the same way as bowling. The perfect game of course is a 300 just like in bowling.
I believe it was Alan Hopkins who tried to market this game as a league possibility way back when. This is a great game to play when you have any number of people together and tired of scotch doubles and sitting around waiting for your turn. We play ten cents a ball difference to add a little fun.
My wife likes the game, but, we do give her three trips to act as handicap. She can miss once........miss a second time, then finish for her spare. If she misses once and then finishes, she gets a strike. Really helps her wanting to play and practice as well.
Different tables will alter scores. My Pro 8 table at home has very deep pockets and hangers happen very easy. My lifetime average out of the 300 possible at home is 207, on a bar box ( find one not taking quarters !!! ) my lifetime average is 236.
I have 11 total 300's on bar box tables and 5 total 300's on my home table. The bonus here is that if you are stringing strikes together, that last ball creates a little pressure giving you the same feeling as a 8 ball to win a match in 8 ball. You must finish to win. You play a couple of these back to back and you will also start getting your mind stronger for longer stronger play. Turn on the TV, Radio or something to fight through the distraction as noise is going to be around and you have to turn it off mentally.
Let me know if anyone has tried this game or if you do try it, what you think. I have always loved this practice idea to get in stroke, braking clusters and finishing. Of course, a bad luck leave after a break can ruin a 300 in a hurry. Start sticking that cue ball !!!

You forgot to mention that any ball potted on the break is spotted. Also, after the break its ball in hand behind the headstring and this is most important its Called SHot........No Slop....... here are the rules of play......... http://www.bowlliards.com/how-to-play/ Great game tho, Ive been playing this for years

I don't know who came up with the idea.

I've played the game and it was fun. Much like 14.1 as far as running the balls. My friends and I played it for quite awhile and we had to come up with rules for certain situations.

First of all we played that you rack your own so nobody complained when they broke bad.

Second, all balls made on the break spotted back up immediately so it didn't matter how great your break was, in fact if you made balls on the break they would then have to be broken up to run out. Some tried soft-breaking but this usually didn't work well. We did this because we figured that the break was like a pinsetter and you should always have 10 balls to shoot at for your inning.

Thirdly, after the break we took BIH behind the line and could shoot at any ball over the headstring. I don't think we played call-shot so a ball could be slopped in but I don't remember for sure. All balls made on a shot counted for you.

There was no fouling on the break. No matter if the cueball went off the table or scratched it was not a foul. The break merely reset the "pins" for your inning.

A missed shot allowed you to attempt to "spare" the frame by running the remaining balls but this lead to guys intentionally leaving themselves an easy shot (with a miss) when they knew they could win with a spare.

A cueball scratch (in a pocket or offtable) was 1 point off your final, total score. That way you were penalized but could still spare the frame. The -1 would have to be noted on the scoresheet and the reason why also as guys tend to "forget" their scratches.

We also played the game the same as bowling, due to the large amount of bowlers in the poolroom. When two guys played each other the first would only shoot one frame. The opponent would then shoot two frames and then the first guy would shoot two frames.

I suppose you could have fouls for object balls touched or moved, just like 14.1. I don't recall if we did that though. Not many would actually bet anything at the game so it didn't matter much.

There may be a few rules I've forgotten.

My high run is 273 but I was practicing alone when I did it. It's not the same as sitting down every two frames.

ONB

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't agree more! This is a GREAT practice game and one that makes tracking your progress pretty easy since you always have a definite score at the end. It's also very easy to handicap.

I've found one of the main benefits to it is helping me get past the mental letdown of missing a ball. I mean, we all want that 300 so badly but as soon as you miss you know it's impossible. Just have to put it behind you and go for the best score possible.

Great post!

I couldn't agree more! This is a GREAT practice game and one that makes tracking your progress pretty easy since you always have a definite score at the end. It's also very easy to handicap.

I've found one of the main benefits to it is helping me get past the mental letdown of missing a ball. I mean, we all want that 300 so badly but as soon as you miss you know it's impossible. Just have to put it behind you and go for the best score possible.

Great post!

Good point about missing and losing the 300 game especially if you miss early in the game. Many very good players that I played just totally gave up after a miss. I always beared down and redoubled my efforts.

ONB

Mooneye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This looks like fun, thanks for posting it. It looks like a great practice game and maybe I can get my kids interested in trying it.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know who came up with it, but, if I remember right it's been in the BCA Rule Book for years.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the game was marketed by Barry Dubow in the late 70's, who at that time was a free lance billiard promoter, maybe also with Alan Hopkins, for a publicity campaign for Lucky Strike Cigarettes. It was a fairly successful amateur contest that took place in various cities around the country and lasted for several months.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks John and Fran for your posts, I guess I didn't even realize there might be a specific set of rules and the insight that indeed this was actually marketed was another fact I was unaware of. Taking the cue ball in hand in the kitchen after the break would take out that bad luck factor as I may have to go that in the years to come !!! For now, I think I'll still play my opening shot from where the cue ball lays as to keep it roughly away from the rails usually gives me a shot somewhere. I think way back in the day when someone brought this game up, we more than likely were at a bar box table and it was probably like 15 cents to a .25 cents a game and couldn't bring the balls back up. More than likely why the spotting of made balls never came up. Regardless of how you tweak the game, the overall practice gives you a mission. I usually can get a full round in before I head out to pool league. To me personally, it's usually taking 100 shots with purpose before walking out the door. Finishing off some spares and strikes in this game gives me the same controlled feeling if I am shooting a 8 ball to win a game or on rare occasion a match in our 8 ball league. I believe that's what I really take away with from this routine. On weekends, or some evenings, it's also a great situation that both my wife and myself can get quality table time together for our games.

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

By the way here are a full list of Rules Of Play for Bowlliards

Enjoy

https://campuslink.uc.edu/organization/billiardsclub/DocumentLibrary/View/216433

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
Lucky Strikes Bowliards

Lucky Strikes sponsored a Bowliards Tournament at the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan NY. I was either 19 or 20 at the time, what a great event!

It was a 128 man field of tough players that l managed to win my way into the finals, only losing by a few Pins to a gentlemen named Keith who owned a pool room in NY.
I played extremely well for two days, and it was my first big tournament I ever entered.

Funny story was on the second day l was in the men's room, and Keith walks in and says to my friend " well it looks like it's me and you Nick in the Finals" without realizing l was at the urinal.
I turned to him and said " Don't count me out pal! "
I went on to beat my Friend Nick Mannino In the semis which was probably the best match I remember playing. Best part was my Dad, Mom, and Melody ( my wife ) got to see the whole thing from those Birds Eye seats in the Balcony!

I ended up losing in the Finals by a few pins, maybe I wasted a lot of mental energy on wanting to win the semis so bad. Losing by 6 Pins l think was not a lot going to a possible 300.
I loved that tournament, only wish I got first, more cash, but they gave a Brand New Gold Crown also to the winner that l wanted badly!
Cue Ball Kelly refereed the final match, what a character he was!

The Roosevelt was so sweet, use to go for years to watch the 14.1 with all the Greatest Pros ever, playing with Class & Dignity! All dressed to the nines in Tuxedo's.
I saw many 150 and out runs, and some of the purest pool ever.

Top guns like Crane, Lassiter, Balsis, Murphy, Cranfield, Herring, Martin, Mizerak, Hubbart, Sigel, Varner, Liscotti, Margo, Flemming, Colavita, West, Hopkins, etc.
Those were the days!!!

I enclosed a picture right after the Final match: Keith - Cue Ball Kelly - Greg
Pool has been good to me, never was a top tier player, but addicted to the clicking of the balls, and always enjoying the great game of Pool!

Maybe I will get the VHS tape put on You Tube, funny stuff!

Thanks to all : )

Greg Antonakos[URL="
66cd8c283f60a435614da4f6df4fa7f8_zpsdfa9ece1.jpg

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Very Much Greg !!!, Super Info !! I would never have guessed they had fielded 128 players !!
Email Sent with some questions about the tournament.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lucky Strikes sponsored a Bowliards Tournament at the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan NY. I was either 19 or 20 at the time, what a great event! ...
Thanks for the info. The Roosevelt was a great place for tournaments with the balcony upstairs. Which year could that have been?

The rules first showed up in the BCA rule book in the 1980 edition. They are a little different from the version that is on-line.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
It's a popular practice game in Japan as well.
In fact, the skill test to become a recognized pro here is done through Bowliards. You just need to score 630 points (420 pts for women) or more total in 3 games to get your pro license, which is quite doable for most A-level players.

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
Thanks Very Much Greg !!!, Super Info !! I would never have guessed they had fielded 128 players !!
Email Sent with some questions about the tournament.

Yes Chuck, a strong 128 players! Talk soon

Thanks for the info. The Roosevelt was a great place for tournaments with the balcony upstairs. Which year could that have been?

The rules first showed up in the BCA rule book in the 1980 edition. They are a little different from the version that is on-line.

Bob, I have to dig out the tape, but best recall is 1977 or 78
After going to the Roosevelt for years watching the big boys, you can imagine how it felt for me on that floor! ; )

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a popular practice game in Japan as well.
In fact, the skill test to become a recognized pro here is done through Bowliards. You just need to score 630 points (420 pts for women) or more total in 3 games to get your pro license, which is quite doable for most A-level players.

I learned the game in Japan as well. It's actually pretty awesome for tracking progression. When I first started, my scores were in the 20's. Now I'm up near the 150's. Do you have a skill level to score guide? for example, I think 120 is considered B?