Hard Times

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just want to put this out there... pool room owners, wherever you are, please make sure your A/C works! Nothing worse than sweating while you're trying to play, on wet tables.
My regular room is Hard Times in Bellflower, Ca. Yeah, we're experiencing a heat wave and a drought out here, but it's pretty sticky.. had the chalk stick to my fingers playing one pocket. I don't know how they play outside in the Phillipines, tropical air and all.

Last edited:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dripping sweat from your face onto the table and balls detracts from the pool playing experience.......

..been in the HT sauna at the TAD cup this summer..

bad news: 2 and out

good news: 2 and out

bad news about both good and bad news: took 6 hours

good news about both good and bad news: lost 3 pounds:thumbup:

...hadn't been this sweaty since July 1967 in Huntsville, Alabama US Army days:p

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HT sauna

Dripping sweat from your face onto the table and balls detracts from the pool playing experience.......

..been in the HT sauna at the TAD cup this summer..

bad news: 2 and out

good news: 2 and out

bad news about both good and bad news: took 6 hours

good news about both good and bad news: lost 3 pounds:thumbup:

...hadn't been this sweaty since July 1967 in Huntsville, Alabama US Army days:p

Couldn't have said it better! Played some one pocket a couple of days ago... I looked at my opponent, beads of sweat on his forehead... we agreed to quit even!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently the cost of air conditioning is a financial challenge.
Diamond in Fresno doesn't open M-T until 4pm and noon on F-S-S.
Classic in Fresno doesn't open until 2 pm.
Break Room opens at noon.

And do not expect to walk thru the doors when these joints open and expect to find the air conditioning running either. The Break room still opens at noontime but the air conditioning thing must be financially'horrible to bear, Even the Fresno movie theatre chains are now only showing movies starting after dinner time hrs (6:30 & 7 pm)........no earlier movies are being shown......utility costs have to be tremendous to deter opening earlier in the day for pool halls and movie chains alike.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
It takes more to cool the place down when you shut them off and turn them on when you open. They need to leave them running all of the time.....that's what a thermostat is for.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I get a kick out of the rooms that have all new 9' and 7' Diamonds, yet can't afford to run the A/C. "Come to the sweaters poolroom", and play on our new Diamond tables. Of course if they bought all used Gold Crowns and had them recovered, they could afford to run the A/C, if not, they need to try another business. Johnnyt

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A/C and out...

I get a kick out of the rooms that have all new 9' and 7' Diamonds, yet can't afford to run the A/C. "Come to the sweaters poolroom", and play on our new Diamond tables. Of course if they bought all used Gold Crowns and had them recovered, they could afford to run the A/C, if not, they need to try another business. Johnnyt

Agreed on all comments, guys!... in Hard Times' case, they've had the same Gold Crowns for years... the tournament side to my knowledge isn't even running Simonis cloth anymore., and I think the A/C is just flat old and/or broken. They DID have a change of ownership, what with Chuck dying and all.

Allen- agreed... at home, you put your A/C on auto and it will just feather to maintain the temp... like a fridge.

Bava- absolutely... with our economy, running A/C all day must be costly.
My deal is it doesn't have to be freezing... just cooler, and dehumidify
the room.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Agreed on all comments, guys!... in Hard Times' case, they've had the same Gold Crowns for years... the tournament side to my knowledge isn't even running Simonis cloth anymore., and I think the A/C is just flat old and/or broken. They DID have a change of ownership, what with Chuck dying and all.

Allen- agreed... at home, you put your A/C on auto and it will just feather to maintain the temp... like a fridge.

Bava- absolutely... with our economy, running A/C all day must be costly.
My deal is it doesn't have to be freezing... just cooler, and dehumidify
the room.

Chuck sold HT, Bellflower a long time ago. Kenny was the last owner to sell it.

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
This meme says it all

Attachments

• hottimes-01-01.jpg
    hottimes-01-01.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 855

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe some owners just misinterpreted the term "sweating" a match?

More seriously, cutting down on the A/C because business is slow seems like a great way to keep business slow.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hot Times

Joey, thx!.. wasn't up on the ownership at HT... it IS expensive to run any kind of business now.. insurance, utilities, etc. But, man the regular guys playing golf on the
legendary snooker table must cover the A/C tab alone! All day, every day.

Skyscraper, that's amazing!... what would happen if one got printed up and put up in the men's room?

Cory, exactly... I would think there would be more business if the word was out that it feels good to be there... more action?

Last edited:

Teacherman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Room owner here. Unless I have a unit down.....(and that happens now and then but we fix it as quick as possible)....it's always comfortable.

4 9' Diamonds.
14 7' Diamonds.

Teachers Billiards
St. Peters MO

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we are seeing the end of summer in California's Central Valley.....thank God.......by the 3rd week of July, we already had 18 days of 100 degrees or more.....I dunno how many in total by now but last Thursday, it was 106.......102 on Friday......but from here on out there's a cooling trend........and hopefully some rain......man, it is so dry out here...........and friggin' hot.

Matt B.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It takes more to cool the place down when you shut them off and turn them on when you open. They need to leave them running all of the time.....that's what a thermostat is for.

We turn the air off at closing...but we have two large floor fans going all night.
...takes about 15 minutes after opening for the room to be comfortable.

We also have a dehumidifier....

Giving up on the A/C is like giving up on the business

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I was under the impression that the issue with the AC at Hard Times had to do with the transformer being old and not supplying enough juice to power both the air conditioners for the building. I remember seeing a POV Pool interview recently with the guy who maintains the machines, and they said a city truck was out in the parking lot working on the transformer. Daniel said that the AC should be up and running correctly after that. I can't find the video now, but I think it was during a match. So was there any truth to that, or was it just a bunch of hot air? (pun intended)

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Man if there's one thing I can't stand it's playing in the heat.. I remember one vacation I ended up playing in an oven of a pool hall in Thailand. My opponent and I were both so sweaty that we were leaving wet handprints all over rails and cloth :eek:

FordSVTCobra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The AC was working recently at the Hard Times 10 ball Open, but I've been there when it wasn't working last summer and it was absolutely unbearable.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Man if there's one thing I can't stand it's playing in the heat.. I remember one vacation I ended up playing in an oven of a pool hall in Thailand. My opponent and I were both so sweaty that we were leaving wet handprints all over rails and cloth :eek:

:eek: How were you able to use your bridge hand? Or did you guys use a glove?

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was under the impression that the issue with the AC at Hard Times had to do with the transformer being old and not supplying enough juice to power both the air conditioners for the building. I remember seeing a POV Pool interview recently with the guy who maintains the machines, and they said a city truck was out in the parking lot working on the transformer. Daniel said that the AC should be up and running correctly after that. I can't find the video now, but I think it was during a match. So was there any truth to that, or was it just a bunch of hot air? (pun intended)

Last I heard it's still an issue. Not sure what's up with the mechanic.

Possibly the transformer was the problem before, and now it's the actual A/C equipment.