• IMG_20170328_201125.jpg
    IMG_20170328_201125.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 226

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about very thin on the right side of red with left side spin?

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once overheard Sang Lee respond to a player's question "What would you do." Sang Lee responded, "Is the question 'what would I do' or is it 'what should YOU do'?"

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I once overheard Sang Lee respond to a player's question "What would you do." Sang Lee responded, "Is the question 'what would I do' or is it 'what should YOU do'?"

What you would do and what you should do are the SAME question for any top player!

That player is going to take into many considerations when attempting to play a shot. Mostly after years of practice and actual playing experience, whether for money or tournament!

Most of all, a player has to play to their own abilities, knowledge and experience!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Bills favorite guy here show is how it's done
:) jk

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsk48ues89kfm2g/17648577_647082178826913_5674680953784500224_n.mp4?dl=0

I like bills and bobs suggestions, I'm terrible at those super thin slices, and cannot get a ball to force follow on a carom table yet, so I will work on those thanks for the suggestions

Pt I looked at that shot before posting but I felt if I could even get to the corner, it would be so far up in there the ball wouldn't reach the 7 rail until the middle or bottom end of the table, not enough angle off the red to catch it right

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
is this reasonable??
EDIT
I DIDNT SEE THE VIDEO WHEN I WAS POSTING THIS
3c wwyd 3.jpg

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
is this reasonable??
EDIT
I DIDNT SEE THE VIDEO WHEN I WAS POSTING THIS
View attachment 454571

Not unless your name is eddy merckx :)
For me it's tough because i feel the red is too close, and the big hit steals all the momentum

Much better players might be able to pull yours off
Thanks Larry

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Bills favorite guy here show is how it's done
:) jk

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsk48ues89kfm2g/17648577_647082178826913_5674680953784500224_n.mp4?dl=0

I like bills and bobs suggestions, I'm terrible at those super thin slices, and cannot get a ball to force follow on a carom table yet, so I will work on those thanks for the suggestions

Pt I looked at that shot before posting but I felt if I could even get to the corner, it would be so far up in there the ball wouldn't reach the 7 rail until the middle or bottom end of the table, not enough angle off the red to catch it right

Here's my favorite player I've beaten! :D

The shot Bob suggested, (from the photos presented) is 99.9% TOO difficult to even attempt! you just can't create that angle!

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those who have trouble visualizing from the camera shots, here is drawing that is pretty close to the pictures.

CropperCaptureb.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shots always look different on the table, so I went to a table. I think I got the positions correct within half a ball. The only table available is a little dirty but it has Simonis 300 and the cushions aren't bad. I did see a lot more shots with the balls on the real table.

The full video was 15 minutes but I cut out the misses and miscues. You see my first tries at each shot except I took one practice shot at the thin hit before I started recording.

https://youtu.be/KDfNYfyg--o

At 4:25, "straight through yellow" should have been, "follow natural through yellow".

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Shots always look different on the table, so I went to a table. I think I got the positions correct within half a ball. The only table available is a little dirty but it has Simonis 300 and the cushions aren't bad. I did see a lot more shots with the balls on the real table.

The full video was 15 minutes but I cut out the misses and miscues. You see my first tries at each shot except I took one practice shot at the thin hit before I started recording.

https://youtu.be/KDfNYfyg--o

At 4:25, "straight through yellow" should have been, "follow natural through yellow".

YOUR diagram and VIDEO are NO where close to BTS photo shown in this thread! PERIOD!

Here is the REAL position of the CB related to the OB in His photo!

NOT the MUCH longer angle YOU reproduce in YOUR video, which is even different than YOUR own diagram!

BTS original photo:

BTSphoto.jpg

Notice the 'Center lines' thru the CB & OB in relation to the long cushions!

Jewittshot.jpg

Here's BJ's diagram show the 'Center lines' thru the CB & OB in relation to the long cushions!

Roughly a 1/3 diamond difference in the angle to the first cushion! Makes a HUGE difference in trying to play the follow-thru shot and thin hit off the OB!

BJFakepositon.jpg

This is a snapshot at the beginning of the BJ's video!

Notice, the 'Center lines' thru the CB & OB in relation to the cushion and BJ's cue and following that line back to most likely to the SHORT cushion! BTW, I gave the snapshot a little bit the best of it, with the 'Center lines!'

This snapshot of BJ's video is NOT even close to the original photo of BTS!

Making BJ's claim that that thin off the red can be made! Of course it can, at this ALTERED angle!

Also, it DOES NOT even come close to BJ's own diagram!

Also, with YOUR position of the CB & OB in the beginning of the video, YOU had difficulty making the, 'Force-Follow' thru the red! OF course, the angle is NOT correct to make the shot easily! Must be hit at 80% FULL instead of FULL in the face as it would be in the ORIGINAL photo by BTS! Done!

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I think they were pretty close actually.

BTS's Photos, my Lines and my diagram of YOUR diagram and snapshot show correct lines thru the balls!

Maybe showing the ENTIRE table in YOUR video would help quantify your claim, Bob!

BTW, me using CAPS, doesn't mean I'm screaming! Just emphasizing a point!

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Thank you bob for your video, time spent and the effort to help out

and I thank you Bill for you help as well, i do enjoy the passion you STILL maintain for the great game

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think there are several things players just learning the game can take away from this thread.

The first is something I remember Bud Harris (The US champion) saying: sometimes a quarter inch on ball placement is the difference between a hanger and not having a shot. In the case of this shot, moving the cue ball less than a ball diameter makes the follow shot a likely kiss or not and the thin hit easy or impossible without some masse. I think it is really hard to say from the original photos exactly the lines the balls had, although I did my best to reproduce the position in both the diagram and on the table.

This means that you need to start to recognize when the position might be a little iffy for a shot. In the case of a kiss, you might try varying the shot with spin or speed to see if you can avoid it. In the case of the angle looking like it's impossible to attain, you need to work to get to the limit to either verify or correct your intuition about the shot.

The best time to work on that sort of thing is in practice so you can duplicate the shot within a few millimeters and change it a few millimeters or centimeters if it proves intractable for your current skill level. Get a carom pencil (fabric marker).

Also, you have to be able to see lots of (potential) options in most positions. For the position of this thread, with the balls out in the open table, you should expect to see a bunch. If the balls are on cushions and distant, you may only find one that has any chance. I know one group of players that likes to find five solutions before they decide on a shot. They must have excellent imaginations and/or tremendous patience.

Finally, good diagrams are essential to understanding this game. Bob Byrne set a high bar compared to previous carom authors with his "Standard" book, but some more recent authors have moved on and found ways to add more info to their diagrams, such as exact speed/spin/elevation details and the order that two balls will pass over a potential kiss spot.

I still like the thin hit with lots of spin.