What pocket size for 9' Anniversary

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sure this has been discussed many times, so please excuse me for a repeat conversation. I have a 9' Anniversary and replaced the veneer rails with Mark Gregory's walnut custom rails. He built them the way he recommended: 4.5" corner pockets and 4 & 5/8" side pockets, and his recommended Superspeed cushions. I've never had so many rattles in my life! So my question is: Will my skill at pocketing balls improve because of the tighter pockets or will the damage to my confidence eventually kill me? I'm a high B player and I practice 3-4 hours a day and take lessons routinely. My teacher thinks I made a mistake getting the tighter pockets. I have Glen Handcock coming to completely rework the table when the snow finally melts. I could have him widen the pockets at that time. I would greatly appreciate the thoughts of this community.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stick with what you have

I have a Centennial done by Mark. Same set up only Simonis 860 HR, Had Mark block the slate, the works. It plays great and everyone who have played on the table loves it.

My bet is with 4 5/8 pockets you rattle more balls and will really be mad because you wasted your money doing it. Here is why; the angle of the cut will tend to throw more balls out. When my table was first redone, I WANTED ARTEMIS CONTINENTAL 55 AND HAD POCKETS CUT 4 5/8. It was miserable and very good players thought so too. The 4 5/8 pockets would spit out balls down the rail and harder shots.

I went to super speed rubber, 4 1/2" pockets and 860 HR and the table is great.

Sorry to hear of your problems, good luck,
Phil

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Centennial done by Mark. Same set up only Simonis 860 HR, Had Mark block the slate, the works. It plays great and everyone who have played on the table loves it.

My bet is with 4 5/8 pockets you rattle more balls and will really be mad because you wasted your money doing it. Here is why; the angle of the cut will tend to throw more balls out. When my table was first redone, I WANTED ARTEMIS CONTINENTAL 55 AND HAD POCKETS CUT 4 5/8. It was miserable and very good players thought so too. The 4 5/8 pockets would spit out balls down the rail and harder shots.

I went to super speed rubber, 4 1/2" pockets and 860 HR and the table is great.

Sorry to hear of your problems, good luck,
Phil
Phil, thanks so much. I too have 860HR but was in a hurry and had a shade tree "mechanic" set the table up in the first place. I don't think he stretched it right. I can not wait for Glen to get here and do his magic.

Reactions: JC

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure this has been discussed many times, so please excuse me for a repeat conversation. I have a 9' Anniversary and replaced the veneer rails with Mark Gregory's walnut custom rails. He built them the way he recommended: 4.5" corner pockets and 4 & 5/8" side pockets, and his recommended Superspeed cushions. I've never had so many rattles in my life! So my question is: Will my skill at pocketing balls improve because of the tighter pockets or will the damage to my confidence eventually kill me? I'm a high B player and I practice 3-4 hours a day and take lessons routinely. My teacher thinks I made a mistake getting the tighter pockets. I have Glen Handcock coming to completely rework the table when the snow finally melts. I could have him widen the pockets at that time. I would greatly appreciate the thoughts of this community.

I mostly play on 4-1/8 pocket diamonds. It's frustrating to hang balls or get double pointed and ball goes to the opponents hole. But when I travel and play on 4.5 pockets I'm like wow that ball went in, I didn't hit it very well but it still went in.

I'm interested in knowing why a Mark table rattles balls. Do you catch the points going in?
Let us know what Glen says about it. I personally think 4.5 is the best all round size pocket. A little tight for straight pool, perfect for 9 ball, a little loose for 1P.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm hoping Glen can make it here in the next month or so.

Outhole

Registered
I have an Annie that Mark did the rails on too. They are 4.5 and I love them. They are tight, but plenty playable .After playing on mine if I go play on a bar box it's like shooting into 5 gallon buckets.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have an Annie that Mark did the rails on too. They are 4.5 and I love them. They are tight, but plenty playable .After playing on mine if I go play on a bar box it's like shooting into 5 gallon buckets.

Did Mark make the side pockets 4&5/8" like mine? So, you're of the opinion it will make us better players?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would go with 5" side pockets, which is the WPA standard size. That's a huge difference for the side pockets.

I'm on a newly installed pro-cut Diamond with 4.5" corner and 5" sides. Very satisfied.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I would go with 5" side pockets, which is the WPA standard size. That's a huge difference for the side pockets.

I'm on a newly installed pro-cut Diamond with 4.5" corner and 5" sides. Very satisfied.

I agree... Less than 5" side pockets make angles shy of the middle end rail diamond very tough.. unless slow rolled.
IMO the sides should be 5" even if the 4 corners are made less than 4 1/2". My table has 4 5/16" corners & 5" sides.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

Good to know and I think I agree. 4 & 5/8" side pockets makes one not want to get shape for the side pockets and that is not good. I hope Glen can open them up for me when he comes.

Outhole

Registered
Did Mark make the side pockets 4&5/8" like mine? So, you're of the opinion it will make us better players?

Yes, they are 4 5/8. They are tight, but it doesn't take long to get used to them.
Just have to shoot straight. :thumbup:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a picture of my Anniversary with the two panel LED light above. I made the light frame out of poplar wood to match the Anniversary.

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 597

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks good. How high did you hang the lights. Is there a diffuser or anything on the led?

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks good. How high did you hang the lights. Is there a diffuser or anything on the led?

It is about 6' high. I'm 6 foot tall but when I lean over just a bit, it's never in the way. If the table were not there, it would hit me in the head. It's two 2' X 4' LED panels end to end. I'm 71 and need light! That is the major thing I miss when I venture out to the pool hall.

canyon_creeper

Registered
Glen should be at my place this week and he's making the pockets 4½" and 5" on my gc1. I'll post pics when it's done.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Glen should be at my place this week and he's making the pockets 4½" and 5" on my gc1. I'll post pics when it's done.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Tell him Dennis is waiting in Salem! But he knows. Hopefully he's able to travel.:smile: