Cue display questions

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would not put it where there is sunlight as many woods darken with exposure to sunlight, and you'll see lighter spots where the cues rest.

Not just the woods, but the other materials as well, like butt cap materials and joint collar materials as well as the finish itself, especially older types of finishes. Newer automotive type finishes are much more resistant but if one thinks they are totally resistant one is in for some disappointment.

This is why I recommend display cases use UV blocking glass. If you have a display case with plain glass a UV blocking film can easily be applied, it's available in rolls.

Long term display of valuable cues with no UV protection at all seems frivolous to me.

Being into older and antique cues makes me especially conscious of this matter.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't that the core reason for the discussion?

In order for movement to happen, the cue would actually be defying gravity to lift away from one of the supports. Otherwise, if all three supports are parallel and in contact with the cue, it's inherently straight. If a cue is cradled and supported the way those swords are, except with a third center support, the only possible direction for a cue to warp is upwards against gravity. That's why I commented on the idea being clever.

yeah well it would be a pretty precision pairing if a selection of cues were to rest equally on 3 pegs,,,,,, I'd be willing to bet most would not, even if the pegs were very precisely located, which is unlikely.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
yeah well it would be a pretty precision pairing if a selection of cues were to rest equally on 3 pegs,,,,,, I'd be willing to bet most would not, even if the pegs were very precisely located, which is unlikely.

Hopefully you wouldn't wager too much on that bet. With set screw adjustment in each support, a kid in shop class could make that display and it would make 3-point contact on any cue you put in it.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think another concern is using a material to cover the resting points that is inert and won't react with the cue finish. I would think this material would need some give, and I wonder if having slightly different pressure at those 3 points will cause finish issues or even allow some movement at said points. Even just having the butt's own weight against those pressure points (albeit the weight divided by 3) I'm not sure would be cause for concern, at least long term. You'd have to rotate each one occasionally as well as shift each one's location laterally to prevent it sitting too long in one position.

If I were to build my own display, as Chopdoc mentions, I'd use UV-blocking glass for sure. I'd also hang the shafts and butts from the top of the case, using rod-end (heim joint) bearings, so each part could seek it's own plumb.

BennyPatrick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No consensus then. I have often thought about the best way to display cues. Paying 5k-15k for a cue (work of art or master display of engineering) and keeping it in a case seems most unusual. I would like to have a nice display cabinet but have not really figured out the best of to do it. It has to be aesthetically pleasing too.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums