Cue ID help

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the same weight bolt that is found on old Falcon cues. I have seen similar points and butts on Falcons. They also used the 5/16x14 pin quite a bit. I know a lot of them weren't sold in the States but some were.

My bet is a Falcon.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably one of the private lines Joss cues built from what everyone is saying.

avmaster

Man of Reason
Gold Member
Silver Member
Prior to selling out to Japan?

Adam cues, and Adam made Balabushka branded cues have always been made in Japan, so I am not sure what you mean.

Bear in mind that Richard Helmstetter set up Adam cues, Richard made cues for National back in the 60's I think. I have one of Richards mid 60's cues. Extremely well made.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bear in mind that Richard Helmstetter set up Adam cues, Richard made cues for National back in the 60's I think. I have one of Richards mid 60's cues. Extremely well made.

Yes indeed.

But they were not Adam cues.

I have one that I think was maybe made by him or perhaps it's a National. It's hard to pin down.

The man knew what he was doing for sure.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the same weight bolt that is found on old Falcon cues. I have seen similar points and butts on Falcons. They also used the 5/16x14 pin quite a bit. I know a lot of them weren't sold in the States but some were.

My bet is a Falcon.

Falcon was essentially set up by Dan Janes.

The early ones were very much like Joss cues of that time. The precursor to them was a short line of Tyler branded cues, named after Janes' daughter I think.

Later Falcon cues were/are made in Asia and are quite different.

I do not yet have an early Falcon or Tyler and would like a good example of each.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The early ones were very much like Joss cues of that time. The precursor to them was a short line of Tyler branded cues, named after Janes' daughter I think.

I do not yet have an early Falcon or Tyler and would like a good example of each.

This explains why when people ask me about Falcon cues I say they are very similar to Joss, but I had not idea how similar LOL. The build and hit was similar.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

https://youtu.be/adUbpn7WZYA?t=67

Not quite.
Janes did tool up Falcon in Canada.
But, the assembly was different.
Joss used finger joint to join the forearm to the handle.
They use threaded coring dowels now.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/adUbpn7WZYA?t=67

Not quite.
Janes did tool up Falcon in Canada.
But, the assembly was different.
Joss used finger joint to join the forearm to the handle.
They use threaded coring dowels now.

I believe that was right around the time when Janes was transitioning Joss cues from a finger joint to a threaded core. There were in fact finger joint Joss cues made even after they started using a threaded core.

Incidentally, as I remember it, Janes had custom cutters made for that finger joint machine and last I heard it was still sitting in the shop.

The core Joss uses now is a stepped core threaded at each end for the butt cap and joint collar respectively.

I didn't mean to imply they were identical or that Joss made them. I said Janes set up Falcon, as you said "tooled up".

I think when you look at the Joss cues of the era, the Tyler cues, and the early Falcon cues, the common heritage is obvious.

So, I think the early Falcons were very much like Joss cues, as I said. But not the same as you point out.

The Joss blog has a lot of history of the construction and a few pics. https://josscues.com/blog/

deanosdino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adam veneer colors.

I've seen some Adam cues that use identical veneer colors to these. I've seen them on the Adam Rambow cue model. I had a Steve Mizerak cue made by Adam circa late 80's that had that weight bolt. It wasn't the typical cheap Mizerak cue either. It had butterfly veneers and inlays in the butt sleeve and razor sharp spliced points with two shafts. Pretty sure it's a product of Adam cue company.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen some Adam cues that use identical veneer colors to these. I've seen them on the Adam Rambow cue model. I had a Steve Mizerak cue made by Adam circa late 80's that had that weight bold. It wasn't the typical cheap Mizerak cue either. It had butterfly veneers and inlays in the butt sleeve and razor sharp spliced points with two shafts. Pretty sure it's a product of Adam cue company.

If you don't mind, post a pic of the Mizerak cue and it's weight bolt. :smile:

deanosdino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have it anymore, unfortunately.

If you don't mind, post a pic of the Mizerak cue and it's weight bolt. :smile:

I gave that to Jim Ingram a few years ago. I will see if he still has it and doesn't mind me taking a few pics.

JSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue

I think the wide rings are key, looks like Cortland wrap also tells me it could be a GB series or Tasc? Maybe? I've seen another maker with the thick rings and also marked the shafts like this one, just can't recall who.

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the wide rings are key, looks like Cortland wrap also tells me it could be a GB series or Tasc? Maybe? I've seen another maker with the thick rings and also marked the shafts like this one, just can't recall who.

In no way shape or form is this a tasc

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'm amazed this is still kicking around.

It's an early Helmstetter / Adam cue, whichever ownership to which you choose to ascribe. Clues:

Points: Exact length and spacing for Adam, and colors are right on, for what would be the later Balabushka series.

Ferrules: Synthetic, not ivory.

Buttplate: They called it Cerocite, Helmstetter probably had a different name for it in the early days; maybe didn't even have a name for it, as he was experimenting. But it's a similar material.

Bumper: Sticks out quite a bit from the buttplate, typical from Helmstetter / Adam.

Joint Collars: When typical Bushka joint rings are used, the cuemaker makes the nickel ring not too much inside the outer black acrylic or phenolic ring. Not so with Adam. They (Helmstetter) chose to make the nickel ring slightly more centered, and the outer black ring much thicker. This is obviously that cue.

Also, not Cortland wrap.

Also, not a Tascarella, by any stretch, as has been mentioned. No similarity, whatsoever.

There are some who are torn up by the weight bolt. Don't be. They used all varieties of weight bolts in those days. It's not a deal-breaker in cue identification.

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

deanosdino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Mizerak cue

I talked to Jim Ingram, he no longer has the Steve Mizerak Adam cue so I can't provide any pictures. It had a weight bolt similar to this one, but was black rather than nickel silver. Interesting side note though, he was working on a Tim Scruggs cue that had a weight bolt like the one in this post. He told me the same thing that many AZ'rs have stated, Joss used that bold for many years. We know Tim Scruggs worked for Danny Janes for several years early on. I still think it is an Adam, however I must admit it could be something else.