To play or not to play??

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am looking for input from other cuemakers.

The cuemakers tournament is a charity event and is open to all cuemakers that are well established, even pro pool playing cuemakers like Bobby Hunter or Shawn Putnam. The winner gets the title of International 9 Ball Champion of Cuemakers.

Here is the dilemma.

I won the first tournament five years ago. Then lost out the next three years and won it again last year. Part of me says lay off a year since it is a charity event to make sure there is a new winner, but the other part of me says in order to keep the purity of the competition I should try my best to win it every year.

The pool player in me wants to become three time or more champion, but the charity part of me feels bad about winning a tournament that I started.

The pool player part of me thinks that everyone would love to be known to have dominated an event, but the charity part of me does not want to make it look like the tournament is self serving.

If I lay off it does not seem like a true competition, and if I play and get lucky and win again, will that be looked down on?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Cody Cash

Registered
Regardless of how many times you win your still playing for charity who can look down on that

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
I'm going to need a Cuesmith Deluxe shipped to my door completely free of charge before I can give an honest answer....lol... I say play

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regardless of how many times you win your still playing for charity who can look down on that

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree.

Respectfully, I am not a cue maker but occasionally comment in this forum.

There is no real reason to step aside.

Play, and play to win. Everybody should respect that.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should play Chris!
I`m guessing most of your time is taken up with the business and cue making, go enjoy yourself :smile:

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play

PLAY. Not only play - play your guys out. Make someone else earn it. If you lay off - It's a very bad thing.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris,
I think that if you don't play, it will be a hollow victory for the winner. He won't know if he is the best or not.
My 2 cents,
Gary

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
In the spirit of charity, who cares who wins? The more entries, the better the charity. Everybody should enjoy themselves & play for the purpose of a good cause.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Refrain from playing if you truly feel it hurts the tournament. I HAVE seen weekly "handicapped" tournaments wiped from the face of the earth because the owner won about 70% of them.

You can always ask for a few non monetary donations, so everyone has a chance to win something....regardless.

In my opinion, charity is charity. I'm there to support the cause and winning comes in second. If someone gets upset because the same person wins more than once, they need to be reminded of that.

There are five year olds, head's shaved and bed ridden, dying of cancer that may never even get a chance to play pool. Sometimes we all lose perspective about what's truly important in this world....

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As far as the charity part goes the cuemakers have been awesome. One cuemaker donated $500 and did not even play. He just asked to play the winner a race to five for fun. Many doubled their entry fee to $100 just to help the children's home out. Many others donate without even playing or being a cuemaker. But as mentioned I don't want players to resent a Hightower winning it. My son also is a two time champion and David Rowell won it the 4th year. But I also want that trophy that says Cuemakers International 9-Ball Championship 1st place or second place to mean something to the winner, so I think I will go ahead and play. My son most likely will play if he goes with me. He knocked me out two years and John Rocker knocked me out the other year.
Thanks,
Chris

akaminski

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weather it is for charity or not, as long as it is not handicapped then you should play.

There is no excuse other than you were better than the rest of the field. They should step their games up to beat you.

I could see if there were handicaps because you could bring yourself in at a lower rating but it isn't.

Don't second guess it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk