Merry Widow Pricing

Ravenbrook

Registered
I've looked around at the For Sale forum enough, and while I'm not in the market for a new stick now, I've noticed prices on Merry Widows all over the place. With two makers making a relatively plain MW out of the same kind of wood, maybe a few rings added, what makes one a $400 stick and one a $1400+ stick? Is it the quality of the wood? Does one put more effort into getting the balance perfect? Or is it mainly in the shaft? Or a combination of both? Does the Name have a lot to do with it? Or in the case of a cuemaker like Dennis Searing that has a 10 year waiting list (That's what I read somewhere) does that play into it as well?

Just curious as I'm getting closer to looking for something new, but for now my Mezz Axi is playing nicely for me.

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
It's pretty much based on who makes it. a new beginner cue maker $150 a well established cuemaker as mentioned Searing $2,400 So it's what you like and can afford.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've looked around at the For Sale forum enough, and while I'm not in the market for a new stick now, I've noticed prices on Merry Widows all over the place. With two makers making a relatively plain MW out of the same kind of wood, maybe a few rings added, what makes one a $400 stick and one a $1400+ stick? Is it the quality of the wood? Does one put more effort into getting the balance perfect? Or is it mainly in the shaft? Or a combination of both? Does the Name have a lot to do with it? Or in the case of a cuemaker like Dennis Searing that has a 10 year waiting list (That's what I read somewhere) does that play into it as well?

Just curious as I'm getting closer to looking for something new, but for now my Mezz Axi is playing nicely for me.

If your Mezz Axi, is playing nicely for you, stick with it. If you're hell bent on a custom, figure out what you want to spend, and then test drive various makers in your price range, or at least contact a few, and go with whichever one makes you feel the most at ease about the process. JMO. :cool:
j2

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to know some cue makers who are newer who are that low. I have a teammate who wants a cue for around that lower price but I know i probably wouldnt find one for that price. I'm sure a merry widow or plain jane could be a good option so if anyone knows someone let me know.

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you realize the amount of hours you spend making that one cue you'll understand where the pricing comes in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to know some cue makers who are newer who are that low. I have a teammate who wants a cue for around that lower price but I know i probably wouldnt find one for that price. I'm sure a merry widow or plain jane could be a good option so if anyone knows someone let me know.
Tell us what you are looking for in terms of woods, joint, ringwork, wrap, no wrap, shafts etc.
I think it's quite possible to make a fine merry widow for that price, as long as your happy with reasonably priced woods and simple ringwork.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
More often, the maker's reputation dictates the price.

It'd be silly for a cue maker to sell his cues for $400 when his cues are getting flipped for $1400.

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More often, the maker's reputation dictates the price.

It'd be silly for a cue maker to sell his cues for $400 when his cues are getting flipped for $1400.

And demand...

I'm sure it's similar to the custom guitar community. As a builder's reputation and demand grows, he stems it by increasing prices.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
It's pretty much based on who makes it. a new beginner cue maker $150 a well established cuemaker as mentioned Searing $2,400 So it's what you like and can afford.

If you are going to sell cues for 150.00 you are not only putting no value on your time or work, but undermining someone who relies on selling cues for profit as a way of putting food on the table.

Happens in photography all the time. Why pay a pro money when some guy with his IPAD can do an "acceptable" job for merely photo credit. Better yet, scour the internet and simply steal some work.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Hinekanman,
The best bang for the buck, when wanting a $$$ type cue but only have the ability to spend only $$ is a McDermott Lucky series cue, IMO. They are straight, look good, and play well, even though they are made in china, they, IMHO, are the best for that price line.
Now this may come off gruff, but not meant that way.... People have to realize that even a beginning cue maker putting in all the long hours to make a cue from squares of wood and other blank materials, cannot afford to sell a well made, well finished, handmade cue for less than a few hundred dollars to start with, depending on the woods used. Too expect someone to do it as low as $150, just because that is what a customer wants to pay for a handmade product, just ask yourself, would you do your current job for, at best, 10 -25% of what you get now?? And you have to do the best work you can, would you do it?? Now also keep in mind, your current job may supply all the equipment and pays all the bills associated with it. Which with a cuemaker, no one does that for him/her, they have to do that on their own.
Now there will always be people that will give you a product for that price, but....the product usually turns out to be much less than what the customer expected.
Dave