Apr. 10-14, 2017 US Open Straight Pool Championship

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Looks like they had some good matches there. Aside from a few on facebook, I don't think we'll get to see any. I know they weren't streaming. They may have been filming to upload later, but probably not.

I guess a lot of the pros said they did not know about it, but I know it was announced in plenty of time.

Our pool hall passed on a qualifier this year. Our players are used to seeing two people qualify in a field of 16 at $105 an entry. US Open only qualifies one, with a bit of the excess money going to the room and a lot of it going to CSI. They were used to paying $105 entry for the World Qualifier and having 2 qualify.

Too bad because it looked like some great players at the end and some great matches and it would have been nice if it gained a little traction.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
Mika FB-live-streamed 2 matches, and Darren was i think recording the Melling-Lee Van Corteza semifinal.

the latter being a travesty in my view. yes, Chris ignored 14.1 tenets once or twice, but Lee Van was constantly blasting away at the pack without apparent thought, or going blindly into clusters with no insurance, playing incomprehensible or nonexistent patterns, and a litany of other straight pool no-no's. the difference is that LVC got good rolls and Chris didn't. and, yes, i'm well aware of George Fels' saying "all rolls, good and bad, are a function of cue ball speed", but i didn't see such an educated approach at work here. to give LVC credit, he simply doesn't miss, despite fundamentals you expect to see in a local 8-ball league.

i couldn't stay for the final with Thorsten and LVC, but from what i observed in Thorsten's matches over the week, the 5.25" pockets were gobbling even more of his power break shots than they do on Diamond 4.5" pockets. no surprise there. i have to guess he turned the table over on that factor once too often.

Last edited:

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had four in the California qualifier. One problem is that it was scheduled for only two weeks before the Open and it is harder to arrange travel/vacation on short notice. It's possible I was the only player in the qualifier who could/would have gone.

Wow, I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. Didn't know there were 14.1 qualifiers scheduled for this area. Oh well.