Carom tables in Canada?

FreddyOttawa

Registered
Hi All,

Is there some sort of listing anywhere that shows places in Canada that have a Carom table?

I enjoy watching 3c and i'd love to give this game a try for myself but I don't know of any place near where I live (Ottawa) that has a table.

I'm sure Toronto must have a couple of places but was wondering whether there was anything closer to home.

A long shot I know but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

Thanks,
Freddy.

tiger37373

3 Cushion Enthusiast
Silver Member
There used to be one table in Montreal, but they removed it a couple years ago. I think there's one private table in Toronto. As far as, I know that's it. They can't make space with all the snooker tables, I guess.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There used to be three carom tables at Le Skrtach in Laval....
..we actually had a Canadian -cushion championship there a few years ago.
...can't recall the winner...will find out.

...also one table at Le Skratch in Brossard.

We had Longoni ten footers in Toronto at three places...unheated.... but world class.
...also two Brunswicks.
...they're gone now.

Toronto has many nine footers at Vietnamese and Korean rooms...but no ten footers.
I would imagine Ottawa has a few also.
...but it's not as much fun playing on a nine foot...traffic patterns are different...
...and they tend to have slower cloth...so many standard shots don't work.

A few of us would love to have a world class heated billiard table....
...but hard to find a room that wants to give up the space.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what the makeup of your ethnic enclaves is that area.

In my experience if there are Hispanics from certain countries, Koreans, Vietnamese, sometimes Greeks, etc. it's worth diving in and asking as many folks as you can if they've seen or heard of a table with no pockets.

Lots of times you might find one in a church or community center, or someone might have a relative who knows a guy who has one, etc.

tiger37373

3 Cushion Enthusiast
Silver Member
The tables that were in La Skratch Laval are long gone. They reduced to one table like three years ago, and then removed the remaining one permanently. Can't blame them, the oldie crowd that played there refused to play on the table unless it was during the $5, play all day promotion time and then complain about that even. they didn't want to support the business. So there wasn't any incentive for the owners to keep it there, when they could make money off another pool or snooker table.

I hunted and never found another table in Montreal.

I heard that there was a guy that had put a Gabriels in his house, but could never get any contact info out of anyone.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Yura the installer will post a picture on his facebook page when he installs one lots of times, and he's worth calling to ask him the closest one (I know he crisscrosses the US, but am not sure about Canada).

If I'm ever in another city again and need to find a table, I'll try to ask him and save myself some time.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Just adding this in here

Master billiards

121-1001 Austin Ave, Coquitlam, BC V3K 3N9, Canada
picture.php

9ft tables are loads of fun

Flyer

I just put a brand new 5' X 10' Heated Soren Soogard in at my house last week. Feel free to look me up if you're ever in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island ;).

Attachments

• IMG-20220520-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220520-WA0001.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 207

TrxR

I just put a brand new 5' X 10' Heated Soren Soogard in at my house last week. Feel free to look me up if you're ever in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island ;).
Who did you go through to get that and who did the install? I'm assuming it was quite expensive . I would love to have one here in NB.

Also what is the table under the cover?

All you need now is a 6x12 snooker table :)

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be three carom tables at Le Skrtach in Laval....
..we actually had a Canadian -cushion championship there a few years ago.
...can't recall the winner...will find out.

...also one table at Le Skratch in Brossard.

We had Longoni ten footers in Toronto at three places...unheated.... but world class.
...also two Brunswicks.
...they're gone now.

Toronto has many nine footers at Vietnamese and Korean rooms...but no ten footers.
I would imagine Ottawa has a few also.
...but it's not as much fun playing on a nine foot...traffic patterns are different...
...and they tend to have slower cloth...so many standard shots don't work.

A few of us would love to have a world class heated billiard table....
...but hard to find a room that wants to give up the space.
Turning the same way in the states.
Pity.
Pocket billiards players don't realize how 3 cushion can improve your pocket billiard game.
The rails are your friends!
Short story.
When Expo time came around in Oaks, Pa., the pros used to come in at night to a great room in Phoenixville, Pa.
which has now closed.
They had a heated 10 foot Gabriels Kronos and the pros loved that table.
Jimmy Fusco used to come in almost every Friday night with his South Philly friends to play on that table.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Turning the same way in the states.
Pity.
Pocket billiards players don't realize how 3 cushion can improve your pocket billiard game.
The rails are your friends!
Short story.
When Expo time came around in Oaks, Pa., the pros used to come in at night to a great room in Phoenixville, Pa.
which has now closed.
They had a heated 10 foot Gabriels Kronos and the pros loved that table.
Jimmy Fusco used to come in almost every Friday night with his South Philly friends to play on that table.
I’ve played on that table….also Florida Bob’s place.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve played on that table….also Florida Bob’s place.
Good chance I might have met you there.
Do you wear a vest when you play 3C?

Yup, Drexeline.
He had 2 heated 10 foot Chevillottes.
Spent quite a few hours on them.
Drexeline has closed by the way.
Rumors are one of the housemen at Drexeline is opening a room nearby Bob's old place.
We shall see.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beyond nice.
We have the same tables at the room I frequent and the adjective I use when describing the Soren sogaard: glorious.
Screenshot_20201204-073153.jpg

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i still dont and ive played plenty of both
straight rail helps pool more than 3c does, especially 8 ball and 14.1
but no one wants to play that
no wonder the game dies when people only want to play one super hard game on only huge 10k tables

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i still dont and ive played plenty of both
straight rail helps pool more than 3c does, especially 8 ball and 14.1
but no one wants to play that
no wonder the game dies when people only want to play one super hard game on only huge 10k tables
I would like to see 5x10 pocket billiard tables brought back.
Before you know it we will have 6 foot tables all over the place.
Can fit more into the designated space.

Flyer

I bought it direct from Soren Soogard in Denmark and had it shipped overseas to Montreal and then freighted to PEI. Delivery was tricky but i had a friend with a loader get it off the truck and into my workshop. I had the best 3C table mechanic (YURA) come up from Jersey to properly install. It was very pricy but I've wanted one for almost 20 years after spending a year in the South of France learning to play 3C on Chevillottes at the Beziers Billiards club. I'm pretty sure it's the only proper carom table in Canada East of Montreal.

The other table is an older 4.5 X 9 Palason with Simonis 760. I'll probably replace that at some point with a Diamond or a Gold Crown.

If you're in NB and heading over to PEI any time get in touch if you want to play.

TrxR

I bought it direct from Soren Soogard in Denmark and had it shipped overseas to Montreal and then freighted to PEI. Delivery was tricky but i had a friend with a loader get it off the truck and into my workshop. I had the best 3C table mechanic (YURA) come up from Jersey to properly install. It was very pricy but I've wanted one for almost 20 years after spending a year in the South of France learning to play 3C on Chevillottes at the Beziers Billiards club. I'm pretty sure it's the only proper carom table in Canada East of Montreal.

The other table is an older 4.5 X 9 Palason with Simonis 760. I'll probably replace that at some point with a Diamond or a Gold Crown.

If you're in NB and heading over to PEI any time get in touch if you want to play.
Played a fair bit of pool on Palason tables . The local pool hall had them but it's now closed. Been playing at the local Legion but all they got is 5 4x8 Valleys.

Gold Crowns aren't easy to find in Eastern Canada, been keeping an eye open for one my self. Been looking at Diamonds and Rasson tables. Might be a while before I have to space for one though.

Geosnookery

I know of of one here in Calgary. In a Vietnamese restaurant/bar. I personally never been there. I haven’t seen one in Canada that I can remember.