New cloth plays "slow"... can you tell me why?

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was visiting a local room here in Houston that just had three Gabriels tables re-covered with Simonis Rapide 300 cloth. I played on a couple of the tables... here is my impression:

1. As expected there is a great deal of slide... the cloth was literally a day old.
2. Unfortunately I think the tables play "slow". What I mean: with a normal amount of energy in a stroke the cue ball slows down and does not travel as far as I expected. I missed a number of shots where the cue ball died several inches before the carom.

The tables were re-covered by a local mechanic who is more experienced with pool tables. The room owner watched him work and in spite of his suggestion to STRETCH!!!! felt the mechanic didn't stretch the cloth as much or as well as other mechanics who have worked for the room in the past. The owner said he didn't put as much muscle into the process and didn't seem to have a clamping tool specifically designed to grip the cloth and facilitate the job. The room owner took a chance and is not very happy... three tables -- cloth and labor -- is a lot of money!

Anyone experienced with this symptom please comment... will a weak job of initially stretching new cloth result in a slow table from day one? Is there another reason why the tables might be playing slow? (Question: Can the cloth be installed wrong side up? Or are both sides the same?)

This is an important lesson and one that needs a solution here in Houston. There are close to 50 tables in town and many mechanics good and bad have come through at various times to re-cover them. An ambitious person with the right tools and the right talent could do pretty well servicing the city if they could demonstrate they know how to do the job right. Out of town mechanics cost big bucks when you add in travel.

Just thinkin' here.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You might try the "Ask the Mechanic" forum.

If the tables were good and fast before the covering I think you can ascribe the slowness to the lack of stretch.

It is easy to measure the speed of the cloth if you have a stopwatch. Time a good lag from hitting the far rail until it stops just before hitting the near rail. 10 seconds is good, 7 seconds is pretty bad.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i dont think you have to use a tool, becuase when i attempted to use it, instantly i didnt like it because i couldnt feel anything,

stretching by hand,while very tough, for me worked better because i could feel the tension

the bottom and top side are different, if you ever get a piece with the text up, thats the top side, and take another piece and flip it, you can see a difference,

plus these guys need to be trying out royal pro, at half the price or more less, its worth giving it atleast ONE shot

It's all over South America and Europe

Last edited:

dogloose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob... thanks for the tip about the speed... measuring with a lag is a good thing to know!

Rick... Would you recover a Gabriels table with Royal Pro? Maybe that is the solution for the city... get one installed and tested...

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
If I were paid what I need, of course

That's the main issue, they want to pay x and it takes you so long, plus you have to hire help,or hope the club has employees that can help, one man does not recover a ten ft billiard table alone, it's just not happening
Especially those Gabriels tanks
And even with 2 people it's just alot,ALOT of work,

Last edited:

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was visiting a local room here in Houston that just had three Gabriels tables re-covered with Simonis Rapide 300 cloth. I played on a couple of the tables... here is my impression:

1. As expected there is a great deal of slide... the cloth was literally a day old.
2. Unfortunately I think the tables play "slow". What I mean: with a normal amount of energy in a stroke the cue ball slows down and does not travel as far as I expected. I missed a number of shots where the cue ball died several inches before the carom.

The tables were re-covered by a local mechanic who is more experienced with pool tables. The room owner watched him work and in spite of his suggestion to STRETCH!!!! felt the mechanic didn't stretch the cloth as much or as well as other mechanics who have worked for the room in the past. The owner said he didn't put as much muscle into the process and didn't seem to have a clamping tool specifically designed to grip the cloth and facilitate the job. The room owner took a chance and is not very happy... three tables -- cloth and labor -- is a lot of money!

Anyone experienced with this symptom please comment... will a weak job of initially stretching new cloth result in a slow table from day one? Is there another reason why the tables might be playing slow? (Question: Can the cloth be installed wrong side up? Or are both sides the same?)

This is an important lesson and one that needs a solution here in Houston. There are close to 50 tables in town and many mechanics good and bad have come through at various times to re-cover them. An ambitious person with the right tools and the right talent could do pretty well servicing the city if they could demonstrate they know how to do the job right. Out of town mechanics cost big bucks when you add in travel.

Just thinkin' here.

TWO THOUGHTS:

FIRST THOUGHT: Yes, the cloth needs to be stretched VERY tightly plus EVENLY and most "POOL TABLE MECHANICS" don't know the technique.....first of all it requires TWO people, one stretching and one stapling, it is a four handed job, one man cannot do it. There is only ONE MAN in the country who can a carom table right: KYONG H. "Yura" RA. You can find him on facebook.

SECOND THOUGHT: because of your totally bad form at the table, jumping up, slapping at the ball with your cue rather than going straight through, and other problems, such as shot selection, you cannot be the judge of how fast or slow a table is. Until your mechanics are brought under control any table will always play slow for you.

Sorry, don't mean to insult but the truth must out.....LOL

dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jewett and Dennis have the answer and Rick has the possibility of the cloth being upside down.
If the logo is missing its a little difficult to tell which side should be up, especially a mechanic with little experience.

I've played maybe 30 hours on Royal Pro. Its decent to play on but I'm just not sure if its durability is there for a public table. It may be slightly faster but I don't see it with my feeble experience. I don't have experience with the Houston rooms but if they're anything like most rooms I don't believe the cloth will last without religious cleaning of balls and cloth.

Lastly, when pricing out a recover job, like most things, you get what you pay for. Usually there is no bottom to the prices, although quality of work starts to level out around the mid-range and below. If you're wanting to attract and retain customers why on earth would you go cheap/sub par on this?

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is only ONE MAN in the country who can a carom table right: KYONG H. "Yura" RA. You can find him on facebook.

Yeah man, Yura did my table and I thought I was being a nice guy, trying to help him every step of the way.

Eventually I realized I was IN his way!

So I made myself busy getting food, picking up staples, and replacing the lower radiator hose that busted on his van and was spitting coolant all over my driveway!

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah man, Yura did my table and I thought I was being a nice guy, trying to help him every step of the way.

Eventually I realized I was IN his way!

So I made myself busy getting food, picking up staples, and replacing the lower radiator hose that busted on his van and was spitting coolant all over my driveway!

YEAH.....when Yura has got his mojo working just stay out of his way......lol

Thanks for taking care of his van....it is older than he is almost

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was the kind of repair you hate to make -- a totally preventable one caused by someone's inattention to detail.

The last person to work on the hose had apparently neglected to tuck it back into its little protected nook/latch area that keeps it from running against the steering knuckle.

Yura parked at my place in the morning and the hose was spitting coolant like those fake arterial neck wounds on Saturday Night Live, haha.

Fixing that and getting him a legit south Louisiana seafood platter was the least I could do.