New cue

Ironhead1970

Registered
I'm looking to get a new cue within the next 60 days willing to spend around $350. Right now I'm playing with a older Action love the small pro taper on it. Any ideas on what to stay away from and what to look for and from who?

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking to get a new cue within the next 60 days willing to spend around $350. Right now I'm playing with a older Action love the small pro taper on it. Any ideas on what to stay away from and what to look for and from who?
You might be able to get a used Diveney sneaky Pete within your budget. I'm also a fan of the Mezz ec7 series. A used Schon in your price range will set you up nicely.

There have been many posts like this and the usual response is Schmelke. You can get something from them for a fraction of your budget.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm fairly new to the game but I've done a ton of research for my recent purchase. If you're going used that gives you a lot of options, but if you want new I'd go with Joss or Pechauer if you prefer a firmer hit, McDermott if you like it a little softer.

kempf80

Registered
My vote goes to Pechauer, I have one of their pro-models and it so good I can't wait to shoot balls with it. That's literally all I think of at work -besides work of course :cool:

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a Pechauer JP02-N. It's great, and I looked at the Pro series...which has a piloted joint and a different tip, but wasn't sure that was worth an extra $100. Have you played the JP series and what are the differences between them and the Pro? Thanks.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mezz cues are some of the best made cues out there, definitely worth a look in to. I would go with an EC7 serie cue or MSP serie if you like the sneaky pete style. Seyberts has a nice variety in stock :smile:

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at the reviews of the Schmelke cues on here. they make an excellent cue for the money and are great to work with.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Look at the reviews of the Schmelke cues on here. they make an excellent cue for the money and are great to work with.

I absolutely agree that Schmelke makes a great cue. I've purchased 3 cues in the last 2 months, one Mezz and two Schmelke. For the price, Schmelke can't be beat, but with a budget of $350, I would take the Mezz every time.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there!

If you're using closed bridges the you can / should stay with a small pro taper.
Most 12,X shafts use that.

If you like to work on things and improve your playing you'll look at 11,X shafts; they're usually using a canonical taper, which greatly improves stroking accuracy for open bridges.

I'd stay away from Predator, it's just overpriced and quality is not consistent, so you can have really bad luck.

Mezz (EC7 or Axi) gets a vote from me too. Just gorgeous and high quality.
WX900 is a good shaft with 12mm. I do not like that Mezz doesn't do 11,X mm shafts, however.

Cuetec R360 series (CEV, CER) also get a vote from me. They are cheaper around 190$ , but quality and the R360 shafts are excellent.
A work mans cue, gets the job done, looks fine but decent.
Just get rid of the Everest tip.
And then you have 200$ left for a gift to your wife :wink: or something meaningful.

In general, check the tip the cue comes with and find out what you like BETTER. Most tend to use Tiger Everest, which is a horrible tip.
Try a Ultraskin M as a start and work your way from there.

Please also keep in mind: when you change cues you'll need to change your playing. It will take time to get used to the new cue. Do not go back to your old one.

Cheers,
M

TILT9

Banned
Try going to a billiard shop and have an actual hands on experience.
you should find at least 1 practice table to try out your choice.

Rackattach

Banned
Mezz is a Japan product with good tolerances and a good finish. Being a cue builder myself I know what to appreciate. I recommend and play Viking Cues with Vikore Shafts.