How is the pool scene in Lafayette, LA?

Why do you want to move there?

I don't think your a troll Justin, You're just misunderstood

I do not know if it is a nice place to live (it may not be, but only one way to find out), but I thought it might have a really great pool scene. I always wanted to live in an area with a really great pool scene, but I never have. For now, I can only think of a few reasons I would like it better then where I am currently living. Much better food (I think I would love the food), and much shorter winters. I am tired of these really long winters. I read that it is high in crime, but I can't imagine it could be any worse then Louisville. I don't know, maybe it is a stupid idea. I just been really depressed the last 3 years in Louisville, and really need a change of scenery.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not know if it is a nice place to live (it may not be, but only one way to find out), but I thought it might have a really great pool scene. I always wanted to live in an area with a really great pool scene, but I never have. For now, I can only think of a few reasons I would like it better then where I am currently living. Much better food (I think I would love the food), and much shorter winters. I am tired of these really long winters. I read that it is high in crime, but I can't imagine it could be any worse then Louisville. I don't know, maybe it is a stupid idea. I just been really depressed the last 3 years in Louisville, and really need a change of scenery.
La. is awesome. Weather is great except for the occasional hurricane, food is crazy good, the people are great and they do LOVE their pool. I will guarantee that you won't see snow except for the occasional flake or two in the very northern parts. Also, if you hunt/fish you'll like it even better.

La. is awesome. Weather is great except for the occasional hurricane, food is crazy good, the people are great and they do LOVE their pool. I will guarantee that you won't see snow except for the occasional flake or two in the very northern parts. Also, if you hunt/fish you'll like it even better.

Thanks. I have been to New Orleans a few times, and I really loved the food. Lafayette is not too far away, and I could take trips to New Orleans for fairly cheap (via the Amtrak) if I lived in Lafayette. I do not like really big cities, and thought that Lafayette might be a nice medium (not too big, and not too small). I also heard that the people down south are much more friendly, so that is a big plus for me.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might consider laying into a supply of 'Off Deep Woods Insect Repellent", they got skeeters big enough to stand flat-footed and butt **** a turkey !!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might consider laying into a supply of 'Off Deep Woods Insect Repellent", they got skeeters big enough to stand flat-footed and butt **** a turkey !!!
Don't forget those giant-a** rats they call nutria. Big enough to haul-off a small child.:D

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member

Try this stuff for an insect repellent.

One part Listerine mouthwash, one part Witch Hazel then one drop of Tee Tree Oil per 4oz of mix.

For example: 8oz Listerine and 8oz of Witch Hazel in a spray bottle then 4 drops of the Tee Tree oil. If you like the smell you can add a couple more drops of the oil.

Everything is inexpensive...the tee tree oil is about 7 bucks for a little bottle but lasts a real long time.

Smells decent and no bad chemicals like most repellents, it's good before you go outside for doing anything and if you forget to use it it's good after the fact if you get bit by bugs, it's ok to spray on your clothes, your face, the screens of your doors to repell them away from your entrance.

It's the best thing for little kids because you're not spraying them with nasty chemicals. Tell them to close their eyes and spray them up or spray it your hands and rub it on their face and neck.

For those that try it and like it PM me for my paypal in thanks.

ExilePreacher

Equal Opportunity Gadfly
Silver Member
I lived their for a few years. Great pool seen then. I've visited a few times since then. Great pool seen especially White Diamonds. Chris Miller is a class act. As for living there you just gotta find your right niche. A great number of Cajuns are the nicest folks on earth. They could never have met you but treat you like close family. A few others are the exact opposite. If you're an outsider or OTF (other than French) you equal something between the scum on the bayou water surface and dog semen. Lafayette is the former for the most part. But the parishes that border it can be rough on an outsider. All that being said, there's one thing for sure: they got the most gorgeous women on earth, white, black, brown, whatever. I know, I've been married to one for 15 years.

What about palmetto bugs? Very large flying roaches? Those things scare the hell out of me, lol. I might die from the fear, if I see one in my house, and am unable to kill it.

Last edited:
I lived their for a few years. Great pool seen then. I've visited a few times since then. Great pool seen especially White Diamonds. Chris Miller is a class act. As for living there you just gotta find your right niche. A great number of Cajuns are the nicest folks on earth. They could never have met you but treat you like close family. A few others are the exact opposite. If you're an outsider or OTF (other than French) you equal something between the scum on the bayou water surface and dog semen. Lafayette is the former for the most part. But the parishes that border it can be rough on an outsider. All that being said, there's one thing for sure: they got the most gorgeous women on earth, white, black, brown, whatever. I know, I've been married to one for 15 years.

Thanks for the info. Sounds really nice for the most part.

Try this stuff for an insect repellent.

One part Listerine mouthwash, one part Witch Hazel then one drop of Tee Tree Oil per 4oz of mix.

For example: 8oz Listerine and 8oz of Witch Hazel in a spray bottle then 4 drops of the Tee Tree oil. If you like the smell you can add a couple more drops of the oil.

Everything is inexpensive...the tee tree oil is about 7 bucks for a little bottle but lasts a real long time.

Smells decent and no bad chemicals like most repellents, it's good before you go outside for doing anything and if you forget to use it it's good after the fact if you get bit by bugs, it's ok to spray on your clothes, your face, the screens of your doors to repell them away from your entrance.

It's the best thing for little kids because you're not spraying them with nasty chemicals. Tell them to close their eyes and spray them up or spray it your hands and rub it on their face and neck.

For those that try it and like it PM me for my paypal in thanks.

Very interesting. I always hated getting bit up by mosquitoes, but have learned that just so I am not outside at a certain time of day (like usually right when the sun is about to go down, and it starts to get dark), they do not bother me. I do not know how bad the issue is down in LA though. Some good repellent might really be needed. Thanks for the info.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up and all of my family is there. So is most of my wife's family. It took me 15 years to convince her to move away for a job promotion. Great people, best food on the plant IMO. Pool scene is good, Houston is better, New Orleans probably a bit in between.

Mosquitos will eat you alive, yes to flying big roaches, as mentioned you can eat nutria and just about anything else you can shoot with a gun. They don't call Louisiana sportsman's paradise for nothing. Great fishing both fresh and saltwater, and great hunting. If you like seafood you will be in heaven. And women are beautiful (I took one off the market there 27 years ago).

Job market will be pretty hard to break into there at the moment with depressed oil prices. Thousands (literally) have been laid off in the Lafayette area in the past couple of years, and the industry hasn't rebounded yet.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
In addition to what others have said.

White Diamonds and other surrounding pool halls frequently have "charity pool events" to help locals who are down on their luck as well as Jack and Jill tournaments. New Iberia (Emerald Billiards) has one of the largest league operations in the state and they are about 20-30 minutes from Lafayette. Large pool room in the middle of a sugar cane field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-73_tXWjP8

Check out Paula Crabtree on Facebook. She is the lady in the know.

JoeyA

I grew up and all of my family is there. So is most of my wife's family. It took me 15 years to convince her to move away for a job promotion. Great people, best food on the plant IMO. Pool scene is good, Houston is better, New Orleans probably a bit in between.

Mosquitos will eat you alive, yes to flying big roaches, as mentioned you can eat nutria and just about anything else you can shoot with a gun. They don't call Louisiana sportsman's paradise for nothing. Great fishing both fresh and saltwater, and great hunting. If you like seafood you will be in heaven. And women are beautiful (I took one off the market there 27 years ago).

Job market will be pretty hard to break into there at the moment with depressed oil prices. Thousands (literally) have been laid off in the Lafayette area in the past couple of years, and the industry hasn't rebounded yet.

Thank you very much for all of the info. Sounds like a really nice area, other then the vampire insects, and the flying roaches. I just hope the crime is not too bad (like not too dangerous to walk most of the streets at night). I was never a driver, so I will either be walking, or riding the city bus. Thanks again for your helpful reply.

White Diamonds and other surrounding pool halls frequently have "charity pool events" to help locals who are down on their luck as well as Jack and Jill tournaments. New Iberia (Emerald Billiards) has one of the largest league operations in the state and they are about 20-30 minutes from Lafayette. Large pool room in the middle of a sugar cane field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-73_tXWjP8

Check out Paula Crabtree on Facebook. She is the lady in the know.

JoeyA

Thanks Joey. Sadly, I will not be able to get out to White Diamonds too often, because the city bus would only get me as far as about 1.5 miles from there (so I would be walking 3 miles round trip). Would be cool if there are some good weekly tournaments at some of the other local places that are closer into town. Thanks for the info.

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lafayette - POOL SCENE

No trip to Lafayette would be complete
without some cracklins, some boudin, and pinchin' some tails.

Now lets see what can compete with the
pool scene and the food scene !!

PLUS - world's best Chili's restaurant
is on Pinhook in Lafayette, LA.

Last edited:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No trip to Lafayette would be complete
without some cracklins, some boudin, and pinchin' some tails.

Now lets see what can compete with the
pool scene and the food scene !!

PLUS - world's best Chili's restaurant
is on Pinhook in Lafayette, LA.
Couple good places to eat in Breaux Bridge too. But I'm just a truck driver, so what do I know ??? LOL

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
White Diamond is at 6722 Johnson St. in Lafayette. The bus route surrounds that place. I'm shocked if any player can make 3 in a row because of the noise/fumes from the damn bus or the skeeters !!! (Well, the skeeters don't make much noise but when they fart it's sorta noxious) !!!

Last edited: