Recommendation of cuemaker for southwest tribute cue

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, as the title says, im thinking about the right cuemaker for my southwest project, have a couple in mind but i would like to hear some other opinions.

Cue details and specs :
6 pointer southwest
3 high n low point of juma
No veneers
Ebony forearm n buttsleeve

For those who knows, im trying to get a similar looking ebony forearm n buttsleeve with 6 ivory points ( 3 hi 3 low ) that Yang chin hsun uses when he was dominating.
I love that classic look.

My check-list requirements :
1) Un-core ebony
2) Waiting time must be less than a year
3 It must really turn out to look like a southwest
( how many times have we seen southwest tribute that do not look anything like it , the point works is really important to me )

Here are the cuemakers in my top -priority consideration.

1) Top of my list is Eddie Cohen
Point work, ring n details is 2nd to none.
However he insist on coring all his cue to maintain consistency n prevent warpage and i really respect him for sticking to his principles from our last conversation so i guess hes out.

2) 2nd on my list is Andy Gilbert
Does some really nice southwest tribute , great workmanship n reputation.
My only pet peeve is his points are usually long n thin while i prefer not too long n "thick" .
However last i heard hes not taking orders so i guess hes out too.

3) Rick Howard.

Love those jet black ebony he puts out, like andy my only pet peeve is the long n thin point work.
Reasonable turn around time .

4) Jim Pierce

Last on my list is Jim.
He puts out some really nice southwest looking from time to time but i feel the consistency from cues to cues varies, kinda like hit n misses.

So guys owning southwest looking tribute, please share with me who u wld recommend and why ?

Before i get flamed , i wld like to add im on the southwest list but 10 yrs down the road, also southwest dont do ebony cues no more.

Thanks

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you looked at Omen?

Yes yes yes !

Thank you for reminding me.

Actually Pete Omen wld be my second priority behind Esdie Cohen.

His southwest points are what i was really looking for.

Thick even points n perfect veneers.

However i think he only uses his own proprietory Omen pin which may be a problem for shafts.

Nonetheless, i think he does the best southwest looking cue until the super talented young Eddie Cohen came, even so its a tough call as i love both of their sw tribute cue evenly.

Anyone knows if Pete wld use other pin ?

Thanks

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes yes yes !

Thank you for reminding me.

Actually Pete Omen wld be my second priority behind Esdie Cohen.

His southwest points are what i was really looking for.

Thick even points n perfect veneers.

However i think he only uses his own proprietory Omen pin which may be a problem for shafts.

Nonetheless, i think he does the best southwest looking cue until the super talented young Eddie Cohen came, even so its a tough call as i love both of their sw tribute cue evenly.

Anyone knows if Pete wld use other pin ?

Thanks

You could probably contact Jeff Olney. Though I have never hit with one of Jeff's cues, I hear he makes a serious player. I believe that he does do Southwest style. The other makers that you mentioned are great names as well. Good luck.
j2

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could probably contact Jeff Olney. Though I have never hit with one of Jeff's cues, I hear he makes a serious player. I believe that he does do Southwest style. The other makers that you mentioned are great names as well. Good luck.
j2

Thank you sir.
I owned 3 of Jeff's cue.
Fit finish is 2nd to none, but getting a cue to ur specs n within a reasonable time frame is almost impossible.

Thanks for ur advise tho !

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pete Omen uses a 3/8 x 11 pin. He engraves his name on it, but it is a standard size pin. I have an SS360/2 from Seyberts that fits perfectly. I highly recommend Martin at Superior Cues, jazznpool on AZB. He is an Omen dealer.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete Omen uses a 3/8 x 11 pin. He engraves his name on it, but it is a standard size pin. I have an SS360/2 from Seyberts that fits perfectly. I highly recommend Martin at Superior Cues, jazznpool on AZB. He is an Omen dealer.

Whoa.. i never knew that.. thank you for telling me , i thought he uses a his own proprietory pin with his name engraved.

However may i ask if i can request for the ebony to be uncore and whats the approximate turnaround time ?

Thanns

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Whoa.. i never knew that.. thank you for telling me , i thought he uses a his own proprietory pin with his name engraved.

However may i ask if i can request for the ebony to be uncore and whats the approximate turnaround time ?

Thanns

Turnaround is less than 12 months as far as I know. Not sure about your request.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Un-cored ebony with a 3/8 11 brass screw?
Good luck in the weight and wait department.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Un-cored ebony with a 3/8 11 brass screw?
Good luck in the weight and wait department.

No prob with the weight.

I want my playing cues at least 20.5 oz.
I like em heavy and the way uncore.ebony hits.

If the ebony is well seasoned , can the cuemaker work in it right away ?

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
No prob with the weight.

I want my playing cues at least 20.5 oz.
I like em heavy and the way uncore.ebony hits.

If the ebony is well seasoned , can the cuemaker work in it right away ?

The lead time with Omen is about 10-12 months. I have a group of SW style cues in the works. I'm an authorized dealer longtime. I can probably lower the waiting time to about 6 months. Contact me through email if you'd like to proceed. I love Pete's SW style cues.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
j2
There are some nice Olney's on Class. sect. now.

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Southwest Tribute by Jacoby

One on the TOP! One on bottom is a Southwest and a friend of mine is taking it to Valley Forge to sell for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 479

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey Chin out of southern California think he Apprentice ship was with Eddie Choen.
Alex P ( the loin ) likes his cues as well I believe. Joey could have work out of Areil shop also.