9 foot table slightly under or over 50"x90"

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you ceck your car's tire pressure before each drive?

Seriously? Coz a 1psi difference is way more of a deviation than an inch is to a pool table.

You can be sweatin' these little things.

Keep on truckin:thumbup:

Black-Balled, this is true even though you lose the exact 2:1 ratio between length and width?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your implying that a one inch deviation on a pool table is no big deal.

I don't think any of us woul be measurably better or worse with a rail that is 1 or 2% off, really.

I don't think any of us woul be measurably better or worse with a rail that is 1 or 2% off, really.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would not sweat it. I just wouldn't buy it. Lots of good tables around.

But...

Having played on many tables, i have never been aware of one that was not an exact 2:1.

Having played on many tables, i have never been aware of one that was an exact 2:1.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would not sweat it. I just wouldn't buy it. Lots of good tables around.

Not to say that a Gold Crown or Anniversary isn't a good table, but at this point how many are around and being actively played on with original rubber?

And of those that have had the original rubber replaced, how many have had the rails recalibrated? I'd say a very small percentage.

Maybe that question is worthy of it's own thread.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if Low500, who mastered CTE Pro1 in one week, realizes that his game would go to hell if he played on that table.
I wonder if you, as a troublemaking smart aleck, realize how silly and childish your post is?
Why don't you just mind your own business where I am concerned and leave me alone. Puh---leeeeze.
Look, I found a picture of you.....enjoy.
cartoon crying little girl.png

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I do agree that in my case anyway at my skill level it's not likely to make a whole lot of difference.

The question is, will losing the exact 2:1 length/width ratio cause the table to play "funny"? I'm not looking to make it play like a Diamond, just acceptable in terms of how it played originally. In reading opinions in "Talk to a Mechanic", especially in the dustup on the subject between Trent from Toledo and Mark Gregory, the issue is no more settled than Ford vs. Chevy at a monster truck jam.

You hate to pay top price for a fully restored table only to have to drop another 3K or whatever to get Mark Gregory to come straighten it out. But then again, it's also hard to believe that all the old Gold Crowns out there have had complete rail recalibrations done when the rubber got replaced. In fact, I'm sure most have not and nobody complains about how they play so there you go.

I'm going to say this, there might be 1 out of 50 pool tables that have been worked on by others that will be an exact 50"×100", even if the rails were never worked on! I've seen a lot of GCs set up where the rails were not mounted to the castings correctly which caused the playing surface to be over or under an exact 2:1 ratio but, id be willing to bet there isn't a Pro player on this planet that can tell the difference in playability between 49 34"× 99 3/4" vs 50 1/4"× 100 1/4"....without picming up a tape measure and checking. Folks, the tables have been that way since before i ever started working on them 34 yrs ago. And when i was playing all the time, i never noticed....i just pocketed the balls!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Not one of you ppl have a clue what a slightly bigger or smaller playing surface does to a pool table, and it don't have a damn thing to do with the 2:1 ratio....LMAO

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to say this, there might be 1 out of 50 pool tables that have been worked on by others that will be an exact 50"×100", even if the rails were never worked on! I've seen a lot of GCs set up where the rails were not mounted to the castings correctly which caused the playing surface to be over or under an exact 2:1 ratio but, id be willing to bet there isn't a Pro player on this planet that can tell the difference in playability between 49 34"× 99 3/4" vs 50 1/4"× 100 1/4"....without picming up a tape measure and checking. Folks, the tables have been that way since before i ever started working on them 34 yrs ago. And when i was playing all the time, i never noticed....i just pocketed the balls!!!

Not one of you ppl have a clue what a slightly bigger or smaller playing surface does to a pool table, and it don't have a damn thing to do with the 2:1 ratio....LMAO

So Glen, I/4" to 1/2" one way or the other isn't gonna render the table unplayable then?

And if you go back with new Brunswick super speed rubber and don't recalibrate the rails am I correct that this would leave the playing surface 1/4" short each way?

By the way, would superspeed be your first choice in an application like this?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah, I have no idea why he is so stuck on such a thing.

I'd hate to be a home improvement contractor at his house.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I have no idea why he is so stuck on such a thing.

I'd hate to be a home improvement contractor at his house.

You probably could have just stopped by saying you have no idea. That seems to pretty much summarize your posts since I've been here.

What is it about you that gets you off being a smart-ass? Why not do us both a favor and let's just not post in each other's threads? Ah, never mind man, suit yourself and have at it if that's what blows up your skirt. I'll just put you on ignore.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You probably could have just stopped by saying you have no idea. That seems to pretty much summarize your posts since I've been here.

What is it about you that gets you off being a smart-ass? Why not do us both a favor and let's just not post in each other's threads? Ah, never mind man, suit yourself and have at it if that's what blows up your skirt. I'll just put you on ignore.

3 pages about an imperceptible difference that you have likely encountered hundreds of times, without being aware or impacted?

And then the gall to ask me to change for you?

Sniff a helmet. An old one.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But...

Having played on many tables, i have never been aware of one that was not an exact 2:1.

Having played on many tables, i have never been aware of one that was an exact 2:1.

Since reading this post, I got curious and measured a few tables. All Valley 7 footers. Not one of them was exactly 40x80. Several were very close and none were off by a lot. Better off dropping the tape measure and picking up your cue.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since reading this post, I got curious and measured a few tables. All Valley 7 footers. Not one of them was exactly 40x80. Several were very close and none were off by a lot. Better off dropping the tape measure and picking up your cue.

You ain't lyin, mr mojo risin.

Knock em down.