Brunswick Corner Casting clean/refinish

fritzthecat

Registered
I have a Centurion that was missing the corner castings. Picked up 4 used castings which I believe are from the Century model but I was told they should work for the Centurion. Problem is they are very dirty, especially in the textured area. I've attached a pic. Also, keep in mind that the pics are from a table assembled. My corner castings are not assembled currently. I think they are Zinc castings but not sure. Any ideas on how to get these clean?

Most of the posts on here are about the GC castings which don't have the textured areas.
corner_casting_century.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
corner_casting_century.jpg

corner_casting_century.jpg.html

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe some kind of soft scrubbing pad ? Or even magic erasier pad ?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
ez off oven cleaner. I use it to clean off the castings and aluminum skirts on Centennials/Anniversarys, then polish

fritzthecat

Registered
Ok, so the plot thickens. I was able to get a photo of the castings. Looks like the finish has flaked off. Given this new info, what are my options here?

image000000.jpg

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Find a shop that will refinish them. They could be professionally buffed and lacquered, powder coated or even chromed if that's what you want.

Here's the shop I used because they were local to me. Cost me $30 per casting to powder them. You may be able to find someplace similar near you.

http://www.superchromenj.com

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, so the plot thickens. I was able to get a photo of the castings. Looks like the finish has flaked off. Given this new info, what are my options here?

image000000.jpg

Are you sure that is the case? Those are aluminum so the only finish that could have flaked off is the anodizing and if that were the case, they wouldn't look like that. It looks like they are very, very dirty and grimy. You can try the EZ Off method as described above but that will eat through any anodizing that is left. Have you tried a degreaser like Simple Green? If you don't want to mess with it, you could take them to a local metal refinishing shop and have them buffed and powder coated clear or re-anodized.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Monkey metal.

There no metallurgical standard for pot metal. Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminium, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast.
Many components common in pot metal are susceptible to corrosion from airborne acids and other contaminants, and internal corrosion of the metal often causes decorative plating to flake off.

Rob.M

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There no metallurgical standard for pot metal. Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminium, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast.
Many components common in pot metal are susceptible to corrosion from airborne acids and other contaminants, and internal corrosion of the metal often causes decorative plating to flake off.

Rob.M

Are you sure these are pot metal? Pot metal is relatively soft and not a good choice for corner castings. I would think these would be solid aluminum.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
That's what happened to the Gold Crown IV Pocket Castings.
Corrosion from within, under the plating.
Either within the metal casting or bad surface prep.

Aluminum gets "worms" under the finish sometimes.