BCA Ignores Pro Pool and Continues to Fatten Industry Members' Pockets

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even pool's fourth estate is crying for BCA to step up to the plate and resurrect pool in AMERICA. I mean, after all, the name of the organization is Billiards Congress of AMERICA.

According to a recent Billiards Digest Publisher's article, Mike Panozzo writes: "The BCA should lead the charge to develop a national team. It's part of their mission. And it would be a lift for the sport."

And then there's this: "The BCA isn’t flush with money, but it does have upwards of $1 million in its reserves. I understand the BCA has a fiduciary responsibility to its members to keep the association alive and sound. I also believe it has a responsibility to use some of that money to grow the sport."

A million dollars? What, are you kidding me? And they can't produce a frigging professional tournament?

Like the WPA, the BCA continues to fatten the pockets of its members while ignoring the very thing they are charged with supporting, and that is professional pool. After all, the BCA is the so-called governing body of professional pool. Well, what have you done for them lately, BCA?

Industry members continue to say the BCA is there for them, but I've got news for you, Industry Members, it ain't all about you. That's not what the purpose of the organization is supposed to be.

The WPA and the BCA are a joke. Somebody needs to be held accountable for the continued pocketing of funds while professional pool is dying a slow and ugly death in the United States.

If nothing is done, I suggest nobody support the WPA and BCA with membership dues and sanctioning fees. Screw 'em!

Read more here about what can be done to promote professional pool: Battle Cry.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) I wouldn't give a dime to the professionals until they can put together a governing body that can do something worthwhile to make a pro tour.
2) I could be wrong but all the pro sports I know of good money to. The amateurs to keep the game alive and support it .. not the other way around.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) I wouldn't give a dime to the professionals until they can put together a governing body that can do something worthwhile to make a pro tour.
2) I could be wrong but all the pro sports I know of good money to. The amateurs to keep the game alive and support it .. not the other way around.

In case you did not notice, the BCA sold the amateur league. Didn't want anything to do with it. Now they've dropped professional pool. The BCA is only looking out for industry members. They should be stripped of the title as the "governing body of professional pool in North America." They have distanced themselves away from pro pool, amateur pool, leagues, social shooting. The BCA wants to help industry members only.

They should change the name of the organization to Billiard Industry of America.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
In case you did not notice, the BCA sold the amateur league. Didn't want anything to do with it. Now they've dropped professional pool. The BCA is only looking out for industry members. They should be stripped of the title as the "governing body of professional pool in North America." They have distanced themselves away from pro pool, amateur pool, leagues, social shooting. The BCA wants to help industry members only.

They should change the name of the organization to Billiard Industry of America.

Very short sighted on their part. A professional Pool Tour would do wonders for their respective businesses. Developing a program to introduce Pool as a high school sport would also be a big step in the right direction. They've wasted many years and spent way too many dollars pursuing the Olympics to no avail.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Very short sighted on their part. A professional Pool Tour would do wonders for their respective businesses. Developing a program to introduce Pool as a high school sport would also be a big step in the right direction. They've wasted many years and spent way too many dollars pursuing the Olympics to no avail.

The Olympics would be ZERO help for pool's popularity.

What a waste of resources chasing that rabbit.

I remember years ago thinking I should join the BCA and throw some money into the sport. As I researched it more, I changed my mind. It's only gotten worse since then, imho.

Competition is taking care of the problem. The whole shebang of tournaments/events/shows/streamings, etc. is taking the pool world away from centrally planned do-nothing organizations and towards who knows what. I can hardly wait!

Jeff Livingston

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick thought and comment on these posts from both JAM and Jay that I'm quite certain most members and players would agree with - we have the power to change the current state and purpose of the BCA by replacing them - and creating an organization that truly supports and promotes pool in America. With industry leaders, players and people that care to affect change.

Let's figure the way and implement it. Build it.

Every organization, idea , book and invention (to name a few) starts with a vision and a pencil. Action brings them to life.

Now - how do we (as the people) bring it to life?

~ K.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

I've been saying for years, with no top end in this sport, all you have is the bottom tier players!

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are looking to the BCA to support professional pool tournaments or players i think you are barking up the wrong tree. The BCA is a trade organization, if you look at their by-laws below, "Professional Pool Players" are not even entitled to vote, and, promoting tournaments is not on their radar.

Equipment makers can vote, Media can vote, Retailers can vote, pool room operators can vote; do you see any of them voting to spend BCA resources on putting on a pro tour? This info is from the By Laws of the organization and is available on their web site. Take a minute and read it

Article II: Purpose/ Objectives
Section 2.1
The mission of the BCA is to enhance the success of BCA members and to promote the sport of billiards.
Section 2.2
The objectives of the BCA shall be:
(1) To develop interest and participation throughout the United States in the sport of billiards and to educate those connected with or desirous of becoming affiliated with the billiard industry.
(2) To collect and disseminate statistics and information of a general economic, social and government character, analyze subjects relating thereto, and secure and present the view of the members to other organizations, the government and the public.
(3) To conduct trade promotion activities, including advertising and publicity.
(4) To work with other organizations to improve all areas of the billiard industry.
(5) To engage in any lawful activity that will enhance the efficient and economic progress of the industry and inform the public of its scope and character.

Article III: Membership
Section 3.1
There shall be four (4) categories of membership, each with its own privileges, voting rights and dues structure.

Category 1
Manufacturer/Distributor – Licensed business entity with its principle business in the manufacturing process or wholesale distribution of billiard equipment or accessories.
Billiard Media – Licensed business entity with its principle business in billiard media. However, Billiard Media members are not entitled to hold a Board of Directors position.

Category 2
Retailer – Licensed business entity with its principle business in the selling of billiard equipment or billiard accessories from an established, publicly known place of business.

Category 3
Room Operator
1. Licensed business with its principle business operating one or more establishments
where billiards are played, and
2. Licensed business with its principle business operating a billiards league or league
system.

Category 4
Affiliate – All others in four subgroups:
1. Associations, organizations, billiard media and other licensed entities actively
engaged in the billiard industry,
2. Licensed entities not engaged in the billiard industry,
3. Professional Billiard players (individuals) that earn their living from playing billiards,
giving exhibitions of billiards, or otherwise promoting the sport, and
4. Any other person or entity that the board of directors deems appropriate for
membership in the organization.

Eligibility: An entity may apply for membership in any applicable category subject to review by the Membership Committee. Questions of eligibility will be resolved by the Board of Directors.
It is the responsibility of each member entity to inform the BCA, in writing, of any change in their status or in their contact information within 30 days of the change.

Each member entity in Categories 1, 2 and 3, must designate to the Secretary of the BCA one person to be its representative at membership meetings for the purpose of acting upon business matters, being eligible for a BCA appointment, and being eligible for nominations and election to a BCA elected position.

Member entities in Category 4 do not have voting privileges and their personnel are not eligible for appointment or election.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If you are looking to the BCA to support professional pool tournaments or players i think you are barking up the wrong tree. The BCA is a trade organization, if you look at their by-laws below, "Professional Pool Players" are not even entitled to vote, and, promoting tournaments is not on their radar.

Equipment makers can vote, Media can vote, Retailers can vote, pool room operators can vote; do you see any of them voting to spend BCA resources on putting on a pro tour? This info is from the By Laws of the organization and is available on their web site. Take a minute and read it

Article II: Purpose/ Objectives
Section 2.1
The mission of the BCA is to enhance the success of BCA members and to promote the sport of billiards.
Section 2.2
The objectives of the BCA shall be:
(1) To develop interest and participation throughout the United States in the sport of billiards and to educate those connected with or desirous of becoming affiliated with the billiard industry.
(2) To collect and disseminate statistics and information of a general economic, social and government character, analyze subjects relating thereto, and secure and present the view of the members to other organizations, the government and the public.
(3) To conduct trade promotion activities, including advertising and publicity.
(4) To work with other organizations to improve all areas of the billiard industry.
(5) To engage in any lawful activity that will enhance the efficient and economic progress of the industry and inform the public of its scope and character.

Article III: Membership
Section 3.1
There shall be four (4) categories of membership, each with its own privileges, voting rights and dues structure.

Category 1
Manufacturer/Distributor – Licensed business entity with its principle business in the manufacturing process or wholesale distribution of billiard equipment or accessories.
Billiard Media – Licensed business entity with its principle business in billiard media. However, Billiard Media members are not entitled to hold a Board of Directors position.

Category 2
Retailer – Licensed business entity with its principle business in the selling of billiard equipment or billiard accessories from an established, publicly known place of business.

Category 3
Room Operator
1. Licensed business with its principle business operating one or more establishments
where billiards are played, and
2. Licensed business with its principle business operating a billiards league or league
system.

Category 4
Affiliate – All others in four subgroups:
1. Associations, organizations, billiard media and other licensed entities actively
engaged in the billiard industry,
2. Licensed entities not engaged in the billiard industry,
3. Professional Billiard players (individuals) that earn their living from playing billiards,
giving exhibitions of billiards, or otherwise promoting the sport, and
4. Any other person or entity that the board of directors deems appropriate for
membership in the organization.

Eligibility: An entity may apply for membership in any applicable category subject to review by the Membership Committee. Questions of eligibility will be resolved by the Board of Directors.
It is the responsibility of each member entity to inform the BCA, in writing, of any change in their status or in their contact information within 30 days of the change.

Each member entity in Categories 1, 2 and 3, must designate to the Secretary of the BCA one person to be its representative at membership meetings for the purpose of acting upon business matters, being eligible for a BCA appointment, and being eligible for nominations and election to a BCA elected position.

Member entities in Category 4 do not have voting privileges and their personnel are not eligible for appointment or election.

Just wondering, if the BCA has no responsibility to promote Processional Pool, then why do they charge such HIGH fees to sanction a pool tournament as BCA sanctioned....when instead if sponsoring such event, they hold their hand out and take money?

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCA has longed outlived its usefulness and does little to promote amateur/professional pool. This should pose no surprise to those of us that have been in the industry for quite some time.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Olympics would be ZERO help for pool's popularity.

What a waste of resources chasing that rabbit.

I remember years ago thinking I should join the BCA and throw some money into the sport. As I researched it more, I changed my mind. It's only gotten worse since then, imho.

Competition is taking care of the problem. The whole shebang of tournaments/events/shows/streamings, etc. is taking the pool world away from centrally planned do-nothing organizations and towards who knows what. I can hardly wait!

Jeff Livingston

West Coast Mezz tour melts in with Joss and Predator tours, and we have a national Pro Tour. The issue is several promoters without a real large revenue stream is what pro pool is now. Not something backed by a billion dollar company like RJR or even what the IPT was with it's plans for online gambling site revenue. Look at what the IPT did when it was running strong, how many players came out of retirement or even out of hiding from just playing money games to play in the tour? Sure it ended up as crap at the end, but I think that was at least 75% because of the government and changing laws for online gambling and advertising things like cigarettes and liquor.

BCA, WPA, really any pool organization only has teeth to rule because the players are playing for scraps that drop off the table so they have to play where and for who they can or need to get jobs. What the WPA is doing with prohibiting players to play is ridiculous seeing how they are not paying the players money from a contract but only what they can win. MLB may be able to dictate what the players can do, but they pay them millions of dollars a year over many years in contracts. Some 10th best hitter on a team that never wins their division will still make $500,000 a year no matter what. Now there is something that a player can agree with when they have restrictions about where and when they can play. You get paid to play in MLB on a team, you don't get paid when playing "for" the WPA, hell you don't even play FOR the WPA, you play for yourself. A 10th best player in a tournament has to cash in that tournament to make any money or just break even and they have to actually go all over the place using their own money to play in events.

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was actually just thinking about the high school sport angle the other day. When I was a freshman in high school in the mid 80's, I joined the golf team. Not because I was good, I had only swung a club a handful of times, but because some of my friends were going to join and we got to play golf for "free" (we didn't seem to take our parents paying fees into account). So twice a week after school we would load on a bus and go to the local municipal golf course and play for two hours.

That same year I got bit by the pool bug. I would beg my parents for rides to the local billiard hall (which was all ages) whenever I could and they were good sports about it, but it was no way near as convenient for them like the golf team was. The next year I got my license and I would be at that pool hall as much as I could be. We had an under 21 team as did two other places in the metro area and we would get together once a month or so and match up for team play and the pool halls would run under-21 tournaments as well. It was a great time.

There are dozens of high schools in the metro area that I live in. What if even half of those schools had a billiard team? How many kids would love to hop on a bus with their friends and go to the local pool hall and play for a couple hours a few times a week? I'm pretty sure a lot would. The biggest problem would be finding tables because there are only two places I am aware of that have any tables available for all ages now because of a drop off in youth participation. I know a lot of halls are struggling for cash. Here is an untapped market that could bring in regular income during the season in green fees and sold cues and accessories, and when events are held, would sell a lot in snacks and drinks to the people there to cheer on their teams.

If we want to build the sport back up I think a great place to start is with our youth. As it is now, at least where I live, the only kids playing the game are doing it because their parents play, and/or they have access to a table at home. If we could get billiard teams in our schools, it may be just what the sport needs to get another surge in popularity, potentially a permanent one. How to make that happen is the big question. It would be helpful if some of these organizations that are here to promote the sport would take the lead with this and work in conjunction with local folks who would be willing to participate. Most if not all school sports have some sort of sanctioning body that establishes rules and a format of play.

CSI Media

CueSports International
Silver Member
Some of you are confusing the Billiard Congress of America (BCA), which is a trade organization, with the BCA Pool Leagues (BCAPL), which is owned by CueSports International.
CueSports International owns BCAPL and USAPL in addition to organizing and promoting several professional tournaments, such as the Jay Swanson Memorial, the US Open 8-Ball, the US Open 10-Ball, the US Open One Pocket and the US Open Straight Pool Championships.
CSI has been a tireless supporter of professional pool and its players, while offering and sanctioning amateur leagues throughout North America and the world to build and grow the sport we are all passionate about. We strive to offer competitive opportunities and growth for players of all skill levels.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you are confusing the Billiard Congress of America (BCA), which is a trade organization, with the BCA Pool Leagues (BCAPL), which is owned by CueSports International.
CueSports International owns BCAPL and USAPL in addition to organizing and promoting several professional tournaments, such as the Jay Swanson Memorial, the US Open 8-Ball, the US Open 10-Ball, the US Open One Pocket and the US Open Straight Pool Championships.
CSI has been a tireless supporter of professional pool and its players, while offering and sanctioning amateur leagues throughout North America and the world to build and grow the sport we are all passionate about. We strive to offer competitive opportunities and growth for players of all skill levels.

Where is anyone in this thread confusing BCA vs BCAPL?

What does Ozzy do on the BCA board of directors?

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Where is anyone in this thread confusing BCA vs BCAPL?

What does Ozzy do on the BCA board of directors?

I've always likened the BCA to dead beat parents who want the benefits of having children but refuse to raise them :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the BCA is a trade organization. Professional pool is a trade. There is nothing stopping the Professional Players from organizing their own company and bringing their trade to the table. It is a lot of work, a lot of lobbying and politicking, and takes time. By-laws are amendable.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the BCA is a trade organization. Professional pool is a trade. There is nothing stopping the Professional Players from organizing their own company and bringing their trade to the table. It is a lot of work, a lot of lobbying and politicking, and takes time. By-laws are amendable.

Would the WPA then recognize them as the governing body of pool in North America :rolleyes:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Would the WPA then recognize them as the governing body of pool in North America :rolleyes:

When the WPBSA formed in England, they were not the governing body of snooker and
billiards....the Billiards Association and Control Council was.
They became a force in their own right...even modified some rules....which the BACC
eventually adopted.

A credible Professional Pool organization doesn't have to be the governing body.....
...but it will have to be recognized.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was actually just thinking about the high school sport angle the other day. When I was a freshman in high school in the mid 80's, I joined the golf team. Not because I was good, I had only swung a club a handful of times, but because some of my friends were going to join and we got to play golf for "free" (we didn't seem to take our parents paying fees into account). So twice a week after school we would load on a bus and go to the local municipal golf course and play for two hours.

That same year I got bit by the pool bug. I would beg my parents for rides to the local billiard hall (which was all ages) whenever I could and they were good sports about it, but it was no way near as convenient for them like the golf team was. The next year I got my license and I would be at that pool hall as much as I could be. We had an under 21 team as did two other places in the metro area and we would get together once a month or so and match up for team play and the pool halls would run under-21 tournaments as well. It was a great time.

There are dozens of high schools in the metro area that I live in. What if even half of those schools had a billiard team? How many kids would love to hop on a bus with their friends and go to the local pool hall and play for a couple hours a few times a week? I'm pretty sure a lot would. The biggest problem would be finding tables because there are only two places I am aware of that have any tables available for all ages now because of a drop off in youth participation. I know a lot of halls are struggling for cash. Here is an untapped market that could bring in regular income during the season in green fees and sold cues and accessories, and when events are held, would sell a lot in snacks and drinks to the people there to cheer on their teams.

If we want to build the sport back up I think a great place to start is with our youth. As it is now, at least where I live, the only kids playing the game are doing it because their parents play, and/or they have access to a table at home. If we could get billiard teams in our schools, it may be just what the sport needs to get another surge in popularity, potentially a permanent one. How to make that happen is the big question. It would be helpful if some of these organizations that are here to promote the sport would take the lead with this and work in conjunction with local folks who would be willing to participate. Most if not all school sports have some sort of sanctioning body that establishes rules and a format of play.

No need to go the local poolroom when one empty classroom would suffice. Two pool tables, some house cues, balls etc. and you're in action. No expensive equipment or uniforms required either. It would be the cheapest sport in the school's entire sports program to create and maintain. Best of all, kids LOVE pool! There would be no problem finding kids to play on the teams. It's a natural and the BCA has dogged it on this one for decades. In their by-laws they state as the first objective "to create interest and participation in the sport of pool." Promoting high school pool leagues fits right into this stated objective. Pretty sad when you think about the lost opportunities for pool in America.

Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the WPBSA formed in England, they were not the governing body of snooker and
billiards....the Billiards Association and Control Council was.
They became a force in their own right...even modified some rules....which the BACC
eventually adopted.

A credible Professional Pool organization doesn't have to be the governing body.....
...but it will have to be recognized.
In fact a professional organization should not be the governing body. USTA and WTA/ATP, USGA and PGA/LPGA Tour, and so on. They have different aims but each is necessary for there to be a thriving professional scene in an individual sport.