Imperial pool tables

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read these table are not good, more than once.
also read depends who installs them.
I was surprised to see how many people, including members here, sell/carry them.

so i looked at there site.
I would have expected to read alot about their construction. instead I was confused about which table were solid wood.

so I e mailed them. this is their response:
Both the Buchanan and the Lincoln consists of pine wood and
> poplar wood and considered solid wood tables, with a veneer over
> mdf covering the solid wood itself. This is done to keep a
> consistent beauty to the table as wood grain can vary and have flaws.

when I read veneer over mdf over? solid wood????? HUh. never even heard of that.
they must have made a mistake. but , no they confirmed their original description.

anyone care to comment?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Solid MDF is Solid Wood? lol

Pine?

Hardwood is not even mentioned.

"Wood grain can vary and have flaws!"

I'm getting rid of all of my wood cues and going for one of those new fangled Fiber Carbon Cues!

Or at least a Cuetec.

Attachments

• IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Solid MDF is Solid Wood.

Pine?

Hardwood is not mentioned.

"Wood grain can vary and have flaws!"

I'm getting rid of all of my wood cues and going for one of those new fangled Fiber Carbon Cues!

Or at least a Cuetec.

No, MDF is not a solid wood, it's nothing more than particle board made with finer sawdust, still falls apart the same. A 2"×4" made of pine laying in water for a week looks like a wet 2"×4" when you pick it up. A 2"×4" made of MDF laying in water looks lime a 4"×6" heavy water soaked piece of cardboard if you try picking it up.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have read these table are not good, more than once.
also read depends who installs them.
I was surprised to see how many people, including members here, sell/carry them.

so i looked at there site.
I would have expected to read alot about their construction. instead I was confused about which table were solid wood.

so I e mailed them. this is their response:
Both the Buchanan and the Lincoln consists of pine wood and
> poplar wood and considered solid wood tables, with a veneer over
> mdf covering the solid wood itself. This is done to keep a
> consistent beauty to the table as wood grain can vary and have flaws.

when I read veneer over mdf over? solid wood????? HUh. never even heard of that.
they must have made a mistake. but , no they confirmed their original description.

anyone care to comment?

If you use cheaper wood selection or just wood that is ugly or weak looking, I can see someone using a better looking veneer to cover that wood. So the table is made of that crappy solid wood with a prettier veneer on top. This is actually a bit like what Predator and OB were accused of doing when they went with a pie construction, that they can use lower grade wood to construct the shafts without the expense of better woods or time to select them. That veneer would cover up the same thing in a pool table and make it look uniform or like another type or grade of wood.

Guitars do the same thing quite often, you get a plain wood body then put a thin veneer of a fancier wood on top for looks (or to change the tone a bit like the thicker cap on a Les Paul or PRS).

Last edited: