The Hustler book - quite different from the movie

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently read the original book by Walter Tevis and highly recommend it. It's a quick and vibrant read.

Some of the major differences:

- A lot more psychological insight into what Eddie is thinking and how he grows/learns over the course of the story.
- Buildup to the initial matchup with Fats.
- Includes a full accounting of the games against the Kentucky billiard player. In the movie they cut directly from Bert agreeing to keep staking him to Findlay having lost.
- Much less melodramatic relationship between Eddie and Sarah. No rape by Bert and no suicide. (Big improvement IMO)
- It's left open to interpretation about how Eddie will respond to Bert's ultimatum that he is now his manager.

Others?

The Color of Money book is barely the same story as the movie, with no Tom Cruise character at all.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a paperback copy that came out after the movie but still the original story. I agree about the ending, much better than the movie.
I passed on a first edition hard cover at a book fair many years back because of a bit of water damage to the white jacket. BIG mistake!

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Because of the book, I've always viewed the movie as set in Chicago. Many who have not read the book and even those who have, view the movie as being set in New York. Other than "Ames", I'm not sure if there any NY references. Not that it matters where you view it's setting, it is a great movie and a great book.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Because of the book, I've always viewed the movie as set in Chicago. Many who have not read the book and even those who have, view the movie as being set in New York. Other than "Ames", I'm not sure if there any NY references. Not that it matters where you view it's setting, it is a great movie and a great book.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Yeah, Chicago was the city....Bennington's was clearly Bensinger's.
The original Bensinger's was like a multi-story palace.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Color of Money movie has s completely different story line than the novel. Unlike The Hustler, the movie is not based on the book.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently read the original book by Walter Tevis and highly recommend it. It's a quick and vibrant read.

Some of the major differences:

- A lot more psychological insight into what Eddie is thinking and how he grows/learns over the course of the story.
- Buildup to the initial matchup with Fats.
- Includes a full accounting of the games against the Kentucky billiard player. In the movie they cut directly from Bert agreeing to keep staking him to Findlay having lost.
- Much less melodramatic relationship between Eddie and Sarah. No rape by Bert and no suicide. (Big improvement IMO)
- It's left open to interpretation about how Eddie will respond to Bert's ultimatum that he is now his manager.

Others?

The Color of Money book is barely the same story as the movie, with no Tom Cruise character at all.

I don't recall any ultimatum... not even a confrontation. He buys her a diamond bracelet and they live happily ever after .

Dale

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't recall any ultimatum... not even a confrontation. He buys her a diamond bracelet and they live happily ever after .

Dale
Working from memory here since the book is back at the library, but doesn't Bert make a demand, then when Eddie doesn't bite he softens it and tries to convince Eddie to stay with him, and then Eddie leaves without saying anything one way or the other? I don't remember it being so clear-cut.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Working from memory here since the book is back at the library, but doesn't Bert make a demand, then when Eddie doesn't bite he softens it and tries to convince Eddie to stay with him, and then Eddie leaves without saying anything one way or the other? I don't remember it being so clear-cut.
Been a long time since I read the book....but I recall as Bert letting Eddie know that he
was replacing Fats...the movie ending left Eddie looking a bit better by refusing.

I will stand to be corrected.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The book the Hustler came out in 1959. However, in a 1957 Playboy magazine, Walter Tevis's story the Hustler first appeared. I have a copy of the magazine with the story.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The book the Hustler came out in 1959. However, in a 1957 Playboy magazine, Walter Tevis's story the Hustler first appeared. I have a copy of the magazine with the story.

Now there's a fabulous collector's piece!!!

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been a long time since I read the book....but I recall as Bert letting Eddie know that he
was replacing Fats...the movie ending left Eddie looking a bit better by refusing.

I will stand to be corrected.
Well, Bert is a bit of a monster in the movie. He's much more benign, almost sensei-like at times, in the book.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool, any safe for work photos?

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
OK, quick question, in the book (the Hustler), what is Fats character described as?

Is he the same as the movie, clean cut, dresses nice, speaks soflty and a gentleman?

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

so you're that one guy who bought the magazine for the article and not for the pictures :thumbup: