Who's your US Open pick?

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My pick is Souquet...super strong this year. Won his 23rd Eurotour title some days ago and is already picked for the Mosconi Cup. Still the Kaiser ;-)

Pick 2 and 3 are SvB and Joshua Filler

Ralf winning US Open would be amazing, on the other hand he was pushed to double hill in the last 32 at that Eurotour by amateur player so I guess he is not that invincible :) :grin:

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
To be honest? There's a ton of really hot players right now that I don't know; or know of I guess I should say. Sooooooo ... I'll go with SVB or Alex P. And I'll root for Efren if he's there.

wimpy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After watching these two guys play last night in the finals in North Carolina i wouldn't be surprised at all to see one of these two the next US Open champion .

I couldn't agree more, Jayson & Dennis were playing at an extremely high level.

Carolina_Giant

Perfection=Serenity
Silver Member
I'm actually pulling a major sleeper pick here, like way out of left field.

I think it might actually be David Alcaide's year. He's had some quiet but very good top finishes. He also bested Jason Shaw at the World Pool Masters this year. There are also Mosconi Cup implications on the line for Alcaide, so I think he will be highly motivated. I admit this still isn't the most likely pick, but he's having a quietly good year and could be the guy no one sees coming this time around.

Otherwise, I pretty much always pull for Shane. I saw him win his second open, and want to see him win his sixth. Heck, I'd even be happy if he won 10.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm actually pulling a major sleeper pick here, like way out of left field.

I think it might actually be David Alcaide's year. He's had some quiet but very good top finishes. He also bested Jason Shaw at the World Pool Masters this year. There are also Mosconi Cup implications on the line for Alcaide, so I think he will be highly motivated. I admit this still isn't the most likely pick, but he's having a quietly good year and could be the guy no one sees coming this time around.

Otherwise, I pretty much always pull for Shane. I saw him win his second open, and want to see him win his sixth. Heck, I'd even be happy if he won 10.
Agreed. Following that logic: Kazakis too.

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ralf winning US Open would be amazing, on the other hand he was pushed to double hill in the last 32 at that Eurotour by amateur player so I guess he is not that invincible :) :grin:

I read some comments of you, so I know that you know the european circle/tournaments/players very well. Playing the Eurotour is not so easy because of the very strong european players. Even the amateur players are strong enough to beat a pro on a good day. There are so many strong and young amateur player in europe, even the german finalist is a amateur. Yes, Ralf was almost beaten by an amateur player, but made it to the finals and won it.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read some comments of you, so I know that you know the european circle/tournaments/players very well. Playing the Eurotour is not so easy because of the very strong european players. Even the amateur players are strong enough to beat a pro on a good day. There are so many strong and young amateur player in europe, even the german finalist is a amateur. Yes, Ralf was almost beaten by an amateur player, but made it to the finals and won it.

Yes, Sebastian Ludwig is a good guy and one of the players I admire. My post was little inside joke for those in-the-know who the amateur was ;) Eurotour is tough as nails, every single match win is an achievement on its own, on the other hand you wont learn faster from your mistakes anywhere else as almost everybody will punish you HARD for even smallest of mistakes at ET ;)

Last edited:

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Sebastian Ludwig is a good guy and one of the players I admire. My post was little inside joke for those in-the-know who the amateur was ;) Eurotour is tough as nails, every single match win is an achievement on its own, on the other hand you wont learn faster from your mistakes anywhere else as almost everybody will punish you HARD for even smallest of mistakes at ET ;)

For me, that is the main reason why the european players are so dominant in the MC in the last couple of years, because of the Eurotour.

The other reason is the willing to go oversea and play the big tournaments there. Most of the US players do not travel so much to foreign countries. Most of the time you only see SvB.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, that is the main reason why the european players are so dominant in the MC in the last couple of years, because of the Eurotour.

The other reason is the willing to go oversea and play the big tournaments there. Most of the US players do not travel so much to foreign countries. Most of the time you only see SvB.

Exactly! Its basically about stepping out of your comfort zone and working hard on your weaknesses which are clearly revealed under the pressure of tough competition. Those who are willing to step up on consistent basis have the chance. Its the equivalent of military training - drill seargeants constantly yell at young cadets to raise their resistance to the stress level so they wont break under the pressure of battle conditions. Those who endure such regime will be mentally strong and the same counts for pool players - if you are exposed to tough competition on consistent basis you will get better..pure and simple :wink:

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
carlo biado or jayson shaw. i also think Alcano and Jeff de Luna are playing really good this year. with luck they could have a good shot to the finals.

QuietStorm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Ko Pin Yi continues to play like he did in round 1, then he will be the champ. His next is against Jayson Shaw, which will be the defining moment of the tournament. In my heart, I still have hope for a SVB comeback through the loser bracket. Either way, this tournament is DEEP in talent and very exciting to watch.

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

+1
nailed it in 2 lines :thumbup2:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm torn between 3: Albin, SVB or Chang.

Good choices. For me, I'm torn between SVB, JL Chang and Jayson Shaw. I'm guessing one of them wins the title.

JL Chang, who won the hot seat a year ago, is my pick.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consecutive Wins Needed to win title

As of now, those on Losers Bracket need to consecutively win at least double the number of matches of those on Winners bracket to win the title.

ONLY 6 Consecutive Wins needed (WINNERS SIDE)
Francesco Sanchez-Ruiz
Rodney
Liu Haitao
Lo Li Wen
Dang Jinghu
Naoyuki Oi
Kiamco
Alex
Mario He
Darren
Alcano
Kaci