Mitch Lawrence

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
be nice to Mitch. he's got enough class and professionalism to broadcast on ESPN to the world our beloved sport/hobby for us. for that i thank you Mr. Laurance. and i have told him that in person too.

DCP

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
smashmouth said:
just caught Ultimate Pool Party, biggest buffoon the sport has ever
seen.

With no money in pool, he's along for the ride with his wife. There are no good announcers for pool because there's no money, thats why the 'talent' in billiards is not of the quality one would see in other sports. Could you imagine someone going to college to become an American billiard announcer?

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
AZ poster Jay Helfert was an ESPN anouncer for the 2006 World Pool Championship in Manila. He was fantastic. It aired in Europe & Asia but I don't think they will air it here.

I'd like to see ESPN use him for events that are aired in the States.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I also thought the Pool Party was terrible TV, but Mitch Lawrence was not the reason.

In his capacity as WPBA announcer, Mitch's role is primarily to promote the sponsors and the venues and to coordinate the telecast with his announcing partner, generally a WPBA pro. In this capacity, his work is admirable.

Mitch is a great guy and a smart guy, and is also an enduring credit to the sport of pool.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been to probably 30 or more WPBA semis/finals. They never have to reshoot an opening because Mitch fumbled a line but his partners have about a 50/50 record. There is a reason Mitch is out there- He is no buffoon.

T

Timberly

sjm said:
I also thought the Pool Party was terrible TV, but Mitch Lawrence was not the reason.
Myself and a few others from AZ were in Baltimore when they were filming it. It was bad then and I'm sure it wasn't any better on TV. Someone posted that it was on and I didn't bother to change the channel to see it. I sat through most of it because Jerry Forsythe had me cracking up. LOL, he was much more entertaining than the program. :p

Wally in Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mitch is a pro at what he does.

As much as I like Grady I don't think he could handle the job.

There's a big difference between accu stats tapes and national tv

zcat27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wally in Cincy said:
Mitch is a pro at what he does.

As much as I like Grady I don't think he could handle the job.

There's a big difference between accu stats tapes and national tv

Definitely agree.

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mitch is not so bad, although his pool knowledge may not be that great he's actually a pretty funny guy, and has made me laugh pretty hard on more than one occasion. I think there's a guy named Mike Wilson who is pretty good though. I believe he recently did the 2006 Enjoypool.com Men's 9-Ball Championship, Semifinal----Souquet vs. Reyes.

Last edited:
yeah there is a big difference between accu stats and espn, the people on accu stats know what the f they are talking about. As bad as mitch is he is no match for wych for worst pool announcer ever award. "The balls are obeying the man with the wand." I want to take his mike and beat him with it everytime he says that.

Last edited:

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
Mike Wilson?

trueblu8 said:
I think there's a guy named Mike Wilson who is pretty good though.

I think you mean Mark Wilson? He is probably the best anouncer ESPN has at the moment. He has a great knowledge of the game, and he is also a fantastic instructor.

trueblu8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuaba said:
I think you mean Mark Wilson? He is probably the best anouncer ESPN has at the moment. He has a great knowledge of the game, and he is also a fantastic instructor.
Yeah Mark Wilson, that's him. I believe he also did The Color of Money match between Earl and Efren. Yeah I hope they keep him around if they know what's good for them. I only saw him that one time on espn, for the 2006 enjoypool.com thing.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cuaba said:
AZ poster Jay Helfert was an ESPN anouncer for the 2006 World Pool Championship in Manila. He was fantastic. It aired in Europe & Asia but I don't think they will air it here.

I'd like to see ESPN use him for events that are aired in the States.

Thanks for the compliment. There is a huge difference in the way Pool is treated and televised in Asia and Europe. Over there it is a major sport. In the USA, Pool is filler material on ESPN, and is treated like a second rate sport.

Mitch is a good guy and a pro at what he does. I have watched him work and he can do a perfect interview the first time. And he knows how to warm up the crowd as well. True, he is somewhat lacking in his knowledge of the game, but I don't think the honchos at ESPN really care.

I greatly prefer to work overseas where Pool is given top tier coverage. For example, this years WPC was shown LIVE all over Asia and Europe for SEVEN to EIGHT hours a day. For NINE days in a row! And you got to see the ENTIRE matches while they were being played. Now that's Major League coverage! Unlike ESPN, where you already know the winner of every match being shown (and it is edited to fit the time frame).

In Manila, it was clear to me that the Producer and the Director were conscious that what they were airing was important to the viewing audience (a huge audience by the way). They continually strove to make the programming interesting and exciting. All the fellow commentators I worked with were PROS at what they did.

I only wish the US audience could see these shows in their entirety (while they were happening too). You would all be glued to your TV's. I promise you. To see the best players in the world, battling on tough tables for all the marbles. I got excited both while commentating, and when I was out of the booth I still watched matches. You see I appreciate the skill it takes to play this game well. It really is the way Pool should be aired over here. Then we WOULD get good ratings.

It's a damn shame that ESPN in the USA does such a crappy job of televising the sport we love. I'm sorry I have to say this. I wish all of you could see the shows we made over there (in their entirety). I'm proud to have been a part of something good for Pool. And I want to publicly thank Jerry Forsyth for bringing me back on board. I hadn't worked a WPC match since 2000. After 9/11 I wouldn't fly for nearly three years.

This is something that needs to be said. So that you guys know that Pool is popular on television in most of the world. It is only over here that we must suffer with this second rate coverage. I personally can't stand to watch these shows. I'd much rather watch an Accu-Stat match.

Maybe if enough of you wrote to ESPN, they would wake up and show some real Pool, live, full length, with expert commentary. And yes, I agree Mark Wilson could do an excellent job if given the chance. And I'd love to be in the booth with him.

Last edited: