The Last US Open by Barry Behrman

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question I have is if Barry don't organize a U S Open 9 ball even will anybody else do it - and pay the players - or will it cease to exist?
Someone else will take over it- with much lower added money like $20K to $30K it will still attract 128 men field- it is more the prestige rather than the money. I mean if it was really about the money , many players would not be playing knowing Barry's payment record. Like the International Challenge of Champions which was quite a prestigious tourney. Used to pay $50K winner take all with invited field of 8 - recently new promoter took over the event, cut the field to 4 players and reduced winners purse to $25K. ESPN still picked up the event for telecast.
New promoters taking over event from another promoter isn't really rocket science. :D

starts OCT 25, per Barry via phone call last week. it didn't dawn on me @ the time that it overflowed into Halloween.

Maybe it is good thing for someone that it falls on Halloween cos then someone can wear mask/disguise :D

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It falls on halloween...

Someone else will take over it- with much lower added money like $20K to $30K it will still attract 128 men field- it is more the prestige rather than the money. I mean if it was really about the money , many players would not be playing knowing Barry's payment record. Like the International Challenge of Champions which was quite a prestigious tourney. Used to pay $50K winner take all with invited field of 8 - recently new promoter took over the event, cut the field to 4 players and reduced winners purse to $25K. ESPN still picked up the event for telecast.
New promoters taking over event from another promoter isn't really rocket science. :D

Maybe it is good thing for someone that it falls on Halloween cos then someone can wear mask/disguise :D

It falls on Halloween (Samhain (Sowen)) in all likelihood, because that is a hotel's lowest occupancy, most people don't travel on Halloween and Barry can get ridiculous pricing.

Jaden

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No it's not.
Listen to the latest Barry Behrman interview (by Mark) on American Billiard Radio (ABR)
on the 15th of Jan. and you will here Barry discussing the new venue.

You could say Barry described where he buried $300,000 under a huge "W", and nobody could stomach listening to that full interview.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Like the International Challenge of Champions which was quite a prestigious tourney. Used to pay $50K winner take all with invited field of 8 - recently new promoter took over the event, cut the field to 4 players and reduced winners purse to $25K. ESPN still picked up the event for telecast.
New promoters taking over event from another promoter isn't really rocket science. ...

That drop at the Challenge of Champions from 8 players to 4 and $50,000 to $25,000 prize happened under the original promoter (Matt Braun) back in 2009. He sold it to Gregg Hovey about 3 years later. No men's event was held in 2013, but it resumed in 2014 at a new location.