Taiwan TOI

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched this video and both of these guys are MONSTER players. They play 14.1 to 60 and one guy gets 1 ball and misses and the other guy runs 60 and out. Then they play a race to 6 of 9 ball and the guy who lost 14.1 runs a 4 pack before the other guy ever gets to the table.

There is ONE thing that BOTH players have in common. They both play TOI on almost every ball of every game. If you don't believe me, watch the video and see where they hit the cue ball and how it comes off the rail. They play what I called "dead ball" pool before I ever heard it called TOI, but it is the SAME thing. If you don't think CJ knows what he is talking about, then what do you think about these guys? They seem to think it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ8jlxZoMhA

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched a few 9 ball racks.

Mostly center ball stun shots.

You are right about one thing though. These guys are monster players.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched this video and both of these guys are MONSTER players. They play 14.1 to 60 and one guy gets 1 ball and misses and the other guy runs 60 and out. Then they play a race to 6 of 9 ball and the guy who lost 14.1 runs a 4 pack before the other guy ever gets to the table.

There is ONE thing that BOTH players have in common. They both play TOI on almost every ball of every game. If you don't believe me, watch the video and see where they hit the cue ball and how it comes off the rail. They play what I called "dead ball" pool before I ever heard it called TOI, but it is the SAME thing. If you don't think CJ knows what he is talking about, then what do you think about these guys? They seem to think it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ8jlxZoMhA

I only watched the 9 ball part of the video. The player that had the 4 pack used TOI on about 80% of his shots. The other player used it about a third of the time.

Two good players. I say they were at least B level pro/open players.

Best,
Mike

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The monster player you were talking about is Ko Ping Chung :), go watch some CSI invitational if you want some more of him :). I don't know TOI. But one thing I know for sure is Taiwanese player all use the same technique, 2 mains things are :
1. long follow through stroke ending with wrist acceleration and elbow drop
2. A lot, a lot, and a lot of stun shot and no spinning cue ball. They go center ball and up and down the vertical line. They can play perfectly with spin but just prefer the center ball hit.

So if the TOI is touch of inside, then NO, it's not TOI. But I believe both techniques have one thing in common, the cue ball is flowing. Flowing cue ball is the way to go, either it is touch of inside, outside or center :).

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only watched the 9 ball part of the video. The player that had the 4 pack used TOI on about 80% of his shots. The other player used it about a third of the time.

Two good players. I say they were at least B level pro/open players.

Best,
Mike

FYI, one of the two happened to beat everybody in the CSI Invitational ;)

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, one of the two happened to beat everybody in the CSI Invitational ;)

My impression was for the short amount of time I saw them play. They might have been world beaters, but the mistakes I saw formed my opinion.

Best,
Mike

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Yes, this is TOI...it's not just stun, many if not most of the shots are follow or center ball, not so much draw, unless they are needing to draw it. You can see them favor just a hair to the inside of the CB on most of their shots. The dead cue ball tells the tale. They both cue it with outside, but only when they absolutely need it to get position; otherwise, it's the good old floating CB...powerful stuff.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, this is TOI...it's not just stun, many if not most of the shots are follow or center ball, not so much draw, unless they are needing to draw it. You can see them favor just a hair to the inside of the CB on most of their shots. The dead cue ball tells the tale. They both cue it with outside, but only when they absolutely need it to get position; otherwise, it's the good old floating CB...powerful stuff.

Yes. People think this is all "stun" shots, but they always keep the tip just inside of center when they know the "stun" will touch a rail. The ball "floats" off the rail dead...there is no spin. If you hit center ball, the ball will come off the rail with "natural" English. They are "overriding" the natural by hitting a bit inside. That is why it "floats" instead of spinning as it rolls.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Interesting match, thanks for posting the link.

My knowledge of the Asian dialects is not as strong as I would like but on several occasions I thought I heard the announcers say,

どのように彼はそれをヒットでした

:p

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still wrong.

Not sure about the other guy, but Ko Ping Chung is world class all the way.

Like I said, at least B level pro for the time I watched him. A longer race, I could change my mind. I don't keep up with all the players and tournaments. You might.

I may have to watch him more. He's world class and he uses TOI.

Best,
Mike

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Now that you mentioned it, it's pretty obvious they are using it on most of their shots, which is suprising... I've never really noticed any other Taiwanese players playing that style, but I guess I never looked for it closely enough.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

My knowledge of the Asian dialects is not as strong as I would like but on several occasions I thought I heard the announcers say,

どのように彼はそれをヒットでした

You completely misunderstood....
...that was somebody dropping the silverware at the lunch counter.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

どのように彼はそれをヒットでした

That says, "^$#@(*^%$", and I think it's against the forum rules.

Best,
Mike

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Lol... actually it just says "I wonder how he hit that" in broken Japanese, although it could be a reference to the hot chick in the background.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
B level PRO player,

LOLOL
You are making yourself look silly with your limited sweeping assessment. As you yourself said you assessed based on part of match- all you can say is their this performance is B Level PRO- you were too quick to judge based on that that they are B Level PRO players

Using your limited methodology of assessment, we can deduce:

1) These 2 are B or C level players, making so many errors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CZo5nHx9As

2) This guy who lost badly blown away 1-9 in about 20 minutes is a lousy player, C player
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY1yV8PEY6s

:thumbup:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you got that right!

Still wrong.

Not sure about the other guy, but Ko Ping Chung is world class all the way.

These guys are not B level anything. The Ko brothers are both A level and the older brother Ko Pin Yi can play with anybody and has the best 10 Ball break on the planet!

8 Ball, 9 Ball 10 Ball everybody's got action with these guys.