Why has no one beat Mosconi's high run?

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
Yes there have been unconfirmed runs that may have beat him... Not my question.

Why in todays state of the game, when competition is tougher than ever... Why do we not have umpteen players capable of running 500+ balls?

Was he really that good? Table conditions? Nobody plays straight pool anymore? Etc.

Please share your thoughts. (I am using this question as a survey in my sociology class, so your answeres are greatly appreciated)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know there is an option to actually do a survey with voting buttons? It's probably the tougher equipment but who knows, maybe it's just too tough to run so many balls. I mean for the home run record it took steroids to make that happen.

nineballsafety8

Silver Member
I chose not do do a "survey" here, as I wanted to here your opinions, not just the selection of an option from a list

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Have you tried the search feature for this forum? There were some good posts on this subject from members who have insight, and no longer with us.

Last edited:

nineballsafety8

Silver Member
I can't use the search function for this... It is an assignment.

I have to pose a question, and survey the answers, and write a paper on the results.

There for, i ask for your opinions, right, wrong or indifferent

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
1) no self-respecting pro is going to play on an 8-foot table with 5-inch pockets. The distinguished members of AZBilliards would laugh them out of the pool world.

2) besting the record on a 9-foot table with 4-1/2" pockets is extremely difficult.

3) None of the pros play much straight pool. There's no money in it and they have to make a living. I doubt Mosconi played much 10-ball.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Name one player who gets paid to go around the country playing exhibition straight-pool on 8 foot tables with 5" corners all year .

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) no self-respecting pro is going to play on an 8-foot table with 5-inch pockets. The distinguished members of AZBilliards would laugh them out of the pool world.

2) besting the record on a 9-foot table with 4-1/2" pockets is extremely difficult.

3) None of the pros play much straight pool. There's no money in it and they have to make a living. I doubt Mosconi played much 10-ball.

This is about what I was thinking - besides the equipment, I'd assume it to be just a matter of diminished talent pool. I'd guess there are as many 3-400 ball runners out there now as there were guys running 8 packs in 9 ball back then.

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe it's mostly that the pros don't play as much straight pool because their financial incentive is in other games.

However there are pro players who play a lot of 14.1 and often do runs on practice tables for videos. There are 300+ runs out there on video, and there's some incentive to sell those videos. I think it's a matter of time before some of these guys realize they can make some money off a 600+ run caught on video, even on easy tables.

The fact that they haven't broken the record already, even on an easy tables speaks a lot to just how good mosconi was! He was the best at the time. That's like an efren or earl in their prime, who played exclusively straight pool.

It's not just gonna take a pro playing an easy table to beat the record, it's gonna a take an elite pro!

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Frankly I think it's because no one wants to be haunted by the ghost of Mosconi the rest of their life.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Well if Mosconi did play 10 ball, he might have a few more championships in his resume.

I think breaking the record would be an astronomical accomplishment, and there would be a benefit in the marketing of the cue, case, other items of the player...

JV

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody plays as good as Willie
probably never will

some people claim the 8 foot was tougher because the balls clog up,
too crowded

for my money Willie was the best

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
I think if there was a prize of 250K dollars for someone to run 527 balls, it would be done within a couple of years.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Almost nobody plays as fast as Mosconi. That's a good deal of the reason the record hasn't been beaten, at least officially. Most high runs are done by fast players, and they're aren't too many now. Other than Earl, and a few others, today's players would rather stall, and that brings in doubt. Then they get out of line. John Schmit comes the closest; he plays pretty quickly. I watched Babe Cranfield in the late 70s, and he played very quickly, running around the table. You have to play quickly for long runs, and that doesn't suit today's players.

And of course there is the difference in the tables. Tight pockets are in vogue now. They weren't then.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I think if there was a prize of 250K dollars for someone to run 527 balls, it would be done within a couple of years.

On an 8 foot table I don't think it would take anywhere near two years to do it if 250K was the payoff.