Ever used liquid rubbing compound on billiard balls?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
We're playing pool at a local bar while our community center is under renovation. Nice, friendly place and the pool is free (we always make sure to buy sandwiches and drink).

The problem is that the balls haven't been cleaned in at least 10 years. It's almost funny. No chips but lots of scratches and tons of dirt. I asked the bartender if I could bring in my ball cleaner/polisher (orbital auto polisher in a Home Depot bucket). He said "Sure, knock yourself out."

Anyway, I usually use Maquire's Auto Detailer for cleaning; works fine. But these balls need more TLC. Have you ever used a liquid rubbing compound to bring a shine back to neglected balls?

I've made extra pads and rims so I won't have to use the same pads and rims for rubbing compound and Maquire's.

Any suggestions, warnings, etc are appreciated.

Thanks!

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Polishing compound. Rubbing Compound is too aggressive.
Aramith Restorer is good too.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my experience, using auto products on pool balls increases the throw by a factor of two or so. If you do use rubbing compound to get the surfaces into half-way reasonable condition, I think you should also use the Aramith cleaner two or three times to remove whatever the other product does to the surface to cause high throw.

At a community center, it might not make much difference.

From the info in the other thread, it sounds like Maquire's is not a good idea.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
If they're as bad as you say they are use the Aramith Ball Restorer (not the polish).

Then run them through again with a good instant detailer or either Novus or Brillianize polish. Diamond recommends Mequiars Ultimate Quik Detailer for use with their ball machine.

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
If pool is free and I played there a lot, I'd buy a new set of balls for them. Johnnyt

Nice idea, but I don't buy things for people who aren't going to take care of them. Just too aggrevating.

Thanks for all the other suggestions too. I'll look into the Aramith Ball Restorer (darn, I placed an order with Seybert's last week with enough for free shipping!!!)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Nice idea, but I don't buy things for people who aren't going to take care of them. Just too aggrevating.

Thanks for all the other suggestions too. I'll look into the Aramith Ball Restorer (darn, I placed an order with Seybert's last week with enough for free shipping!!!)

I agree. You do have a good point there. Johnnyt

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Balls

If you are cleaning them by hand, you could try a tube of tooth paste and a piece of a old tee shirt.

Or a bottle of the Meguiar's # 9 swirl remover 2.0 it is very fine grit. and magic eraser sponge pad.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Magic Eraser dampened with alcohol for cleaning and then use an auto detailer like Lucus or Mothers. Mag's is okay too.

Works great. :)

John

liakos

Banned
In my experience, using auto products on pool balls increases the throw by a factor of two or so. If you do use rubbing compound to get the surfaces into half-way reasonable condition, I think you should also use the Aramith cleaner two or three times to remove whatever the other product does to the surface to cause high throw.

At a community center, it might not make much difference.

From the info in the other thread, it sounds like Maquire's is not a good idea.

This is why I never understood why I played good on my table and when I went to the tournements, I played like a jackass;) it's like a whole new learning curve playing anythingspin related! It took me over 2 yrs to figure it out!

The only thing I use from now on is the aramith ball cleaner, THATS IT!