GC1 rail question

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had my Gold Crown one installed this week, and I am in love with it. I decided to put it together to see how large the pockets were, and was not surprised to have 5 inch buckets. I was told that the original rubber is in great shape and is the best out there, and if I decided to tighten the pockets up I would have to install new rubber. My question is: Is the rubber on older Brunswicks really that good? I can live with the buckets, and most likely am not going to have the sub-rails modified just looking for everyones two cents

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just had my Gold Crown one installed this week, and I am in love with it. I decided to put it together to see how large the pockets were, and was not surprised to have 5 inch buckets. I was told that the original rubber is in great shape and is the best out there, and if I decided to tighten the pockets up I would have to install new rubber. My question is: Is the rubber on older Brunswicks really that good? I can live with the buckets, and most likely am not going to have the sub-rails modified just looking for everyones two cents

Here's my .10 cents worth. If you're not going to have the pockets tightened, or the sub-rails modified, what is the point of asking your question? If the cushions on your rails were the best ever, they'd be still making them today, but they're not, so....

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Here's my .10 cents worth. If you're not going to have the pockets tightened, or the sub-rails modified, what is the point of asking your question? If the cushions on your rails were the best ever, they'd be still making them today, but they're not, so....

Elementary my Dear Watson, elementary. :confused:

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as for your .10, thanks. I now understand that the monarch cushions are sub-par for playing and it would be in my best interest for me to install modern cushions and while I am at it extend the sub rails. I guess you can't trust all the mechanics out there.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's .05 cent change.

Someone can remove rail cloth and install thicker facings/shims. That will tighten the pocket but won't bank well when hit close to the shims.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here's .05 cent change.

Someone can remove rail cloth and install thicker facings/shims. That will tighten the pocket but won't bank well when hit close to the shims.

And when the pocket miters in the corner pockets are 143 and 140 tightening the pockets just makes them play worse if the pocket angles don't get corrected first.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And when the pocket miters in the corner pockets are 143 and 140 tightening the pockets just makes them play worse if the pocket angles don't get corrected first.

You get what you pay for

By the way, is that what the old corners are cut? Also are you cutting the new corners to 141.5 or something else?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You get what you pay for

By the way, is that what the old corners are cut? Also are you cutting the new corners to 141.5 or something else?

Yes, on most of the older GC's, and pocket miters are dependent on pocket size, so there's no one pocket miter that fits all pockets.