Line Up Drill - methodology?

LightsOut

Jason
Silver Member
Hello All,

I have been working on various drills at home, one of them being the simple line up. I was wondering if anyone here has a preference when going through the balls. Do you work from black to blue generally in a line or do you try to take balls out in various parts of the line during the break, leaving balls near each color as you go? I have managed some decent #'s, a high of 90, a few 70's and 80's and many 50/60's. I seem to keep getting held up around 10-12 reds when I have a few left near blue. The angles become so acute that I keep having to nudge the reds or blue and maintaining control of the table becomes a real challenge.

Here's an 81 from yesterday, point above demonstrated!
https://youtu.be/vtn0DU_f3YY

Thanks for any feedback.

acesinc1999

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top tier break, LightsOut. And beautiful room. It doesn't look to me like you need any advice, just keep at it, hit a million, and you will make the century.

But if I have to critique, you have a failure to execute at 7:35. Your position wasn't bad at all. You either made a bad decision or executed poorly on the decision you made. The previous red, you made a nice soft draw back for blue and you needed the same shot on the blue, but instead, you had more of a stun than a draw clipping the red on the end and out of position. I noticed you looked at pink, but blue was the correct decision. You either needed to execute the soft draw better (if it didn't leave on the end red (and it probably would not have), you would have had one of the other four in black pocket) or you could have rolled after blue to bump that end red toward the green pocket for next shot (of course, that would have been relying on luck of the roll which we must do sometimes). Which of those is a better decision only you could determine from your angle but soft draw is a technique that requires regular practice and is very hard to master; I am certainly not claiming that I have mastered it.

P.S. - check your PM

THE MONTREALER

THE MONTREALER
Silver Member
Top tier break, LightsOut. And beautiful room. It doesn't look to me like you need any advice, just keep at it, hit a million, and you will make the century.

But if I have to critique, you have a failure to execute at 7:35. Your position wasn't bad at all. You either made a bad decision or executed poorly on the decision you made. The previous red, you made a nice soft draw back for blue and you needed the same shot on the blue, but instead, you had more of a stun than a draw clipping the red on the end and out of position. I noticed you looked at pink, but blue was the correct decision. You either needed to execute the soft draw better (if it didn't leave on the end red (and it probably would not have), you would have had one of the other four in black pocket) or you could have rolled after blue to bump that end red toward the green pocket for next shot (of course, that would have been relying on luck of the roll which we must do sometimes). Which of those is a better decision only you could determine from your angle but soft draw is a technique that requires regular practice and is very hard to master; I am certainly not claiming that I have mastered it.

P.S. - check your PM

HI Nice run you have a nice table what kind of snooker table
do you have. The pockets seem a little loose

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Hello All,

I have been working on various drills at home, one of them being the simple line up. I was wondering if anyone here has a preference when going through the balls. Do you work from black to blue generally in a line or do you try to take balls out in various parts of the line during the break, leaving balls near each color as you go? I have managed some decent #'s, a high of 90, a few 70's and 80's and many 50/60's. I seem to keep getting held up around 10-12 reds when I have a few left near blue. The angles become so acute that I keep having to nudge the reds or blue and maintaining control of the table becomes a real challenge.

Here's an 81 from yesterday, point above demonstrated!
https://youtu.be/vtn0DU_f3YY
Thanks for any feedback.

Try to play the reds in order to get the best work out from the line up. No strategy really, just keep the cue ball under control and away from the cushions.

LightsOut

Jason
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies! In regards to the table and my room, here's a previous post
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5159538
As far as the pockets, they are not as tight as a Star tournament table but still within the template I found online from 2005/6 tournaments...measure 3.65 in but they are more forgiving with newish tournament cloth. Certainly challenging enough for a mortal like me! I wouldn't mind a hair smaller but my friend Matt from UK who comes here frequently said they are like the club tables he played on at home...