Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Cyclops balls skid more?
View Poll Results: Do the cyclops balls skid more?
Yes the cyclops balls skid more 18 33.33%
No they seem to play the same as the super aramith pro balls 36 66.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
A poll?
Old
  (#16)
Saturated Fats
AzB Silver Member
Saturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

A poll? - 07-30-2013, 11:44 AM

Do you really think a poll is the way to determine if one type of ball skids more than another?

Old
  (#17)
filluptieu
AzB Silver Member
filluptieu has a reputation beyond reputefilluptieu has a reputation beyond reputefilluptieu has a reputation beyond reputefilluptieu has a reputation beyond reputefilluptieu has a reputation beyond reputefilluptieu has a reputation beyond reputefilluptieu has a reputation beyond reputefilluptieu has a reputation beyond reputefilluptieu has a reputation beyond reputefilluptieu has a reputation beyond reputefilluptieu has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 100

07-30-2013, 12:12 PM

I think there should be a third choice that says "No they do not skid more and they play better then aramiths"

Old
  (#18)
Ponytail
...it's about consistency
Ponytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond reputePonytail has a reputation beyond repute

07-30-2013, 01:35 PM

I don't think they "skidded" more, but they did seem to react a bit different. And in less than a weeks worth of play, you could see on both cue balls and numbered balls abrasions on them.

When brand new, as in the first day with them, they played pretty well. By the middle of teams, they started playing differently. Some of the skidding could be from the abrasion marks I was seeing.

Anyone weigh a ball to see how much if any difference they were to Aramiths? Just curious.

Peace...

Old
  (#19)
bwally
AzB Silver Member
bwally has a reputation beyond reputebwally has a reputation beyond reputebwally has a reputation beyond reputebwally has a reputation beyond reputebwally has a reputation beyond reputebwally has a reputation beyond reputebwally has a reputation beyond reputebwally has a reputation beyond reputebwally has a reputation beyond reputebwally has a reputation beyond reputebwally has a reputation beyond repute

07-30-2013, 01:37 PM

I was at the BCAPL for the entire event, 12 days. During that time I only encountered 1minor skid. Although I am not a big fan of the colours I purhased a set for personal use. I took them over to a friends house who has multiple tables. We played the Cyclop balls on one table and the Aramith balls on the other. Not one skid from the Cyclop balls all nite and at least one per game from the Aramith. Also IMO you get a truer and finer cut from the Cyclop balls as well. So again, IMO performance wise the Cyclop balls are superior.

Old
  (#20)
CreeDo
Captain Fishtastic
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
07-30-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolfreek View Post
Re: Calling BS on my post

As with most message boards there are always people that will look only for fault in what you post and not honestly analyze the content and give just an opinion of what they think.
That's what I did, honestly analyzed the content and gave you my opinion.
You just didn't like the opinion

I wasn't looking to bust your balls, it's just that bit about the shadow of the logo just seemed a bit over the top.
Like maybe you were determined to find fault in the cyclop cue ball, where no fault existed.
I didn't really find anything objectionable about the rest of what you wrote, so I didn't mention it.

But actually, there is one other thing I gotta get off my chest.
I think a lot of players have a giant misconception about skid, and throw. Not specifically directed at you,
but at anyone reading about these skids.

To the best of my knowledge throw has nothing to do with the composition of the balls.
Doesn't matter if it's made of phenolic resin, ivory, stone, or steel.

Throw is a result of the friction on the ball surface. This is how Dr. Dave defines it in his articles:
Throw is the change in object ball (OB) direction due to sliding friction forces between the cue
ball (CB) and OB during impact.

So when people are talking about "This ball throws more than the other", the only way that happens
is if the ball is 'stickier' or has a rougher surface than the others. It's NOT because cyclop uses
a slightly different phenolic resin formula than aramith. If it's happening at all (and not just confirmation bias),
the first place to look is at the surface of the ball, look at the chalk (both hand chalk and cue chalk),
look at the cleaner used on the balls, look at the cleaner used on the tables. It's nothing to do
with whatever's under the surface of the ball.

Quote:
As a fellow pool player I was truly looking for what you all though about the subject and to bring a collective of information to the table, not to get in a pissing match, but thank you for the warm welcome to the community.
Welcome to the community, sorry your first exchange with people on here sucked.
I'd like to say it gets better but it pretty much doesn't. Almost anything anyone says on here
can and will be disagreed with, no matter how carefully researched or how articulate or polite you are.
You need thick skin to post here.

Old
  (#21)
Txstang1
AzB Silver Member
Txstang1 has a reputation beyond reputeTxstang1 has a reputation beyond reputeTxstang1 has a reputation beyond reputeTxstang1 has a reputation beyond reputeTxstang1 has a reputation beyond reputeTxstang1 has a reputation beyond reputeTxstang1 has a reputation beyond reputeTxstang1 has a reputation beyond reputeTxstang1 has a reputation beyond reputeTxstang1 has a reputation beyond reputeTxstang1 has a reputation beyond repute

07-30-2013, 03:19 PM

I played in the 9MOS and 8MOS and the only difference I could detect was the new colors and the balls "seemed" to stay cleaner.

Other than that , they played great. I almost bought a set for 150 the day I left but my bags were already packed up at the bellhop.

I heard they used the measles ball in the pro events because it was live streamed. Don't know if that's true, just what I heard.

Also cyclop will be coming out with a measles style cue ball in the near future, probably have 6 eyes , lol. Heard that directly from the diamond/cyclop rep.

Schon original BW1 - player
SLY Cocobolo sneaky -back up
Bludworth sneaky - back back up
Rat jump cue

Old
  (#22)
jmurphy
SWEET
jmurphy has a reputation beyond reputejmurphy has a reputation beyond reputejmurphy has a reputation beyond reputejmurphy has a reputation beyond reputejmurphy has a reputation beyond reputejmurphy has a reputation beyond reputejmurphy has a reputation beyond reputejmurphy has a reputation beyond reputejmurphy has a reputation beyond reputejmurphy has a reputation beyond reputejmurphy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-30-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaby View Post
I find myself thinking when I first saw the change in balls at the BCA NATIONALS. Could this be the problem with the sport. If you took a vote right now, which balls should be the industry standard, I'm willing to bet that these set of balls would not get a lot of votes. And the aramith balls would be a overwhelming winner. We as a industry need to start making good decisions that unite the sport, and not always thinking about that it might work, and it might not. I find myself wondering if a lot of people in this industry are not thinking clearly. What was the pro's reaction to these balls ?, or how about the amateur's ? . Cuz we all know they are the 99.9 percent of the consumers who make up the industry.
The Pros used the Missile cue ball

In the Case:
Shooting: RJ sneaky w/Jacoby Hybrid shaft
Breaking: Summit Purpleheart Break cue
Jump: Alex Brick 3 piece jump cue
Case: Custom 2X4 1960 Mason case (JB cases)

Old
  (#23)
poolfreek
AzB Bronze Member
poolfreek is on a distinguished road

08-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Not a big deal. I do have a pretty thick skin when it comes to message boards.

I would agree that throw is a result of the surface of the ball. Dirty balls play much differently than clean ones, although the mass and material makeup could have a minor affect.

What is your opinion of the way different cue balls play? Myself and almost all other players I know think the red circle seems lighter and plays that way (i.e, easier to draw, etc.) even though the weight is supposed to be the same as an standard aramith non magnetic ball, and the measle ball plays differently as well in my opinion. I think this is more than a psychological aspect. I'm not comparing any of these cue balls to the magnetic ones because the obvious weight difference.

As far as the Cyclop cue ball, I have one now and will be playing with it side by side to see the differences. Still don't like it!

Old
  (#24)
CreeDo
Captain Fishtastic
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
08-02-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolfreek View Post
Not a big deal. I do have a pretty thick skin when it comes to message boards.

I would agree that throw is a result of the surface of the ball. Dirty balls play much differently than clean ones, although the mass and material makeup could have a minor affect.

What is your opinion of the way different cue balls play? Myself and almost all other players I know think the red circle seems lighter and plays that way (i.e, easier to draw, etc.) even though the weight is supposed to be the same as an standard aramith non magnetic ball, and the measle ball plays differently as well in my opinion. I think this is more than a psychological aspect. I'm not comparing any of these cue balls to the magnetic ones because the obvious weight difference.

As far as the Cyclop cue ball, I have one now and will be playing with it side by side to see the differences. Still don't like it!
There's definitely one more factor besides weight that will affect how far the cue ball rolls,
what they call the COR I guess. I think of it as the ball's "bounciness".

Though two different cue balls feel hard as rock to the touch, one might be slightly more elastic than the other.
It was a real eye opener to me, to see just how spongy a seemingly rock-hard object can be.
http://www.gifcrap.com/g2data/albums...olf%20ball.gif

So the bouncier ball with higher COR keeps more energy.
Think it's definitely possible that a heavier ball may come off the rails with more speed
and travel further than a similar cue ball that's lighter but less bouncy.

My feeling is this mostly determines how far the balls go, and not what direction they go.
I'd be curious if Dr. Dave has tested or will test whether COR can cause balls to undercut slightly
and simulate extra throw or a skid.

measel ball
Old
  (#25)
ceodynamo
Have cue will travel
ceodynamo has a reputation beyond reputeceodynamo has a reputation beyond reputeceodynamo has a reputation beyond reputeceodynamo has a reputation beyond reputeceodynamo has a reputation beyond reputeceodynamo has a reputation beyond reputeceodynamo has a reputation beyond reputeceodynamo has a reputation beyond reputeceodynamo has a reputation beyond reputeceodynamo has a reputation beyond reputeceodynamo has a reputation beyond repute

Talking measel ball - 02-12-2014, 01:33 PM

I think the measel ball collects a ton of chalk. When I watched the TAR match between Orcollo and SVB, I saw Orcollo constantly wiping of the "measel ball" and then they cleaned the set of balls i think 2 or 3 times during each match.

Maybe players should be more concerned with making sure the cue ball is clean and making sure the other balls are clean before a match instead of blaiming the set of balls after the match.

Change is hard but it is inevitable.

*10,000 hours to become a master at anything
*Desire, Dedication, Determination

Justin Arledge, C.I.C.
good 5 speed bad 6 speed
Likes to gamble
Sullivan Insurance Agency
Ardmore Ok
580-223-2187

Shooter - Wayne Holmes
Breaker - Samsara Jumb/Break

Old
  (#26)
The Renfro
www.outsville.com

The Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond reputeThe Renfro has a reputation beyond repute

02-12-2014, 02:44 PM

We used the cyclop balls on the Accu-Stats TV table at derby.... Almost every miss is recorded for instant replay and if it was caused by a skid we show it in slow motion... Over the course of the entire derby I caught 3... Only 3 misses that were skid induced... I think in the straight pool "make it happen" event I had 5 for Oliver Ortman in 4 matches using the Aramiths..... There may have been only 4 but several of Oliver's runs were stopped by skids...

Chris

Outsville.com Ki-Tech Tips, "Great White Chalk" and Accu-Rack templates all for sale in the Store...

Outsville.com

Old
  (#27)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

02-12-2014, 03:15 PM

I believe the science guys have concluded that the most probable explanation for skid is chalk on the CB and/or OB.

In my experience several things can affect that, like the use of high adhesion chalk, dirty balls, dirty cloth, and believe it or not: dirty pockets. And the longer you play with one, some, or all dem conditions, you increase the odds of getting chalk on the balls and eventually have a chalk mark at the contact point on a shot. A softer CB surface, or older/more scuffed up CB isn't likely to help either.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#28)
Wraith
Banned
Wraith is on a distinguished road

02-12-2014, 11:04 PM

From the majority of people that have played with them. They skid less.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: