How do Jim Pierce cues hit?

iannewell59

Registered
Title says it all.. looking at a Pierce sneaky, but haven't actually spoken with anyone who has hit with one. Thanks!

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the late chime in. I used to have a bocote/bird's eye maple Pierce cue with the bowling alley shaft on it.
Since you're asking about the hit, I won't go into the good craftsmanship.
It's hard to describe because even from one maker, a cue can "feel" differently.
However, I have to say, the shaft was medium stiff. No noodle by any means, not super stiff either. Somewhere in the middle. The taper was longer than most shafts, for example the 314. This made it really feel comfortable to slide through your fingers. The vibration was good, direct to the cue. So it was easy to dose and easy to put english on the cueball. The shafts has alot of feel and you can compare the deflection the Mezz WD-700 shafts. It has a bit of deflection, not a whole lot, but it offers alot of feel in return.
Jim put an ultraskin on mine and I had to get used to it, but once I got used to it, didn't want it to wear down, ;)

SpiderJerusalem

The Brink of Apocalypse
Silver Member
Great hitting cues

Hey, just thought I would chime in as well. I have had several of Jim's cues and they all hit great. The previous poster had it right, medium stiff, not a noodle, but not like hitting with a piece of re-bar either lol!

also, jim is great to work with if you ever need any cue work or need a cue made. Hope you enjoy the cue!

Roach

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
I'm Jim's main dealer but I won't sugar coat it.

His cues play very well. Jim is a damn good player and he builds with playability first. They are all balanced just right and he doesn't core them much in the forearm and use the right combination of woods to get the balance.

There are a four shafts to choose from including standard maple (clean crisp hit), curly maple (softer hit), old growth (personal favorite solid hit) as well as bowling alley shafts (stiff and lively). I like his taper a lot.

His cues are known to play "very easy", meaning you can pick them up and learn the cue very quickly.

Jim is currently building me a set of Ebony and Asian satinwood Burl. I send Jim lots of burls so we have them in stock ready to go or just seasoning for down the road. Jim has HOARDS of wood already spun down ready to have points cut out and installed.

I design the cues with Jim or we do it together as we are trying to keep him doing what he does best, turning wood and building cues.

I do currently have three available.

A brand new premium Cocobolo sneaky, a Birdseye maple Merry Widow and a brand new tulipwood 4 point 3 veneer. $449, $499 and $799.

Thank you,

Bill Lister
Cell/text- 239.823.0408
PayPal- Billiardbills@gmail.com
www.billiardbills.com
www.facebook.com/billiardbills

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
Yes that is who he worked for in California getting started although he now resides in Idaho.

His family has/had a cabinet shop and his mother is a designer so between those two he has an eye for design and knows woodworking.

Last edited:

str8shot

Crack Em' Hard
Silver Member
Jims cues play great! Best cue in the price range IMOH i have owned a few and getting ready to start another build with him. He is a well under rated cue maker and his shafts are the nutz as far as solid maple goes. I agree with the previous posters, medium stiff hit, i always ran bowling alley shafts, ivory ferrules and an ultraskin M with no complaints!

str8shot

Crack Em' Hard
Silver Member
As a side note i think i am gonna have him make me some shafts for my pred sneaky too

Last edited:

CueMaster77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Title says it all.. looking at a Pierce sneaky, but haven't actually spoken with anyone who has hit with one. Thanks!

one of the best hit out there. Jim is also a player, so he know what he wants and most of the players looking for.

I already tried most of production cues and other custom cues like olney, lambros, schon custom etc. but my current playing cue is Jim Pierce custom cue, great playability.

Last edited:

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hit

I had one. It was absolutely gorgeous. It has a very soft hit though. I changed the tip 3 times. No improvement. Put it up for sale the next day...

Str8Strokin

I recently bought a jim pierce cue. The uktraskin tip hit like a rock of course but once i had a g2 put on it is possibly the best hitting cue ive ever played with.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
Tough one for me to answer as I have only had about two cues from Coker and it was a while ago...

They are always balanced very well and play easily. With the shaft options we can make some adjustments to suit your needs well.

Send me a message or a text or even a phone call and I can better explain.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
Being that he worked for Tom Coker, is his cue construction technique the same as Coker? Do you think hit is similar? I have a Coker cue and like the way it plays.

Tough one for me to answer as I have only had about two cues from Coker and it was a while ago...

They are always balanced very well and play easily. With the shaft options we can make some adjustments to suit your needs well.

Send me a message or a text or even a phone call and I can better explain.

Three new ones are below that I have at the moment...

Attachments

• Pierce 3 Cues 4.jpg
    Pierce 3 Cues 4.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,476
  • Pierce 3 Cues 6.jpg
    Pierce 3 Cues 6.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,691

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
I tried a Pierce cue for 3 days...It was the softest hitting cue I've ever tried.. The craftsmanship was top notch, very beautiful cue but I just don't like soft hitting cues.

Billiardbills

Billiard Bill
Silver Member
I tried a Pierce cue for 3 days...It was the softest hitting cue I've ever tried.. The craftsmanship was top notch, very beautiful cue but I just don't like soft hitting cues.

What shaft did it have? He has 4 shafts and the hit can vary from softer to nearly SW stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk