jim rempe english pool champion

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
It was a very different game from today back in the early 80's flyingjohn. No internet then either :)

I'll try to get a message to Ross McInnes or Pat the Chat and see if they can remember any details.

flyingjohn

Registered
yeah thanks. i read a small article in a book called ,On Cue The Complete Guide to Pool by mark shepherd.Which sparked my interest, so i know it was in 1985 and featured snooker players like steve davis,kirk stevens,eddie charlton,cliff thorburn, uk pool players joe barbara,andy loppas,roger blank,dave dolman,ross mcinnes and dave linton and i know it was broadcast on world of sport.and im guessing it was old english rules

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member
yeah thanks. i read a small article in a book called ,On Cue The Complete Guide to Pool by mark shepherd.Which sparked my interest, so i know it was in 1985 and featured snooker players like steve davis,kirk stevens,eddie charlton,cliff thorburn, uk pool players joe barbara,andy loppas,roger blank,dave dolman,ross mcinnes and dave linton and i know it was broadcast on world of sport.and im guessing it was old english rules

Yes it was most definitely "Old EPA Rules" (no need for a ball to contact a cushion if no ball was potted, foul shot resulted in one loss of visit, or if you prefer it described otherwise "two shots carry"). Played on standard 7' x 4' English pool style tables/balls/pocket cuts) and yes some games were live on tv Saturday afternoons. Though I personally was out of Uk most of the time back then, that much I do remember. I thought it was 1984 but could be wrong.

memikey

Never Has Been
Silver Member

Here's what my golden oldie pals dug up.....

The games were played on 8x4 Hazlegrove tables, Old E.P.A rules.

The venue was The Forum in Kentish Town, London. He used an American cue, played Maltese Joe in the final and beat him 6-5. Every frame he broke he won and every time Joe fudge broke, Joe won! When Rempe won he jumped up on the table waving the US of A flag. To a lot of boos.

Highlights were shown on a Sat on World of Sport, with 6.3 million watching, at the same time there was a newspaper article saying how a record number of viewers had watched Bristow v Whitcome (famous dart players at the time) live on tv with 3.5 million. It was his own cue, American, with the King James Crown on it with diamonds and his cue was made by Bob Meucci.

I haven't got my hands on any photos. Hope that helps. Info supplied by Pat The Chat O'Kane and Rob Hill via Marvin, a webmaster on the English 8 ball site in Uk.

Thanks Prof/VOR.

flyingjohn

Registered
awh thanks for info ,on wat cue he wasing i know he had shafts turned town for english pool but dont know if he still used a meucci ferrule .

thediamond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
awh thanks for info ,on wat cue he wasing i know he had shafts turned town for english pool but dont know if he still used a meucci ferrule .

The cue he used was his own original Meucci Ivory Crown Jewel made by Bob himself. Here is a pic of my own 70s Ivory Crown Jewel and the two shafts at the bottom with the black ferrules are the actual shafts Jim Rempe used in that tournament. They are very skinny and ideal for English 8 Ball.

Wish I knew where Jim's actual Ivory Crown Jewel was!

Si

thecardman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Childhood memories!

Rempe playing in the World English 8 Ball Championships is one of my earliest pool memories. He was the first pool player I really remember watching play. At the Straight Pool Hall of Fame induction ceremony last month, there was the usual video montage of clips and tributes and, as part of it, a couple of clips of Rempe playing English 8 Ball were shown. You can see the clips at http://youtu.be/hbo3S-HuWfU?t=1h40m39s

Sadly, because the sound was being captured through a wireless microphone, there is a serious sound lag but you will get to see Rempe play the small ball game.

Now, and I'm serious about this, does ANYONE out there have the footage of the coverage shown on World of Sport? I've been looking for it for many, many years. Please reply to this post or send me a PM if you can help. Thanks.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couldn't find the video or photo you were looking for but here is an interesting match. O'Sullivan and Davis vs. Rempe and Strickland from 1997. Both British players are using Snooker cues with ash shafts and brass ferrules. The audio is in Japanese but it is an interesting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jPGm_y9MxjU

Wedge

Great video, it's Chinese Mandarin btw. Not Japanese. I lived there for 6 years so can understand it a little.