Recent Purchase - Le Pro Tips

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will never buy a box of lepros or triangles as long as I live. Ha ha. Good luck with your new box.

Funny.
Triange is my absolute favorite tip.
Kamui, G2 all that stuff can't touch it.....not in my book.
We're all different. Makes things more interesting that way...lol

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
When I first started doing repairs for others over 10 years ago,I bought a box of Le Pro,Triangle,and Elk Masters.

I've only bought one box of Elks since my initial investment. Since then,I'm on my 3rd box of Triangles,and 5th box of Le Pro.

For a LONG time,I didn't have the problems that people had mentioned here over the years with Le Pros going bad during install. These things happened,but never with any regularity.

However,I got to my 4th box of Le Pro and had almost half of a box blow up accordion-style while cutting them down,even with optimum cutting conditions such as fresh utility blades,etc. Several other tips went bad after I handed the shafts back to their owners,and had to be replaced to keep them happy.

On the other hand,this box I am getting them from now has been VERY nice.

In fact,these tips are so hard and dense that I've replaced a couple simply because the owner said they were TOO hard.

That complaint was what I used to hear most often WAAY back in the day when Le Pro was still the dominant tip on the market.

The tip I hear that about most often these days is the WB Water Buffalo or something similar to what Schon uses on their shafts,and comes on a lot of import cues.

The newest Le Pros are quite good ;). Tommy D.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried milkduds from Az member 'pooldawg8' ? About $3 each & the absolute best tip I've ever used !!!

The milkduds I tried were from pooldawg8. Very classy gentleman but his tips weren't for me though. I think the reason why I like a soft tip is because of the sound it makes!

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Depending on the supplier it is possible the box they sent was from "Old" stock and sitting around for years???

Could be a fluke? But, hope they are from a new batch and making good tips again.

KD

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just tried some I ordered from Muellers.15mm. First one was a piece of garbage. It was falling apart just sanding the back for gluing, but I tried it anyway. Yeah, junk. Just cut it off and tried another one. It's fine, just like the old Le Pros I remember. I'll play with it a bit tonight just to see.

We'll see how the rest of the box goes. I have a feeling it's going to be lots of bad ones, but I hope not.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had LePro very hard tips on my cue for the last twenty or so years. I agree that you used to only be able to get a few keepers out of a box. Glad to see they might finally be doing a little quality checking on them.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally have always liked one pc hard tips over layered tips. Triangles, LePros, MD's, WB's. Saw Freddie's post here a few weeks back and thought I would place a order of 14mm LePro's from Atlas and Freddie was not kidding.

Night and day from the ones I had received the last few years. They all looked good. Picked one out, slapped it on my Player for testing. No disappointment. Cut excellent, nice and firm hit, spin....they even 'smell' fresh:groucho:

Thanks Freddie and the other confirming members:thumbup2:

-Kat,

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've always used LePro's, never had a problem!

This might be the strangest post in this thread. How could you possible have "always used LePro's (sic)" and "never had a problem"?

Unless "always" means only the last couple of years, and only a few tips?

Freddie <~~~ always had a problem before

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This might be the strangest post in this thread. How could you possible have "always used LePro's (sic)" and "never had a problem"?

Unless "always" means only the last couple of years, and only a few tips?

Freddie <~~~ always had a problem before

I used LePros forever and never had a problem (other than mushrooming). But that was because I paid someone else to install them, and only got the finished product. Who knows how many that guy had to throw out in the process...

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used LePros forever and never had a problem (other than mushrooming). But that was because I paid someone else to install them, and only got the finished product. Who knows how many that guy had to throw out in the process...

That makes sense. I guarantee whoever was putting on your LePro tips was throwing away many tips. Most of us don't have problems with good LePros, which is all that should ever get on a cue.

The initial post is for those of us that install tips.

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Float

Is that the only way you tell if you have good ones or bad ones is by putting them in water and see if they float or sink ? I just did this the other day and dropped about 25-30 in a bowl of water and they all sunk to the bottom like a rock, are they good or bad, Got them from atlas about a couple months ago ???????????? are they any other ways to determine if they are good ones or bad, Use to use an old r-6 schon back in the day it had old micarta ferrule and I used a lepro on it, The hit was awesome, I just had Tascarella put to old yellow Westinghouse Micarts ferrules on shafts 3,4 of a new cue Pete just sent me. I have a Zan Highbread Max on the Micarta ferrule now and the hit is not what I was expecting at all, I'm thinking it's the combination of the Micarta and a lepro that is the hit and feel I'm looking for that was like my one R-6 schon.. I guess I need to learn how to tell if I have good lepro's or bad ones, Like I said they do sink like a rock should I assume they are good, or are there other test to be able to tell for sure. ????????????????

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is that the only way you tell if you have good ones or bad ones is by putting them in water and see if they float or sink ? I just did this the other day and dropped about 25-30 in a bowl of water and they all sunk to the bottom like a rock, are they good or bad, Got them from atlas about a couple months ago ???????????? are they any other ways to determine if they are good ones or bad, Use to use an old r-6 schon back in the day it had old micarta ferrule and I used a lepro on it, The hit was awesome, I just had Tascarella put to old yellow Westinghouse Micarts ferrules on shafts 3,4 of a new cue Pete just sent me. I have a Zan Highbread Max on the Micarta ferrule now and the hit is not what I was expecting at all, I'm thinking it's the combination of the Micarta and a lepro that is the hit and feel I'm looking for that was like my one R-6 schon.. I guess I need to learn how to tell if I have good lepro's or bad ones, Like I said they do sink like a rock should I assume they are good, or are there other test to be able to tell for sure. ????????????????
The float test give an indication of its density. Normally, the more dense, the better a LePro is. If it sinks, it's at least denser than water (>1 specific gravity).

I bite them. Other people might put them on a durometer tester. Others might check the fiber alignment under a microscope.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Update on Le Pro Purchase

Just wanted to give an update, now that I've put a number of these new LePros on.

Every one of the new ones burnish lighter than my older LePros. Not sure what that will mean in the end. Lighter water buffalos, I suppose.

Freddie <~~~ all water buffalo lives matter

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 472

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I can remember back when, and , maybe not too long ago for some, when you'd be lucky to get half a box that were good. But, the ones that WERE good were very good. Held their shape and lasted well. I have one put on a shaft by Joe Blackburn in, I think, '97 or '98 and though I use it the least of the four it still holds shape and plays very well. The ones I've had that were good were better than Triangles.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, now that I've done a number of these, my success rate has been just about 50%. Honestly, that's much better than I'd expected, though nowhere near as good as Freddie's. I also noticed that most of them burnish lighter than the old ones, but some of them are dark like the old ones. Hit or miss. Doesn't bother me one way or another, though.

I did some experimenting on some of my own shafts. I had a layered tip fly off my main shaft not too long ago (the first one I can ever remember doing that, so not too bad!). I switched to my backup shaft that happened to have one of these Le Pros on it. I ended up liking it so much that I put a Le Pro on my main shaft. As another poster said, when you get a good one it's as good as anything else out there, plus no glazing problems, shape easily, great feel...

I know everyone hates them these days, but I've switched back. I just really like them best over everything else I've used, and the good ones are very firm and hold their shape well. I'm glad I tried them again.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a guy recently request a compressed triangle.
After the install and a few test hits I'm impressed all over again. Their (and Le Pro) hit or miss quality has always been an issue; hopefully the change is a trend we will continue to see.
As for the density, biting them works well but it's pretty easy to feel during the initial glue side sanding.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
who in thier right mind buys a whole box of LePro's ? :D

For years (boxes of 25) gave ya maybe 6-8 that were perfect. Mind you, the cost of a box back then was about the same amount as one high dollar layered tip of today. During my excessive playing years, I wore a tip out about every 3 months, playing 40 hours a week give or take 10 hours. But when ya got a good one, it was the real deal. It sounds like competition nowadays made the mfg UP their quality, and that's great. The great single layer tips of yesteryear were coveted and hoarded, and were often the key to winning or losing. Fats used to carry his tips for months in his pants pockets. His body sweat and frequent licking of it, would age/cure the leather ''just right''.

xplor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the time of year to put your extra tips in a Humidor. Keep them at 30% to 40% moisture.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I may have to buy some, been using milk dud's for the last few years. Got tired of bad lepro's, so started using sumo's and another red layered tip that I can't remember the name of. Stumbled upon Jeff's pressed elk masters and they reminded me of how the old lepro's played.