Who all could Skyler Woodward play even against on the big tables (in 9 ball)?

I would just like to start out by saying that I am a Skyler Woodward fan.

I think he is a great player, and he has a great attitude, and demeanor I think.

Maybe he could become a world 9 ball champion someday.

I am just curious who all you think he he at least on an even playing field with, playing 9 ball on the big tables for example?

I know that he is one of the best bar table players, but I am curious who all he would have a decent (at least 50/50% chance against, playing 9 or 10 ball on a 9 foot table)?

For example, how do you think he would do against guys like Jayson Shaw, or Mika Immonen (just to name a few examples) playing 9 ball on a 9 foot Diamond?

I understand that most like to say that the best way to tell who the better player is if it is a race to 100, but since most tournaments are a race to maybe 11 (I think), then lets just say who you think he is at least on an even playing field with in a race to 11 (or maybe a race to 15).

I am just curious on opinions about this.

By the way, I wish Skyler the best. I hope he does great in future big table events (I have not followed the stats of all of the big tournaments, so I am not even sure how well he has done in the past in big table pro events).

Thanks.

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
These guys all have the same fargo ranking as Skyler:

61.Nick VanDenBerg NED776
62.Earl Strickland USA776
63.Mario He AUT776
64.Skyler Woodward USA776
65.Jui An Hsu TWN776

These guys all have the same fargo ranking as Skyler:

61.Nick VanDenBerg NED776
62.Earl Strickland USA776
63.Mario He AUT776
64.Skyler Woodward USA776
65.Jui An Hsu TWN776

The Fargo rate uses all stats from players matches (including bar table matches), so I do not think that Fargo rate should be used to determine who all he would at least have a 50/50 chance against playing 9 ball on a 9 foot table. I am just looking for personal opinions, and I do not think that Fargo Rate can tell who the better player is on a certain size table (because it is based on games won and lost on all sorts of different size tables, including both 7 and 9 foot tables), or am I wrong about that? Those guys listed that are not American mostly play on 9 foot tables I would guess, so their Fargo Rate is 100% based on games won and lost on 9 foot tables I think.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sky won last years 2015 Texas open 9 ball championship that event is race to 9 on 9 ft Gold Grown tables :)

He doubled dipped Dennis Orcollo in the 2016 Texas open 10 ball championship finals on 9ft tables :smilewinkgrin:

And Sky almost won Texas Open 9 ball again 2 weeks ago in a super tough field he came in 2nd so he does just fine on 9ft tables :thumbup:

11990547_1112337388796351_4593531530823280704_n.jpg

Last edited:

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didnt Sky hold his own on the 9' in the Mosconi Cup last year?

He played really well in the doubles matches, except when partnered with perennial choker Deschaine, but he lost both his singles. I believe Skyler and Justin Bergman have some open challenge out about taking on all comers at doubles.

Think the only player he wouldn't play even would be SvB. Not saying he is favourite against the rest of course.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin...You should probably leave the Fargo Rate discussions to those wh actually know how it works (which you obviously do not). Try to make your points based on your personal observations and/or opinions, and leave the math to those that know how it applies to players. That way, this can carry on as another one of your silly "what if" threads. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

The Fargo rate uses all stats from players matches (including bar table matches), so I do not think that Fargo rate should be used to determine who all he would at least have a 50/50 chance against playing 9 ball on a 9 foot table. I am just looking for personal opinions, and I do not think that Fargo Rate can tell who the better player is on a certain size table (because it is based on games won and lost on all sorts of different size tables, including both 7 and 9 foot tables), or am I wrong about that? Those guys listed that are not American mostly play on 9 foot tables I would guess, so their Fargo Rate is 100% based on games won and lost on 9 foot tables I think.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grantstew...To be completely fair, Skyler played extremely well in his singles match against Albin Ouschan. It went to hill-hill; they both played several excellent safties, and Albin lucked in a tremendous kick shot, to go on to win the match. Missing that kick would likely have meant a win for Skyler.

Scott Lee

but he lost both his singles.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin...You should probably leave the Fargo Rate discussions to those wh actually know how it works (which you obviously do not). Try to make your points based on your personal observations and/or opinions, and leave the math to those that know how it applies to players. That way, this can carry on as another one of your silly "what if" threads. :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

Scott, this Def is the first time and probably the last time I agree with Justin - as does Cleary and many others. Not trying to rehash that debate as obviously no one is changing their mind.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, this Def is the first time and probably the last time I agree with Justin - as does Cleary and many others. Not trying to rehash that debate as obviously no one is changing their mind.

I agree with this. I am sure Sky would have no problem playing a long race against SVB or Dennis playing bar table 8 ball even for a large amount. Ask him if he wants to play even 9 ball or 10 ball on a 9 footer. No way he can hang with them in either game. So why would he want to play on a bar table instead of a 9 footer if the table size makes no difference?

Mike has stated that the size of the table and the game played do not matter. A person's rating is a person's rating. Quite a few people believe this is not true from personal experience.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with this. I am sure Sky would have no problem playing a long race against SVB or Dennis playing bar table 8 ball even for a large amount. Ask him if he wants to play even 9 ball or 10 ball on a 9 footer. No way he can hang with them in either game. So why would he want to play on a bar table instead of a 9 footer if the table size makes no difference?

Mike has stated that the size of the table and the game played do not matter. A person's rating is a person's rating. Quite a few people believe this is not true from personal experience.

Yup. I can sum this up quickly in a statement all SHOULA agree with. Everyone agrees a bar box IS a variable. Mike says it is acounted for in his formula and we don't think know it is.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yup. I can sum this up quickly in a statement all SHOULA agree with. Everyone agrees a bar box IS a variable. Mike says it is acounted for in his formula and we don't think know it is.

I'll add one small example mirroring what you said. No one in good conscience can say that people match up the same on big and little tables because that just isn't how it is in the real world.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think he can play with any AMERICAN except SVB, Rodney & Mike!

Agreed, Shane Van Boening, Rodney Morris and Mike Dechaine would be heavily favored in any long match on the big tables, but Skyler has a very realistic chance against any other American in a match of any length.