Three foul rule in 9 ball

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
My question; do the three fouls have to occur one after another on your next shot or can you pocket a few balls and then play another safety hoping for another foul? The opponent would still be getting 3 fouls on 3 turns. ??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My question; do the three fouls have to occur one after another on your next shot or can you pocket a few balls and then play another safety hoping for another foul? The opponent would still be getting 3 fouls on 3 turns. ??
3 consecutive fouls by your opponent. You have to notify him/her when they're on "2" otherwise they are negated. Not sure what you are asking in your post. If, say, they're on "1" and you shoot at your hole that negates the foul. The fouls have to be one after the other. This is how i/we have always played 3-foul.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
3 consecutive fouls by your opponent. You have to notify him/her when they're on "2" otherwise they are negated. Not sure what you are asking in your post. If, say, they're on "1" and you shoot at your hole that negates the foul. The fouls have to be one after the other. This is how i/we have always played 3-foul.

Okay, I thought that was it but wasn't sure. So, if they foul, you must immediately put a safety on them at your next turn, then if they foul again, announce they are on "two fouls" and then shoot another safety. I just did not see what stopped one from pocketing a few balls and then putting another safety on them for the second and third fouls.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, I thought that was it but wasn't sure. So, if they foul, you must immediately put a safety on them at your next turn, then if they foul again, announce they are on "two fouls" and then shoot another safety. I just did not see what stopped one from pocketing a few balls and then putting another safety on them for the second and third fouls.

You don't have to play a safe on your next shot. It's THEIR next shot that has to be a no hit, you can make all the balls you want before you play safe again. In the same game of course, you can't get them on 2 fouls, run 3 racks then foul them again for another loss LOL.

And you don't tell them they are on two fouls before you make your shot, you have to tell them they are on two when they go up to shoot. You don't go "you are on two" then play a safe and walk away. You play the safe, then you tell the opponent they are on two. The rule us, you need to tell them they are on two after your shot and before theirs. If you fail to do so, they are still on two even if they don't hit the ball again. It's a rule, but people get mad if you use it against them LOL. I have seen many arguments over it, but, it's the rule.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't have to play a safe on your next shot. It's THEIR next shot that has to be a no hit, you can make all the balls you want before you play safe again. In the same game of course, you can't get them on 2 fouls, run 3 racks then foul them again for another loss LOL.

And you don't tell them they are on two fouls before you make your shot, you have to tell them they are on two when they go up to shoot. You don't go "you are on two" then play a safe and walk away. You play the safe, then you tell the opponent they are on two. The rule us, you need to tell them they are on two after your shot and before theirs. If you fail to do so, they are still on two even if they don't hit the ball again. It's a rule, but people get mad if you use it against them LOL. I have seen many arguments over it, but, it's the rule.
I've seen it played this way and the way i described. Is one THE official version?

JC

Coos Cues
What hang the 9 said is in fact the official rules.

Also be sure to tell them when they are on 1 prior to them shooting to set up telling them they are on 2 later. Memories are remarkably short in the heat of battle and calling out 1 prevents some arguments when you get to 2.

JC

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
What hang the 9 said is in fact the official rules.

Also be sure to tell them when they are on 1 prior to them shooting to set up telling them they are on 2 later. Memories are remarkably short in the heat of battle and calling out 1 prevents some arguments when you get to 2.

JC

Great! Thanks to all for clearing that up.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen it played this way and the way i described. Is one THE official version?

In real rules it does not matter at what point you get the person on te 2nd or 3rd foul, he can foul on the 1, you can run out to the 8 ball then save him 2 times and it's a win.

The other way is likely being played by people that did not understand the rules or were taught by someone that did not.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only tell your opponent that they are on two fouls before they shoot, make sure they acknowledge that you told them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In real rules it does not matter at what point you get the person on te 2nd or 3rd foul, he can foul on the 1, you can run out to the 8 ball then save him 2 times and it's a win.

The other way is likely being played by people that did not understand the rules or were taught by someone that did not.
Nice dig, a^*hole. I was just asking a question you righteous a*^.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice dig, a^*hole. I was just asking a question you righteous a*^.

Too much drinking before reading? If you saw it played the wrong way, those people where not taught the real rules, same way that many players play by odd rules in bar 8 ball where no two shots seem to follow the same rules LOL

slim123

Clarification: Every time they foul, you have to remind them, which foul they are on before they shoot, if you don't it stays the same as it was before they took their last shot