Never going to another Super Billiards Expo.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I nearly lost mine. I saw a badge sitting in the ground but thought it was a friends. Picked it and it was mine. I had it pinned to my towel but the pin was kind of flimsy so it got knocked off. I stuck it in my case after that, didn’t want to lose it.

I feel for the OP but I also understand why they have that rule. I’m thinking the OP is probably an honest person who would never think about scamming the event so it’s hard for him to digest. Unfortunately the promoters have probably been burned enough over the years that they feel the need to enforce this policy.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Paid a lot of money to play in multiple events. Like I do every year.
Stood in a brutal line for over an hour to get my player badge, only to be told it didn't print and to come back later. When I did go back it still had not printed so they gave me a big hand written substitute.
Spent a lot of money at the booths and concessions, like I do every year.
By Saturday I was out of the events and took my family there to go through the booths shopping for goodies for my home room, meet and greet some pros and hopefully play some on the challenge tables.
But after driving all the way there with my family, in a different car, I realized I did not have my big hand written player badge with me. I wanted to pay to get my family in, but I refused to pay to get myself back in. I had my emailed receipt from them for the events I had paid to play in. And I had my ID to prove I was that guy. One of the guys at the door even recognized me. But they refused to let me in. Amazingly greedy!
I have never been anything but nice to all the people there. I spend hundreds of dollars there every year. I do a lot on social media to promote the events in a positive way.
I had cash in hand to pay to get my family in. I could prove that I was already paid.
But they wanted that extra entry fee out of me so bad that they were willing to watch us turn around and walk out.
I may be over reacting but I'm pissed. No more Billiards Expos for me. Ever.
I will never spend another nickle of my hard earned money, or waste another minute of my valuable time on one of his events.
Greed ruined them. They are only focused on the cash and completely lost touch with what is truly good for the sport, what is best for their vendors who invested a lot of money to be in there, and what is good for the remaining fans who love the sport.
Will they let you in if you take a picture of your badge on your smart phone? I know the airlines let you in with your boarding pass on your I phone. Guess it depends on the "greed quotient".

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
cash grab always

Name me ONE tournament of this size better run than SBE. Prize money is excellent for an AMATEUR event and ALWAYS paid out immediately. Didn't win one event but left with $1950. Allen gives the pool players on the east coast an opportunity to play tournament pool at nearly every level. Where is there a better selection of vendors? Cue makers galore. Yep, Allen makes money doing it. Wish he made twice as much so he'd also do one on the left coast. If YOU can do a better job, please, please step up and show us how it might be done better!!!

Lyn

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Will they let you in if you take a picture of your badge on your smart phone? I know the airlines let you in with your boarding pass on your I phone. Guess it depends on the "greed quotient".

No, because most of these guys would give them to their friends and use the picture for themselves.

Its completely understandable why this happens, and it's not just pool players that do things like that - hell, I bet if you went to a paid entry church event only about half the people would end up paying lol.
Jason<-----not much faith left in his fellow man

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Name me ONE tournament of this size better run than SBE. Prize money is excellent for an AMATEUR event and ALWAYS paid out immediately. Didn't win one event but left with $1950. Allen gives the pool players on the east coast an opportunity to play tournament pool at nearly every level. Where is there a better selection of vendors? Cue makers galore. Yep, Allen makes money doing it. Wish he made twice as much so he'd also do one on the left coast. If YOU can do a better job, please, please step up and show us how it might be done better!!!

Lyn
Tend to agree with this. A lot of whining going on. And the badge thing, GET OVER IT. AH has done a lot for east coast pool over the years and i hope he continues to do so.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lyn

Well said Cardiac Kid! / Nobody will name one because they can't.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I nearly lost mine. I saw a badge sitting in the ground but thought it was a friends. Picked it and it was mine. I had it pinned to my towel but the pin was kind of flimsy so it got knocked off. I stuck it in my case after that, didn’t want to lose it.

I feel for the OP but I also understand why they have that rule. I’m thinking the OP is probably an honest person who would never think about scamming the event so it’s hard for him to digest. Unfortunately the promoters have probably been burned enough over the years that they feel the need to enforce this policy.

I bought one things so it can hang around your nick for $5 for just that reason lol

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lyn

Absolutly!

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tend to agree with this. A lot of whining going on. And the badge thing, GET OVER IT. AH has done a lot for east coast pool over the years and i hope he continues to do so.

I agree 100 % and let's put this in perspective for any of those that don't already know ---- $20 stinkin bucks lololol!!!!! Yup, $20 bucks is all that is in question here that folks are crying over! That's nearly just a couple good coffees, 10 mega millions or power ball tickets etc ( just trying to relate it to the things we spend money on every day and don't think twice about it much less ***** about it lol ).

Ps- that $20 bucks is for when someone goofed and left / lost their badge. I would be elated if any / all my goofs only cost me $20 !!!! Lolol&#55357;&#56842;

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree 100 % and let's put this in perspective for any of those that don't already know ---- $20 stinkin bucks lololol!!!!! Yup, $20 bucks is all that is in question here that folks are crying over! That's nearly just a couple good coffees, 10 mega millions or power ball tickets etc ( just trying to relate it to the things we spend money on every day and don't think twice about it much less ***** about it lol ).

Ps- that $20 bucks is for when someone goofed and left / lost their badge. I would be elated if any / all my goofs only cost me $20 !!!! Lolol��

Can I hold a 20? :)

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be annoyed with myself..then paid it. Forgetfulness has cost me more then that in my life time thats for sure. Lol

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would be annoyed with myself..then paid it. Forgetfulness has cost me more then that in my life time thats for sure. Lol

That's what my buddy did. It was a cheap $20 lesson, but he remembered the pass from then on.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I feel your pain but -- no ticket (badge), no entry -- is life in the real world.

The problem is you blew it and that is not the venue's problem. Particularly if the venue entry was as swamped as you describe. If they try and make an exception for you, they have to do it for the next guy with a problem and it becomes a nightmare. I suppose at a small event, provisions could be made but rules are and should be rules.

Here in Missouri they hold an annual state championship, with the proviso that you must show a valid MO ID when you show up. One year a very well known MO cue maker and former room owner forgot his license. *Everyone* knew this guy and all were willing to vouch for him but the tournament officials said: the rules are the rules and if we make an exception for one guy, we are looking at an endless line of guys also wanting their exception.

Lou Figueroa

Any business that can't adapt to such a customer's needs has a bad culture and will be harmed by it. Stephen Covey speak of this mindset often. Business is about serving the customer, not about strict rule following that reduces the customer's experience.

If that was me, good-bye forever. The OP has a valid point.

Jeff Livingston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A relatively simple solution to some of this is to require everyone (except the pro players while playing) to display their badges at all times. Anyone with no badge gets walked to the door.

It's easy enough for one buddy to carry five badges out to the parking lot and meet the rest of his friends.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any business that can't adapt to such a customer's needs has a bad culture and will be harmed by it. Stephen Covey speak of this mindset often. Business is about serving the customer, not about strict rule following that reduces the customer's experience.

If that was me, good-bye forever. The OP has a valid point.

Jeff Livingston

Because you have the mind set that business can afford to get ripped off by people and survive ...and then scratch your head when they go out of business and don’t understand why. Believe me I see it every day..for some reason if your a business people don’t consider it stealing when they demand you give them money or product for free and if it’s their fault. It is stealing..

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
cash grab always

LOL.

Entry to the Amateur Open is 100 bucks and includes your entry to the show for all 4 days.

Entry to some of the other events are cheaper then that and still include your entry to the show for all 4 days.

Entry to the show is 20 bucks a day.

So there are literally thousands of people getting in for all 4 days for just 20 bucks, or even nothing at all since it is included with their entry.

Name another pool tournament, pro or amateur that pays 9 to 1 on the money for cashing.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Because you have the mind set that business can afford to get ripped off by people and survive ...and then scratch your head when they go out of business and don’t understand why. Believe me I see it every day..for some reason if your a business people don’t consider it stealing when they demand you give them money or product for free and if it’s their fault. It is stealing..

Nothing was to be given free.

It was about serving a paying customer who proved he had paid but was turned away (!!!) because he didn't follow an exact rule that was meant to keep out the bums, etc. But he had proved he wasn't such a bum, so why NOT let him in and keep him happy.

This thread is but one example of the damage done to the business model. If the owners want that damage, they can stick to their rules and have more of it.

I've been in business for over 36 years now and I know about customer relations and how to ruin those by anal thinking. I made such mistakes and learned from those.

Jeff Livingston

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I've been in business for over 36 years now and I know about customer relations and how to ruin those by anal thinking. I made such mistakes and learned from those.

Jeff Livingston
I have no clue what you do but with being in business that long I'm going to assume (and possibly make an ass out of myself) that you were not in the Pool industry.

So how many customers a day did you get trying to get something for nothing from you on a daily basis? Because it is probably upward of 100 at the doors to the expo (or anything other pool event) on any given day.