Have you competed against a touring pro?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1964 I played an exhibition match against Willie Mosconi.
He turned in a world class performance as a straight pool player.
I turned in a world class performance as a rack boy.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I played in a number of tournaments at HardTimes in Bellflower, CA, from around 2001-2007, and some other SoCal rooms. Over those years I managed at one time or another to beat pretty much all the top dogs who were regulars: Morro, Ernesto, Oscar, Bernardo Chavez, Lorry DeLeon, Danny Petralba, Brian Parks, Dave Hemmah, Max Eberle, Francisco Galindo, Tang Hoa, and Victor Castro, to name a few.

For some small cash I beat Johhny Kang, Sydney Messiah, and Scotty Morgan. I also beat Danny Medina in Denver in 2003.

I once got Jose Parica on 3 fouls in a match I lost 9-6 at Shooter's in Riverside, CA, and I once beat Efren 5-4 for $50.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I have played a few pros, but haven't beaten any yet. I just don't play enough.

A few years ago I put a 4 pack on Joey Gray in the 9 ball at DCC, but lost 7-5. Funnily enough, he played my son this year, saw his last name and asked my son, "You're not related to Russ Chewning, are you?" I laughed and said, "That's me!" He laughed as well, and we had a nice reminiscing over the match from a few years back. It was cool that such a strong player actually remembered me, a hack who plays a tournament something like once every two years.

This year, I played Scott Frost in the One Pocket and was leading him 5-0, 6-0 in the first two games and lost, due to extreme lack of practice. I shortstroked the hell out of the critical shot in both games.

I live in Germany now, and focused on fitness over actual practice this year before DCC. I am getting up into my mid forties, and not really sure if I am gonna continue trying to compete, unless I can get back to the U.S. and get a table in my home again. I may give it one more try next year if I can drop at least 50 pounds and get enough practice.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played Jon Kuchero in a 9-ball tourney many years ago, he beat me 9-0 and played perfect. The best anyone has ever played against me. On the losers side I played Efren who also beat me 9-0, but he didn't play as perfect as Jon did (but still played awesome). After my match w/Efren I stayed in the players chair because there was a great match going on next to our table - Jay Helfert, the tourney director, came up to me to remind me that my match was over. LOL It was pretty funny.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ronnie Allen at one pocket in a local weekly, 3-2, about 1983.
David Howard 11-8 at the Sands Reno 9-ball tournament in 1988.
SVB 125-66 in the US Open Straight Pool in 2016.

Do I get some kind of longevity award?:p How about the all-around?

I'm told I beat Denny Searcy in a nine ball tournament, but I don't remember it. That might have been in the 1960s. :wink:

I have played and lost to in tournaments: Steve Mizerak, Allen Hopkins, Dallas West, Earl Strickland, Thorsten Hohmann, Radoslaw Babica, Bob Vanover, Dennis Orcullo, Darren Appleton, Mika Immonen, Robert Byrne, Carlo Biado, Oscar Dominguez, and others to onerous to mention.

I've also played non-competition games against Jimmy Caras, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe, Torbjorn Blomdahl (straight pool, one pocket and 3-cushion) and Ronnie O'Sullivan at eight ball. Ronnie doesn't play eight ball so badly. I also played Robby Foldvari English Billiards.

Last edited:

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played in tournaments and gambled at pool for 65 years, still do. While I have occasionally won against top pros in rotation games and one pocket, I have lost to players many times that should not have won.

This is why I got a job in 1960 after some 17 year old kid named Ritchie Florence busted me.:grin:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a number of tournaments at HardTimes in Bellflower, CA, from around 2001-2007, and some other SoCal rooms. Over those years I managed at one time or another to beat pretty much all the top dogs who were regulars: Morro, Ernesto, Oscar, Bernardo Chavez, Lorry DeLeon, Danny Petralba, Brian Parks, Dave Hemmah, Max Eberle, Francisco Galindo, Tang Hoa, and Victor Castro, to name a few.

For some small cash I beat Johhny Kang, Sydney Messiah, and Scotty Morgan. I also beat Danny Medina in Denver in 2003.

I once got Jose Parica on 3 fouls in a match I lost 9-6 at Shooter's in Riverside, CA, and I once beat Efren 5-4 for $50.

SHHHHH about Brian Parks, don't you know he's a lowly amateur? You'll kill his APA action.

9_Ball_King

Respect The Game!
Silver Member
I've had a few moments......

Pro players play all types of events.

who have you beaten in a tournament?

Were you surprised by their level of play?

*I beat Gabe Owen in the Space City Open 9-6 playing 9Ball on 8ft tables. I was up 8-3 and won 9-6.
*I beat James Davis Jr. 7-6 playing 9Ball on 8ft tables.
*I beat James Davis Jr. 6-3 playing 8Ball on Diamond Bar Boxes.
*I lost to James Davis Jr. 7-9 at Texas Open 9Ball Championship on 9ft tables.
*I beat Ruben Bautista of Mexico 7-6 at Space City Open (9ball on 8ft tables).
*I beat Mike Alonzo (2010 BCA Singles Champion) 7-6 playing 9Ball on 8ft tables (2 different times).
*I beat Kevin Cheng in a short race to 2 in a little local 8Ball tournament (Valley 7ft tables).
*I beat Doug Young of Texas 4-3 playing 8Ball on 8ft tables. Also beat him playing in a local bar tournament race to 2 on Valley 8 ft tables on two different occasions.
*I beat Manny Chau more than once also in a local bar tournament race to 2 8ball on 7ft Valley tables.
*I lost to Mike Delawder 7-9 after being up 7-6 in Houston Open 9Ball played on 8ft tables.
*I lost to Ronnie Wiseman 5-9 in Houston Open 9Ball played on 8ft tables. Score was tied 5-5 and I dogged it.
*I lost to Gary Nolan (aka Bushwhacker) at Super Billiards Expo 9ball on 7ft Diamonds. Best 2 out of 3 sets races to 5 (5-3, 4-5, 3-5).
*I lost to Charlie Bryant (Hillbilly) 7-1 in Space City Open. He knows that magic rack so well and I always seem to 'super-dog-it' against him for some reason.
*I lost to Joey Gray 5-9 in Space City Open.
*I lost to Tommy Tokoph 4-9 in Space City Open.

I'm almost 60 now and all these matches have taken place over the last 6 years or so when I moved to Houston, TX from Pittsburgh, PA.

I'm not done yet hopefully.

poolwhiz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks garczar and westcoast. Not really a great player just played tournaments real good. Like I said a good short-stop player. Just had a lot of confidence in my play. Not a very good gambler though. Built up my confidance when I beat Buddy. I could play him a hundred more times with-out winning.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie Allen at one pocket in a local weekly, 3-2, about 1983.
David Howard 11-8 at the Sands Reno 9-ball tournament in 1988.
SVB 125-66 in the US Open Straight Pool in 2016.

Do I get some kind of longevity award?:p How about the all-around?

I'm told I beat Denny Searcy in a nine ball tournament, but I don't remember it. That might have been in the 1960s. :wink:

I have played and lost to in tournaments: Steve Mizerak, Allen Hopkins, Dallas West, Earl Strickland, Thorsten Hohmann, Radoslaw Babica, Bob Vanover, Dennis Orcullo, Darren Appleton, Mika Immonen, Robert Byrne, Carlo Biado, Oscar Dominguez, and others to onerous to mention.

I've also played non-competition games against Jimmy Caras, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe, Torbjorn Blomdahl (straight pool, one pocket and 3-cushion) and Ronnie O'Sullivan at eight ball. Ronnie doesn't play eight ball so badly. I also played Robby Foldvari English Billiards.

You played Jimmy Caras and i played Willie Mosconi.
We are a couple of old Dinosaurs.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro players play all types of events.

who have you beaten in a tournament?

Were you surprised by their level of play?

Have played *a lot* of them.

Off the top o' me head I can think of beating Larry Nevel, Ike Runnels, Mark Jarvis, Mark Wilson, Piggy Banks, and a few guys just under that speed.

Also got to play Frank McGowan in a 14.1 exhibition match, many moons ago. I lost but did run a 48. You can read about it here: http://untoldstoriesbilliardshistory.blogspot.com/2010/09/rip-frank-mcgown-new-york-pool-legend.html

Lou Figueroa

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have never really had the chance to play a pro. I have been around the game for many years and until I met sjm I had not even met a pro. Stu introduced me to over 7,000 pros in a few days;)

I have played Measureman many, many times and he has played a few famous players...so I have that going.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to play against Cj Wiley if that counts as he was not touring at the time. It was fun watching ball after ball fall in the pockets as I set Big Eyed and did get to rack them for him. It would have been cool to make a shot but he just kept running out rack after rack. But then I guess that is why the are Professionals lol .

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Adapted from a previous post of mine.

Men pros I’ve Played Pool With
Mike Sigel
Pat Fleming
Pete Margo
Mika Immonen
Tony Robles
Larry Lisciotti
Jack Colavita
Irving Crane
Jeff Carter
Darren Appleton
Thorsten Hohmann
Billy Incardona
Max Eberle
Mike Dechaine
Hunter Lombardo
Steve Knight
George “Ginky” SanSouci
… and so many others

Women pros I’ve Played Pool With
Jean Balukas
Jeanette Lee
Jennifer Barretta
Allison Fisher
Gerda Hofstatter
Vivian Villareal
Nesli O’Hare
Emily Duddy
Helena Thornfeldt
… and so many others

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
My claim to fame: I played Mika once, 9-ball race to 5. I broke and ran 4 racks, then missed an easy shot in the middle of the 5th rack. He smiled and ran 5 and out. Guess I scared him... :)

pj
chgo

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A dozen or so top ranked 132 Snooker pros. However only a couple who were still on the circuit. Can maintain my dignity but unlikely to win a game if they concentrate. I have in a couple games but I’m doing my best and they they are just enjoying themselves and taking unnecessary risks. Usually when they find out Im a palaeontologist, the talk switches to fossils, etc,

A ‘touring pro’ in American pool is a vague concept. I’ve played a few top notch players and rarely win but did ok. But never in competition. Unlike in the USA, Top players in my part of Canada have day jobs and don’t just leave their job as a dentist, construction worker, in the oilpatch or whatever to play pool other than maybe once a year. They have families.

The difference with Playing Snooker pros is the size of the UK. When I lived in the UK everything was ‘close’ and pros were often at local snooker clubs.

Last edited:

Terry Aeschliman

Terry Aeschliman
Gold Member
Silver Member
pro players

I'm 76 years old. 2 years ago I played Dennis Hatch and Billy Thorpe back to back in the Banks at DCC. I played very well against Dennis, lost 3-2. Against Billy, I won the break, broke dry and did not get out of my seat except to shake his hand. Brutal!!

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played Dan Harriman and won in the state 9-ball tournament,race to 6. He was about 12-13 but still played great already.
Played and eat Justin Bergman couple of years ago at handicap event. He went to 16,i went to 8, got him 8-14 but we traded racks first ten games also it was alternate break but still a big thrill.