Ivory? Cue ball

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was in an antique store today and found this. Ivory? It looks like it but it is in fantastic condition. What do you think?
2adeddb1267dd26554ab067cf4037fef.jpg
bcaf9f357215e2742462c8ea1f45b70d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I guess it could be ivory, as I see the nerve spot and the fine grain, though I don't see the more broad grain, usually in ivory cue balls.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Where the nerve spot is, the grain should be very broad, not finely checked. This does not look like the case here, though photos are often hard to judge.

All the best,
WW

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it could be ivory, as I see the nerve spot and the fine grain, though I don't see the more broad grain, usually in ivory cue balls.

All the best,
WW
Broad grain can be seen a bit better in the first picture. The condition of it does not make it pronounced.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That "grain" pattern looks man made to me. Nature is not that perfect and uniform.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Here are some with the flash turned on. That shows the broad grain better.

I'm sorry, but that is not broad ivory grain at all. I understand your desire to have something valuable, but this, in my opinion, is not an ivory cue ball. For reference, here is a picture of an ivory cue ball. At the farthest from the nerve, the grain almost becomes imperceptable. Yours is not the same. No harm intended, but if there's any doubt, take it too a cue maker or cue repairman, and ask him. I think you'll get the same answer.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Ivory Cue Ball.jpg
    Ivory Cue Ball.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,338

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry, but that is not broad ivory grain at all. I understand your desire to have something valuable, but this, in my opinion, is not an ivory cue ball. For reference, here is a picture of an ivory cue ball. At the farthest from the nerve, the grain almost becomes imperceptable. Yours is not the same. No harm intended, but if there's any doubt, take it too a cue maker or cue repairman, and ask him. I think you'll get the same answer.

All the best,
WW
If you are talking about a grain that looks like rings on a tree when you cut it down. They are there and center on what you called the nerve spot. I cannot get a good picture of them with my phone. And yes I do have a desire to have something valuable .

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If you are talking about a grain that looks like rings on a tree when you cut it down. They are there and center on what you called the nerve spot. I cannot get a good picture of them with my phone. And yes I do have a desire to have something valuable QUOTE]

Not like rings on a tree at all. Ivory grain gets much more faint near the nerve.

Just for your information, the last retailer to turn and sell ivory cue balls was A.E. Schmidt in the early 80s or late 70s. I've owned a few. Most develop cracks over several years, that's how ivory cue ball are.

I've given you the best advice I can. If you still want to try to make a few bucks, though I wouldn't advise it, go ahead and advertise it as ivory. See what happens.

All the best,
WW

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are talking about a grain that looks like rings on a tree when you cut it down. They are there and center on what you called the nerve spot. I cannot get a good picture of them with my phone. And yes I do have a desire to have something valuable QUOTE]

Not like rings on a tree at all. Ivory grain gets much more faint near the nerve.

Just for your information, the last retailer to turn and sell ivory cue balls was A.E. Schmidt in the early 80s or late 70s. I've owned a few. Most develop cracks over several years, that's how ivory cue ball are.

I've given you the best advice I can. If you still want to try to make a few bucks, though I wouldn't advise it, go ahead and advertise it as ivory. See what happens.

All the best,
WW
Thanks for your input. Let's see what others say.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most ivory cue balls show some signs of wear, like hairline cracks or discoloration. This ball almost looks too good to be ivory.

RogerO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most ivory cue balls show some signs of wear, like hairline cracks or discoloration. This ball almost looks too good to be ivory.

Jay:
Depends on how it's cared for. I have a number 1 clear that I've had for over 30 years and it's pristine. Of course, I never use it.

Roger

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I understand why all the questions, but my view is that the ball is ivory and in excellent overall condition.
Your pictures are not helping, but I believe the ball is ivory.

Will Prout

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it possible the ivory came from a different piece of stock, and has a unique grain?
Hard to imagine every ivory cue ball would be identical; seeing as it's an animal tooth.
Maybe it was a younger elephant with smaller nerve growth in the tusk...?
In your 2nd set of photos shows distinct growth ring like grain.
What's shocking is the immaculate condition!
Like it was trapped in an air tight cushioned time capsule!
Did the store have any info available, or even know what they really had here???

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it possible the ivory came from a different piece of stock, and has a unique grain?
Hard to imagine every ivory cue ball would be identical; seeing as it's an animal tooth.
Maybe it was a younger elephant with smaller nerve growth in the tusk...?
In your 2nd set of photos shows distinct growth ring like grain.
What's shocking is the immaculate condition!
Like it was trapped in an air tight cushioned time capsule!
Did the store have any info available, or even know what they really had here???
We asked where they came from and she said she wasn't sure but they were all in a jar. It came with other pool balls that are very used, have chalk scuffs and discolored. None of the others have the grain like this one. She had the set for 39. I asked for 30 and she agreed.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It appears to be ivory to me, also. Pictures could be better but the grain is there as is the nerve channel.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We asked where they came from and she said she wasn't sure but they were all in a jar. It came with other pool balls that are very used, have chalk scuffs and discolored. None of the others have the grain like this one. She had the set for 39. I asked for 30 and she agreed.

Given that source, I think it's very unlikely that it is some kind of counterfeit ivory. It sure looks like ivory grain to me. What is the diameter?