58" or 59"???

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to get some opinions on the differences between 58" and 59" cue play and action. Other than the obvious replies of: "the 58" is shorter than the 59", some constructive thoughts would be appreciate LoL.

I'm getting a new cue made and have mostly played with a standard 58" for years now. I'm 6' 3" and my arms and not freakishly long but proportioned to my height. I do have wide shoulders and have noticed that I do grip the 58" cue pretty far back on the wrap.

Also, curious to know exactly how the measurement should be taken to determine the cue length. I have been measuring my cues from the end of the ferrule (without the tip), and to the end of the butt (without the bumper). Does that sound like the right way to measure?

Thanks!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have had a bunch of each
i can not tell the difference unless you get really long

58 might be easier to sell,but only because of the fact most people
play 58

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
60...you wont notice it at first but when you try a 58 again you will realize why didnt I switch to a 60 long ago. Every aspect is better.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree 60" is the way to go. Every time I pick up a 58" cue I wonder why it took me over 20 years to try one. Although I am not a fan of the full time extension to me it's too long in you average bar or pool room.

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting comments. Maybe I'll pick up a cheapo 60" and shoot around with it to try it out before I give the final specs to the cue maker.

Any comments on the measuring technique I described for the length of the cue?

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go with a standard 29” butt and then have one of the shafts made to 30” and the other to 29”. If you don’t like it, a decent cue repair man could always take an inch off and put on a new ferrule. Plus it will be easier to sell should you not like it.

I honestly don’t think you will be able to tell much difference unless you start going longer, say 60” or more. With a standard cue you do have options of trying one of the mid extensions or have someone make you a screw in butt extension for longer shots.

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go with a standard 29” butt and then have one of the shafts made to 30” and the other to 29”. If you don’t like it, a decent cue repair man could always take an inch off and put on a new ferrule. Plus it will be easier to sell should you not like it.

I honestly don’t think you will be able to tell much difference unless you start going longer, say 60” or more. With a standard cue you do have options of trying one of the mid extensions or have someone make you a screw in butt extension for longer shots.

Hi Matt, thanks for the comments. I was also wondering what most people do when ordering a custom cue with how the decide to spilt up the cue's lengths.
For instance, if purchasing a 59" cue, would most want the shaft and butt to be even lengths of 29.5 and 29.5?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
57"

There's a reason the best players in the world rocked 56" and 57" cues on 9' and 10' tables

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
57"

There's a reason the best players in the world rocked 56" and 57" cues on 9' and 10' tables

If your bridge and grip hand remain the same on every length cue, then the length only matters when you need to reach.

You aren't going to convince me that a cue length difference of only one inch, shorter or longer, is going to affect your play to any degree.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I’ve been playing with a 60” cue for a while. I switched because my back hand was almost never in the wrap area and hanging off the cue on any type of stretch. I took some lessons with Mark Wilson and he recommended a longer cue to maintain proper form on a greater percentage of shots. I’m 6’1 and don’t have an excessively long bridge.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Matt, thanks for the comments. I was also wondering what most people do when ordering a custom cue with how the decide to spilt up the cue's lengths.
For instance, if purchasing a 59" cue, would most want the shaft and butt to be even lengths of 29.5 and 29.5?

To clarify, 57" used to be the standard length but today 58" is the standard. They are typically broken up into equal length split. A good cue maker will make whatever you want as long as its reasonable. The issue is resale. A longer cue will not fit a lot of people and may not fit yours if you are not used to it.

But I do believe you should get not only what you like but something that fits you. This crazy idea of one size fits all is nonsense. All golf club shafts are not the same length, they fit the player. Why should a cue be any different?

With that said, I would advise trying small increments. I use a.58" cue and it fits my frame and typical stroke. I have tried a.few 59 and 60" cues but still shoot with a 58" Gilbert.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But I do believe you should get not only what you like but something that fits you. This crazy idea of one size fits all is nonsense. All golf club shafts are not the same length, they fit the player. Why should a cue be any different?

I have been told that the proper length cue for a person is one where the tip touches your bottom lip as the cue butt is resting on the floor.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been told that the proper length cue for a person is one where the tip touches your bottom lip as the cue butt is resting on the floor.

Interesting. I wonder if there is research behind that or just estimation? You realize everyone reading this will have chalk on their chin later tonight...

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
If your bridge and grip hand remain the same on every length cue, then the length only matters when you need to reach.

You aren't going to convince me that a cue length difference of only one inch, shorter or longer, is going to affect your play to any degree.

I am quite short (5'6") and noticed a difference when I got my 60" Mark Bear cue. It allows me to play more shots without the rest. My bridge is a bit longer but at least I can reach the cue ball :grin:

Dave

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

A 30" shaft will be more whippy than a 29" shaft.
A 29" shaft will be more whippy than a 28" shaft.

Regardless of playability or not, there is a noticeable difference in shaft lengths. I personally prefer a 57" cue and get better action with a shorter cue, because of how I hold them. I don't know how it is possible to maintain the same grip and bridge on a 60" cue vs a 57" cue.

Also, play better cueball so you don't need to reach.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
No one will ever know which is better, whats good for the goose may not be good for the gander. It boils down to personal preference, I hold a 58 inch cue and a 60 in the same spot and can screw up a rack equally as good with either. Those who like 60s will claim them the best and those who like 57, 58 etc...One thing is for sure though, the additional inch or two will come into play a lot. Those who don't like the ladies aid will see a significant decrease in the amount they use it with a longer cue.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
57"

A 30" shaft will be more whippy than a 29" shaft.
A 29" shaft will be more whippy than a 28" shaft.

Regardless of playability or not, there is a noticeable difference in shaft lengths. I personally prefer a 57" cue and get better action with a shorter cue, because of how I hold them. I don't know how it is possible to maintain the same grip and bridge on a 60" cue vs a 57" cue.

Also, play better cueball so you don't need to reach.

Well, now I know who I can borrow a cue from....:)

I started with a 60 inch cue on a 6x12....fiddled with my snooker and pool cues over the
years...settled on 57 inches for both...the shorter cue gives a stronger hit.
And I’m six feet with a 6.3 wing span.

This game isn’t always about making your self comfortable...if a cue does what I want it
to do, I will adjust as much as I can.

Question for Doctor Dave....
...optimum weight, length, and tip diameter for a regulation pool ball?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to get some opinions on the differences between 58" and 59" cue play and action. Other than the obvious replies of: "the 58" is shorter than the 59", some constructive thoughts would be appreciate LoL.

I'm getting a new cue made and have mostly played with a standard 58" for years now. I'm 6' 3" and my arms and not freakishly long but proportioned to my height. I do have wide shoulders and have noticed that I do grip the 58" cue pretty far back on the wrap.

Also, curious to know exactly how the measurement should be taken to determine the cue length. I have been measuring my cues from the end of the ferrule (without the tip), and to the end of the butt (without the bumper). Does that sound like the right way to measure?

Thanks!
Doesn't play any different - just gives you an exra inch - helpful if you often hold the cue with your grip hand at the very end of the butt. 1 or 2 inches extra length cue is particularly helpful for players 6'3" or taller.

JFCastle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'll get the 59".

Would really be helpful if people could comment on how they measure the cue length.