Michael Yednak??????????

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone heard of this guy? He's in the WPS event. Just got smoked 11-1 by Makkonen of Finland. Others i've never heard of are Tommy Najar and Kenny Nguyen. No SVB, Thorpe or Woodward tho. Thorpe said he didn't go because of high overall cost of going.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone heard of this guy? He's in the WPS event. Just got smoked 11-1 by Makkonen of Finland. Others i've never heard of are Tommy Najar and Kenny Nguyen. No SVB, Thorpe or Woodward tho. Thorpe said he didn't go because of high overall cost of going.

nyc guy- has beaten pros before-good guy-musician

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Michael Yednak is a NY based player who lives in Brooklyn and has competed in many tournaments, mostly on the East Coast. He's on the management team at Amsterdam Billiards in NYC. Mike is a real gentleman who represents and promotes pool in a positive way.

Attachments

• Yednak.jpg
    Yednak.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 834
Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kenny Nguyen is a friend and a really nice guy. I think he is there for the experience and to push himself. He is low 600s according to Fargo. Hope he took his A game out there!

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Open level player who competes mainly in north east events. Also runs a very successful 14.1 league out of Amsterdam. in other words, he's a low level pro, but pool is not his full time profession.

very nice guy aswell. always goes out of his way to teach people how to properly play the game.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael Yednak is a NY based player who lives in Brooklyn and has competed in many tournaments, mostly on the East Coast. He's on the management team at Amsterdam Billiards in NYC. Mike is a real gentleman who represents and promotes pool in a positive way.
Just wondering. That's cool he's playing. Just never heard of some of these guys.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I know of Tommy's game. Seen him play a few times. Nice guy to boot.

Yes, a gentleman. Been years since I seen him, but I remember he works hard on growing his game. Back then he wasn't quite short stop speed but was kissing it in the a$$. Nobody in the region was favorite to beat him, and he was a kid, maybe just old enough to drink. If he kept up with pool I would assume he's much better now.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Michael Yednak Streams many of the straight pool matches at Amsterdam billiards. I have watched him play online and in person and he plays the game very well.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mike plays lots of tourneys in the NY area. To my knowledge he is an A+/Open level player.

I just played Tommy Najar in a mini at the Expo. Also an A+ type player, 671 fargo.

Both nice guys and good players in my experience.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Out of the total of 31 players (1 forfeited out) just 8 are from the USA -- none in the current top 50 USA FargoRate list, 3 from the second 50.

5 of the 8 USA players went two and out. The other 3 (Korsiak, Robinson, Lombardo) are still alive with 1 loss in their 2 matches so far. One match was USA vs. USA; in their other 14 matches (2 wins, 12 losses) Thursday the 8 USA players collectively won 34% of their games.

Kudos to Chris Robinson for his 11-8 win over Pagulayan.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never heard of Robinson but he played great against Alex. Where is he from?

From a news release on the AzB front page:

"Playing on the one-loss side of the bracket after a first-round loss, Pagulayan was upset 11-8 by California’s Chris Robinson – a three-time state junior champion and the 2015 Billiard Education Foundation national junior 9-ball champion."

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Michael actually plays quite a bit. Here is the last two years
What could SVB, Thorpe or Woodward give him? The 7ball? More? Point i've been trying to make is this is supposed to be some big event and the best players from the host country are AWOL. If cost is their reason then how do the Euro's seem to make it?? Gotta cost them a lot more than a US-based player.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What could SVB, Thorpe or Woodward give him? The 7ball? More? Point i've been trying to make is this is supposed to be some big event and the best players from the host country are AWOL. If cost is their reason then how do the Euro's seem to make it?? Gotta cost them a lot more than a US-based player.

Not necessarily a lot more to come in from Europe. There are some decent fares. And with a steep entry fee and sleeping and eating in NYC while you are there --the cost for US players who need to fly there is similar.

It is ridiculous there is no mechanism to provide support to our top players to travel to and enter major events. FargoRate is interested in finding/creating such a mechanism.

One thing we have to realize is that when Bergman or Oscar etc travel to Texas Open or Turning Stone or Four Bears or lots of other big tournaments they can reasonably have an expectation of a positive return. It may not happen, but it at least a reasonable expectation. Those tournaments have champions for sure, but they have some dead $$ and lots of wounded $$.

For the tournament we are most interested in these players playing--the truly major events with limited fields--even world class players don't have an expectation of positive return. We need to be realistic and recognize this.