Center ball?

fy1017

Registered
My question is what is the difference between hit the CB in the center vs hitting the CB above center?

If a pool player hits center ball but NOT hard enough to make it slide, CB rolling how does it affect the OB. I was told that hitting center CB, but the CB is rolling, it will NOT induced cut induce throw. Is that true.
I use a lot of above center to cut balls in but not hard enough that the CB will go 90% then forward.
I see NO difference in a CB rolling when hit above center or center CB not hard enough to slide, rolling CB to cut an OB. Please correct me if I am wrong because to me a rolling CB is rolling CB regardless if I hit Center CB or above Center CB.
No side spins in any of the shots.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's very difficult to strike the QB dead center on its vertical axis.
What happens when using the center axis is collision induced throw will throw the OB off of its intended path slightly.
It's better to error on the helping side of the QB.
JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My question is what is the difference between hit the CB in the center vs hitting the CB above center?

If a pool player hits center ball but NOT hard enough to make it slide, CB rolling how does it affect the OB. I was told that hitting center CB, but the CB is rolling, it will NOT induced cut induce throw. Is that true.
I use a lot of above center to cut balls in but not hard enough that the CB will go 90% then forward.
I see NO difference in a CB rolling when hit above center or center CB not hard enough to slide, rolling CB to cut an OB. Please correct me if I am wrong because to me a rolling CB is rolling CB regardless if I hit Center CB or above Center CB.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Rolling is Rolling.

When we hit the cue ball the first thing the cue ball does is skid away from the cue tip. Once it's rolling, it's just keeps rolling along.

randyg

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe collision induced throw happens regardless of whether or not the CB is rolling into the OB. Speed at impact has a lot to do with it. And a sliding CB (stun shot) of course will cause maximum throw. Like another poster said, rolling is rolling. And the CB slides a little every time the cue tip hits it, unless the shot is struck softly above center. Dr Dave did some great work on this throw topic.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Some people think there are only three (non-side-spin) states of the cue ball: rolling smoothly, sliding and spinning backwards. That's a horrible oversimplification. It is possible to hit the cue ball with -- starting from the top and working down -- "excess" follow, immediate smooth rolling, partial follow, stun or slide, dull draw, full draw, and extreme draw, as well as each amount of follow/draw between those values. That's an infinite number of possibilities.

As soon as the cue ball leaves the tip, the rubbing on the cloth will cause all of these different states to gradually move to the normal state of the cue ball which is rolling smoothly on the cloth.

If the cue ball is rolling smoothly on the cloth when it hits the object ball, there will still be some collision-induced throw, but it will be less than if the cue ball arrives with stun (no spin at all).

I'm not sure what you mean by "the CB will go 90% then forward".

A major problem with your experiments probably is that you don't know how much follow the cue ball has when it arrives at the object ball. If you start it with anything other than smooth rolling the amount of follow will be constantly changing until it becomes smooth rolling.

As for your last comment, I assume you are taking about hitting the cue ball CB but having enough time in its travel for it to acquire smooth rolling. The object ball does not care what you start the cue ball with, it only sees what the cue ball has when it arrives.

You might find the wagonwheel drill useful for understanding both different qualities of follow/draw and the effect of full/partial follow on cut angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b42018ceoE

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
As a gedanken to help, there is a difference between a perfectly level cue striking dead center ball and a cue that is slightly elevated, striking slightly downward, as on a typical stroke taken with the butt held above an interfering rail (the rail height interfering with a perfectly level cue).

Center ball is a great thing to practice with because it's challenging to pocket balls with it. During play, a dash below or above center, combined with different strokes, is a powerful tool.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people think there are only three (non-side-spin) states of the cue ball: rolling smoothly, sliding and spinning backwards. That's a horrible oversimplification. It is possible to hit the cue ball with -- starting from the top and working down -- "excess" follow, immediate smooth rolling, partial follow, stun or slide, dull draw, full draw, and extreme draw, as well as each amount of follow/draw between those values. That's an infinite number of possibilities.

As soon as the cue ball leaves the tip, the rubbing on the cloth will cause all of these different states to gradually move to the normal state of the cue ball which is rolling smoothly on the cloth.

If the cue ball is rolling smoothly on the cloth when it hits the object ball, there will still be some collision-induced throw, but it will be less than if the cue ball arrives with stun (no spin at all).

I'm not sure what you mean by "the CB will go 90% then forward".

A major problem with your experiments probably is that you don't know how much follow the cue ball has when it arrives at the object ball. If you start it with anything other than smooth rolling the amount of follow will be constantly changing until it becomes smooth rolling.

As for your last comment, I assume you are taking about hitting the cue ball CB but having enough time in its travel for it to acquire smooth rolling. The object ball does not care what you start the cue ball with, it only sees what the cue ball has when it arrives.

You might find the wagonwheel drill useful for understanding both different qualities of follow/draw and the effect of full/partial follow on cut angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b42018ceoE

AND, it all changes as distance between cueball and object ball changes.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
My pool instructor describes "center ball" as a stop shot plus about six inches if hitting a straight in. It's a beautiful shot to watch when it's performed at all speeds. To demonstrate it at an angle, place the OB one ball width toward the center table from the foot spot and make both balls in the opposite corners. The stun tangent line is just short of the corner pocket. Do this at soft speed working up to warp speed.