Anything wrong with a short back stroke?

jabstroke

Registered
I use a very short backstroke and a relatively short follow through. Is there anything wrong with it that i seldom see people use it? It is similar to Yang ching shun. Obviously Yang is a great player but even with the pros he is the only player i see who use a very short backstroke. I sometimes think that my stroke causes me to miss some shots.

jabstroke

Registered
I notice i get tired easily when using a short backstroke because i have to put power on my forward stroke. After a few hours of play, I would use a free flowing stroke and thus i developed inconsistency on my game.
Also i drop my shoulder and elbow when using a short backstroke in order to generate a good follow through.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
There is nothing "wrong" with a short backstroke. It can make shooting at higher speeds a bit more difficult. The key is to be consistent in every aspect of your stroke.
this includes both your backstroke and follow through. Find the distance that will work for all your shots, and stick with it.
Steve

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything that is tought in Billiards is about balance and finding the proper corrections for your body's fault.

For me, the backstroke is about finding the balance and speed, establishing the exact aim point and consistency. I observe how the cue will move/change in my forward motion. A longer stroke also relaxes the pressure of sudden acceleration and grip and I can hit the CB rather relaxed.
High speed shots are only possible with a longer stroke due to physical limits in accelerating your cue.
Also a longer stroke helps with developing dynamics.

You might try to adjust for a game or two or when playing on your own.
Stick to it for a whole game no matter the outcome.
Don't play on 8 for 7 ft tables (they ruin everything!) and also pick slower cloth. This will help, too.
Don't go for a long stroke, but just a bit longer than usual.

Yang's stroke sure is not nice to watch.
He's also hitting the CB just a moment before he's hitting his body with right hand; the CB contact is not at the most relaxed point in the movement, but near the end and approaching the uneasy part of the movement.

That doesn't leave him with a lot of dynamics, too.
If you watch closely you'll see he's not having good speed control, but every shot more or less looks the same in CB speed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbvh7d3RoxI

That's not something you want to achieve.
Shaun Murphy is very nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgJXm65jaUs

Cheers,
M
Cheers,
M

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a very short backstroke and a relatively short follow through. Is there anything wrong with it that i seldom see people use it? It is similar to Yang ching shun. Obviously Yang is a great player but even with the pros he is the only player i see who use a very short backstroke. I sometimes think that my stroke causes me to miss some shots.

This is a very difficult question to answer because it's hard to generalize about things like this. You may think your stroke is similar to Yang's, but then again, it may not be. The smallest of differences can matter a lot.

First, pro players with short strokes don't like to shoot big shots. It might appear that they don't play position well, but that's not true. They're just sacrificing the angle sometimes in order to get close to the next shot.

It's easier to do that when the playing conditions are excellent as they are in most pro events. In everyday playing conditions, it's not as easy to do.

Yes, an abbreviated stroke can be more efficient, but you still need good stroke timing to make it work for you. No poking. You'll probably have to play a different game than players with longer strokes. You will have to play closer position to your next shot and will most likely have to play more safe shots rather than go for the big shots with multi-rail position. Most players don't like to play that style, which is why you don't see it a lot.

jabstroke

Registered
@M.G. - Well i tried it for a day and it did not go very well. I dont feel my shots. My cue ball control, positioning and pocketing are way off. Also my stance feels unnatural when trying to get a longer backstroke. Maybe i just need to put more time into it.

jabstroke

Registered
@francrimi - Yes, it is not exactly like Yangs' stroke. It was only for reference. But you are right about big shots. I want the cue ball as close as possible and play natural angles. I dont like to move the cue ball too much because i have to hit it harder which is a bit difficult with short backstroke.
Can you tell me more about stroke timing and efficiency? Thanks for the input.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@francrimi - Yes, it is not exactly like Yangs' stroke. It was only for reference. But you are right about big shots. I want the cue ball as close as possible and play natural angles. I dont like to move the cue ball too much because i have to hit it harder which is a bit difficult with short backstroke.
Can you tell me more about stroke timing and efficiency? Thanks for the input.

Make sure you follow through adequately on every shot. It will help your stroke timing. A good follow through is an indicator of a well-timed stroke. You don't want to decelerate before impact.

Efficiency just means doing what's necessary and no more than that. Some players with long strokes have a tendency to over-stroke shots, which only brings out more flaws. A shorter stroke is often more efficient, however, as discussed, it has it's limitations, such as problems with big shots. Your best bet is to develop your skills so that you can use whatever stroke length you need for any given shot.

Short strokes are often born out of fear. A player realizes that he has more control with a shorter stroke and thus begins to limit himself to only that type of stroke. It's a trap, because it will limit your skills. Experiment with a longer stroke on big shots and allow yourself to miss. Don't be so quick to give up. That's where the trap is --- it makes you want to hurry back to your short stroke. Resist that.

Last edited:

rrick33

Rick
Silver Member
I think the OP answered his own question when he said he eventually gets tired because he's forcing or pushing the stroke.

This is not the desired effect so.... there is obviously something wrong with the approach, regardless of your accuracy.

You may need to learn to stroke the ball with a relaxed stroke.
It will eliminate this problem and may improve your accuracy as well.